V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all I ride a sportster its an 2004 1200r , but my wife gets very uncomfortable after a couple of hours riding , she says the foot peg position cramps her, she is around 5'6 and about 135lbs , is there much difference in the passenger seating on a dyna? im not sure I want to trade for an ultra glide or a road king , I do have an ultra classic rented for my vacation in feb so I suppose that will answer that question, but I keep looking at a super glide. Im not interested in a soft tail since I can get a ultra classic for the same money.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
The Dyna is not a two person bike. My wife is about the same size and she is good for 50-60 miles at best even after a new seat, back rest and foot peg extensions. Take a look at the StreetGlide. NICE!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Never owned Dyna. Some people think FXDWG is good for two people. I vote for FLHR. It still has a more stripped down look then dresser.

·
Registered
769 Posts
berserker said:
Never owned Dyna. Some people think FXDWG is good for two people. I vote for FLHR. It still has a more stripped down look then dresser.

I have owned both a FLHTC and a dyna FXDL...... Get the bagger .......i suggest not buying into the less is more concept of the streetglide .....If you are going to ride two up or travel at all ,, get at least the classic.... if you can afford it go whole hog with the ultra ......rat

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I've owned both and currently sport the bagger. The Dyna is okay for short 2 up rides if the wife is small, but if you load it down heavy you run into handling problems. The bagger can carry 2 all day and then some. Any of the touring models should provide the wife with a nice ride. My choice for 2 up is the FLHTCI / U

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Go for the bagger

Went from the Dyna Superglide to a Roadking in September. Dyna is great around town but about 100 mi is as far as I wanted to go. Go for the bagger whichever model you choose. The rental will probably make up your mind but it does handle differently (actually better with practice). Road king just made sense to me, pull the windshield off for around town, back on for touring. Good luck Dan the tractor man-2$en#e-

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I've got a DWG and no complaints from the OL. We've gone 400 miles in one day and she's fine. She is 5'5" and about 115lbs. Go test ride the bikes you like. Take her along with you. That's the best way to decide.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It all depends on how much 2 up riding you do, a Dyna is fine for 2 up but if you want to ride all day long 2 up a bagger is a must. I have a Dyna SuperGlide and 200 miles is all my wife can handle at a time, I have done over 600 miles in a day solo though.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Like others have said, it depends on howmuch 2 up you do and how comfortable you want to be. I went from a XL883 right to a Bagger and haven't looked back. My wife is like a lizzard on a flat rock when we ride on a sunny day, there have been times were she has dozed off. If your going to decide on another bike follow the advice others have offered and ride a few bikes. For me I'm a fan of the Ultra, I had a 05 EG Classic which was a great bike I just decided I wanted more of the creature comforts that the Ultra had to offer.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
If you want the dyna, get it but keep the sporty and let her learn to ride her own! Otherwise, get a dresser! I am partial to Road Glide but SHHHH! They are harley's best kept secret......
I also did 50K miles on a softail and I loved that bike but I gotta tell you, I would never give up my RG except maybe for a 2008 with Revolution motor and ABS.....
Hey, I can dream? plus maybe the MOCO's listening...

·
C'ya on the road
146 Posts
Duoglide_62 said:
The Dyna is not a two person bike. My wife is about the same size and she is good for 50-60 miles at best even after a new seat, back rest and foot peg extensions. Take a look at the StreetGlide. NICE!
Had to respond.:mad: I have an 05 Dyna and a 03 Roadking classic. The Dyna has a Sundowner two up seat on it, including a passenger backrest. When it's time to leave on a ride, and I mean ride, not just to the next town, the g/f wants me to take the Dyna. Says she like's it better than the Roadking. She'll ride it as long as I do, no problem. Oh, and she's 68.

Snarly

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm well I have a sundowner seat and back rest on the sporty so I suppose that answers that question , maybe I will keep my sporty for riding solo and look into a used e-glide . thanks everybody for your response.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Ditto...except that the wife is good for about 300 miles per day. It also depends on what type of seat you have installed. I've got the sundowner, which has the widest passenger seat available (12.5" wide). I also have a set of adjustable pegs so the the wifey can move her feet around.

sthorp said:
It all depends on how much 2 up riding you do, a Dyna is fine for 2 up but if you want to ride all day long 2 up a bagger is a must. I have a Dyna SuperGlide and 200 miles is all my wife can handle at a time, I have done over 600 miles in a day solo though.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Bagger

I started the wife out on a Dyna. Mostly short trips. Then I got an EG-Classic.
It's way better for long hauls. You'll love the space. Kept the Dyna for solo rippin around. Best of both worlds.
Cheers, BigR.

·
Registered
227 Posts
right now most of my rideing is on a 06 SuperGlide and moma loves it. i bought the base modle and then added the pasanger pinion add on seat, nice pegs and sissybar backrest. we've done 2 600 mile overnight holiday inn campouts thats 300 out and 300 back with no problems. i crank up the rear shocks 2 notchs, add a set of willie$max saddle bags and a back pack on the sissy bar/backrest. wife not one of those see through modles she's 5'7 150lb but she's ridden all her life and knows how to ride.
for longer trips or if your lady rides full time a bagger would IMHO serve you better. but if your more like me and ride mostly solo with a 2 up trip every now and then a Dyna will be vary useable and much more fun to ride solo. IMHO
if you must give up your Sporty that is!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thomas Howard said:
right now most of my rideing is on a 06 SuperGlide and moma loves it. i bought the base modle and then added the pasanger pinion add on seat, nice pegs and sissybar backrest. we've done 2 600 mile overnight holiday inn campouts thats 300 out and 300 back with no problems. i crank up the rear shocks 2 notchs, add a set of willie$max saddle bags and a back pack on the sissy bar/backrest. wife not one of those see through modles she's 5'7 150lb but she's ridden all her life and knows how to ride.
for longer trips or if your lady rides full time a bagger would IMHO serve you better. but if your more like me and ride mostly solo with a 2 up trip every now and then a Dyna will be vary useable and much more fun to ride solo. IMHO
if you must give up your Sporty that is!

I had a dyna and an electra glide at the same time for quite a few years ......i am down to just the glide these days ,,,, dynas are great bikes ,,,but i find them to be what i call a 300 mile a day bike ...... this can fit into most weekend type trip missions and you can gut it out two up ......mrs rat called the dyna lowrider even with the mustang seat back rest and bags a 50/50 bike ..... ride 50 out ,, ride 50 back and it was time for her to get off the dyna glide ..... the electra glide on the other hand is a 500 mile a day bike easy ,,,, and you get up the next day and do it again .....rat

·
Registered
479 Posts
My wife rode the back of my FXD twice. She had to get off and rest her backside after an hour. Also, she didn't like looking at the back of my helmet. Her solution? She got her own bike. Now she's comfortable and can see clearly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.