V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, rode the bike today for the first time in about a month and it did the weird thing again.

Definition of 'weird thing': I turn on the ignition and push start and nothing, but I keep holding the start down and after a long second it cranks.
It has done this twice before, each time only after a period of siting.
Fresh gell pack battery this year, new plugs and no gas issues. (new iginition switch)

Interestingly the pause is longer when the bike has been siting for a longer period of time. The first time it was only a half second pause then it fired right up.

(only thing I noticed is the first time it did this, the push, nothing, hold down, then 'oh yea, you want me to turn over, here ya go', I noticed that I had lost the brake lights from front and rear brakes.)
Had lost front brake lights before and it was just a bad switch, but never had both go out at the same time.

So, OK I give up ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
brake light is prob just the bulb you could have a sarter button going but i would check battery cables and connections first

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I would say check your ignition switch and starter switch for possibly corrosion or a thin film( can't think of the technical name) that can build up over time. I've had stuff not work or not work right and after pulling the canon plug off or reseating the equipment then everything works right. If that doesn't do it, start going through the system from the batt. to the starter and to the switches checking ALL connections. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I can tell you about several I have fixed that had that very same problem. You seem to see it here quite often. The wire going from your starter relay directly to the starter is normally the problem. It's not that the wire itself is bad, but the wire is very small guage. If it gets the slightest bit of corrosion where the wire is soldered into the spade that slips onto the starter, it will either do exactly what you are experiencing or just click. It could also be your starter button relay, but most often it is what I just described. There is a very easy check for this. Next time it happens, slide the wire off of the starter that comes from the relay, then take a jumper wire and touch to the hot side of the battery and to the male spade on the starter. I bet it spins right over. This is VERY common and usually gets overlooked which leads to alot of people spending money on a new starter, relay, or button. I'm not saying there isn't another problem, but I'll bet this is it.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Thanks Roy,
I have a "93 Heritage and it also does this on occation. I know it is the problem because I just looked at that connection and it is exposed and has some corrosion on it. I have replaced battery cables and the battery and it still did it. I replaced these just because they were old, not to fix this issue. I just ignored it because it always started and I was just waiting for it to hard fail. I just never got around to looking at all the connections. Lazy I guess.
I will clean up that connection and put some dielectric grease on it and I bet my issue goes away.
Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to all, it was a loose connection and is all better now, ?prty:

now if I can just figuer out the brakelites, but see new question posted above. :huh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts