V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of installing the passing lamp kit with the turn signal relocation kit. This is on a 02 fatboy. Once I tighten up the bolt to hold the passing lamp on and install the turn signal I cant get to the bolt to loosen the passing lamps, and at the moment the lights appear to be pointing alittle up and I cant move them without loosening the bolt.

"So when I am done if I need to repoint the light down or up I would not be able to do it, I can move them left and right"

The instructions are pretty easy I dont think I screwed up.....anybody have any ideas, could somebody go grab there passing lamps and see if they move, maybe I just have everthing to tight...

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I take it you have the turn signale mounted under the passing lamps. You can take a 9/16 socket and cut a slot in it to clear the wiring and then you leave the turn signal off and adjust the passing lamp to the correct level. This can be easy if you have a second pair of hands to hold the lamp wheil you tighten it.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I always just take the sealed beam out, remove the wiring from the housing out the bottom thru the hollow hole, align the housing so it is level aligned up with the headlight, re-insert the wiring and hook to the sealed beam.

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
adjustment

Ok the slot in the socket sound good, but how would you get a slot cut in the socket? grinder???

Ed, your idea is what I was thinking but once I run the wires they wont be easly removed, ans no matter how I adjust them I cant really tell till I ride it, It will be some time before I can get it out at night... I just reinstalled the headlight so that will be screwed up also...

I could try too put a level on it and plumb the front of the light then put in the sealed beam. but if I am wrong then go to the scoket....

But shouldnt the lights move..for easy adjustment?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Being that I work at a dealer and saw that the Kent moore tool is nothing more than a socket with a slot I took a cheap Craftsman and used a die grinder to cut two slots. Then I used a pair of needle nose vise grips ans snapped off the slot of steel. Then I used a small file to knock done the sharp edges.

Every new bike that comes in nned a passing lamp/ headlight adjustment.

This tool makes the whole job take about 5 minutes tops. Also the use of a long ball allen to get to the allens for the turn signals makes the job go much smother. Use might try a dremel tool to cut the socket. I would try to use a chrome one as they are much thinner. Good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
HD wrench knows what he's talking about. i did the same thing on my Heritage. most wrench's you can cut with a hack saw. I found that if you sit on the bike point the head lamp at the garage door or a wall , mark the centre of the beam then cover the head lamp with a towel. You can then set the passing lamps where you want. Sh*t design but then they are tractors.

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the socket is made, and it looks like it will work nicely...I will have to wait till the weather warm up to do it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts