V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the placement of one's patches on his/her vest have any type of meaning or representaion of any sort?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of meanings.....ask around before you do or go to an old school leather shop/tailor /motorcycle shop and ask.

Some things DO mean things and you really dont want to be disrespectful to others !

·
Registered
977 Posts
Does the placement of one's patches on his/her vest have any type of meaning or representaion of any sort?
I've been around the Harley world for 42 years, collected more patches and pins than I could ever hope to put on clothing, most of them are mounted on big cork bulletin boards out in the HD side of my garage.

If you are talking about club patches and/or rockers, you might do as Scott suggested above and do some checking before sewing anything on.

If you are talking about general run of the mill ride patches and pins, I don't think there are any established guidelines. It pretty much seems to be where and when you place them. As you fill a vest, patches are placed as remaining space permits.

That said.... if you get 20 replies to this thread, you will most likely get 20 different answers ! :hystria:

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
It is my understanding from a couple friends I have in the 1% world, any patch placed on the front or the sides mean nothing to them. (This assumes the patch in question is not a knock off of one of there patch's of course)

The one problem you will get into is back patch's.
Any patch that is three piece (A center, top and bottom) will get the attention of any 1% club, and they will question you hassle, possible assault you. It is there domain, even when Harley founded HOG, Harley had to get approval from the main clubs to let there club wear a backpatch.
HOG patch's by our rules state no club can issue a three piece patch We use a two piece, a center and a top. The center patch is the national patch all members wear, the top one is you local chapter with our number and location.
This does mimic the 1% clubs, the bottom patch in the 1% world is the territory your club or chapter claims as theres.
AMA riding clubs follow a similar rule, no three piece, a one or two piece only.

Other patch's I would avoid are the 1% club support one. The Hells Angles sell a red and white "81" patch, the 8 is the eighth letter in the alphabet and A is the first, so a 81 is a way show you support the Hells Angles. The Angles will not care you are wearing a "Bought" patch, unless you are bragging your a member or acting in a way that would reflect poorly on them, then you may find them educating you why you shouldn't be doing that while wearing that patch. It is far more likely a member or a rival club will see it and get offended by you wearing it, supporting there enemy and not wearing one of there support patch's.

1%ers take there club life very seriously, it is there family if you will, I find it best to leave them be.

·
Registered
219 Posts
even when Harley founded HOG, Harley had to get approval from the main clubs to let there club wear a backpatch.
What?!?! I call bullspit on that. I seriously doubt Harley consulted any MCs to get their permission to use a back patch. Harley is a multi-million dollar a year international corporation. It does not need anyone's permission to produce their HOG patch.

·
Registered
959 Posts
What?!?! I call bullspit on that. I seriously doubt Harley consulted any MCs to get their permission to use a back patch. Harley is a multi-million dollar a year international corporation. It does not need anyone's permission to produce their HOG patch.
Wrong about that. I personally know the Harley rep that met with them. He is retired now but told me about the meeting. Very serious chyt when you are talking patches.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Wrong about that. I personally know the Harley rep that met with them. He is retired now but told me about the meeting. Very serious chyt when you are talking patches.
That would not suprise me at all...Knowingly putting your customers out on the street in a conflicting stand against traditional hard core 1% by laws, and the MOCO sets its self up for major liability issues I would think.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Whatever you say. I still don't buy it.
John at the parts counter in Pensacola is very knowlegeable, he probably can enlighten you. If not, Vallerie Letterman, the regional rep for HOG in your area knows the specifics of the meeting. HOG takes this very serious and knows the importance and stress that HOG patch placement must follow the guidelines agreed to at the meeting. The mc's look at HOG as a joke and by their standards we are, but we must abide by their rules if we are to peacefully coexist . I am a HOG member but dont wear a patch, just dont want to.

·
Registered
629 Posts
In my area wearing a 'club support' tee-shirt can get one deanimated.

Being courteous and respectful to others and their beliefs can help one have a long and happy life.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Patches

Dirtyshoprags, with all due respect I think you should do some reading/research about wearing a three piece patch. I belong to an international group that wear one. We are not a 1% club, however, we follow the same form of protocol re patches ie. prospect, one rocker, then the next etc...
It took numerous meetings with the different 1% clubs to get their approval.
Whatever makes you think that members of a 1% club would be intimidated by Harley Davidson Corp and bend the rules for them?
Believe it, Harley of all people would know well enough to get the patch thing ok'd by the "right" guys before putting them out there.

·
Registered
169 Posts
In my experience as far as other clubs, 1% etc, you don't want the same text or colors (together or separately) on the back rocker. Some clubs will defend their colors and don't want them copied. Once you get off the rocker, it's not too big a deal as long as you don't have anything that obviously copies or disrespects any other club.

As for the American flag, it should always be above any other patch. Most folks wear it just above their heart on the left side.

Most all my patches are either Harley, POW/MIA or Veteran related so I'm pretty safe. If anything on my vest was to be challenged, it would only removed from my dead or badly beaten body.

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
I've been a HOG member since 1985. There was a little heartburn here and there with some outlaw clubs about the HOG patch when they first started to appear. Any new patch being seen in numbers gets close scrutiny. HOG started in 1984. Some ruffled feathers needed smoothed out in different parts of the country over this. Bottom line is HOG will NOT have a bottom rocker or the word MC on their patch. Other than that, unless you belong to some club or try to be a faux 1%er, you can put patches anywhere you like.

·
Registered
219 Posts
HOG is by no means a MC or 1% club, nor do they claim to be. I know about the rules regarding a three piece patch. HOG does not have a three piece patch, nor an MC designator patch. That is why I don't buy that HOG would need or seek permission for their HOG patch. Sure, I will go along with that fact that they took the three piece patch rules into consideration when designing the HOG patch, but I am not convinced that they sought the permission of leading 1% clubs to put their patch out. None of the veterans riding organizations, Amvets Riders, Legion Riders, VFW Riders, PGR, need permission from MCs to have a back patch because like HOG, it is blatantly obvious that they are in no way, shape, or form an MC. They do not claim to be and they have clearly avoided using a three piece patch. So, as I stated before, I just don't buy it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
HOG is by no means a MC or 1% club, nor do they claim to be. I know about the rules regarding a three piece patch. HOG does not have a three piece patch, nor an MC designator patch. That is why I don't buy that HOG would need or seek permission for their HOG patch. Sure, I will go along with that fact that they took the three piece patch rules into consideration when designing the HOG patch, but I am not convinced that they sought the permission of leading 1% clubs to put their patch out. None of the veterans riding organizations, Amvets Riders, Legion Riders, VFW Riders, PGR, need permission from MCs to have a back patch because like HOG, it is blatantly obvious that they are in no way, shape, or form an MC. They do not claim to be and they have clearly avoided using a three piece patch. So, as I stated before, I just don't buy it.
Remember when HOG was started in the mid 80's the clubs mentioned above did not exist, HOG was trying something new to everyone. The only patch wearers were 1%s.
Arnie Beaman, now retired from harley, met with the confederation of clubs in Calif. to explain what Harley was trying to do but wanted to show respect to the clubs and to eliminate problems for HOG members. Times have changed, back then you just didn't just make up a patch and go enjoy. :cya:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Remember when HOG was started in the mid 80's the clubs mentioned above did not exist, HOG was trying something new to everyone. The only patch wearers were 1%s.
Arnie Beaman, now retired from harley, met with the confederation of clubs in Calif. to explain what Harley was trying to do but wanted to show respect to the clubs and to eliminate problems for HOG members. Times have changed, back then you just didn't just make up a patch and go enjoy. :cya:
Hmmm, I guess I didn't really take that into consideration. Now that the argument has been placed in its proper context I suppose I stand corrected.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Not exactly true about PGR. There was an issue in Oklahoma a couple years back where a local club has the same colors as PGR.
There was a meeting and the local club prevailed. Since then members nationally have been asked not to wear certain PGR logo items, particularly the back patch, unless on a mission. PGR is not a club and this was also part of the reasoning for the decision.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There are several three-piece patch MC clubs that aren't 1%ers such as LEO and veterans' clubs. There are also clubs for various ethnicities as well.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts