V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install the passenger grab rails on a 2006 ULTRA? H-D part #91583-99, will not fit Touring models with tour-pak mounted rear speakers..... I have heard that if the mounting part of the rail is bent a little it will fit. But that may just be an urban legend.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
It fits if the tourpak is in the rearward position...that's how mine came from the factory...i bought mine on ebay for $40...didn't have to bend them too much.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
It Can Be Installed

MSocko3 installed the grab handels on his 06 Ultra. The Tour Pak is in the rear position and he had to bend the grab handles a little bit.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good deal, I will try to find a pair, $40 sounds better than $128. My tour pak is in the rear position, Does the mounting take any special trick or method? What part of the rail did u bend?
thanks.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Surf Ebay and you should be able to bag a set cheap enough, I paid 50 beans for mine.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
KRATC said:
Does the mounting take any special trick or method? What part of the rail did u bend?
thanks.
The part thats in the way:roflback:

·
Registered
250 Posts
The rail from my '00 Standard fits my '06 Ultra just fine, with no bending if the tour Pac is in rear position. The service manual says the tour pac must be in the rear position to remove the seat - so I plan to leave it in the rear position as removing the seat is required for many routine maintenance tasks.

The new rail I bought from the local dealer does not fit either bike as the angle is too wide. I found that by adding a couple of washers under the mounting plate to raise the rail about 1/16", it fit both bikes just fine.

Yes, I could bend the new rail or take it back for an exchange, but I figure its on now and works fine ---so why screw with it --- the next one may be worse.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yes it will fit with your tour pak in the rear position. i loosened my tour pak speakers and had about 1/4" play to move them up to give more clearence for the handrails.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
With everyone stating the the 'milk crate' has to be in 'rear' position to install the grab rails, it would seem instead of making the adjustable 'tour pak' add more room, it seems to have taken it away. I don't have an adjustable one and it seems it doesn't make any difference....

·
Registered
250 Posts
It appears to me that the passenger grab rails were deleted just so HD could squeeze another dime out of each sale.......

They had to go out of their way to come up with a BS excuse like this one to delete a stock item. What next--- Will the transmission be optional?

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Snobal said:
It appears to me that the passenger grab rails were deleted just so HD could squeeze another dime out of each sale.......

They had to go out of their way to come up with a BS excuse like this one to delete a stock item. What next--- Will the transmission be optional?
What they did for 06 was lower the tour-pak which made the rear speakers hit the grab rails when the tour-pak is in the forward position. All I had to do was move the tour-pak to the rear position and tweek the grab rail a tad bit because it was just touching the speakers.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The grab rail off my '02 Ultra fit just fine on my '06 just fine. My Tour Pak is not in the rear position. I didn't have to bend or tweek them. They bolted up perfectly and clear the speakers by a 1/2 inch or so. Only about 1/4 (or less) of the rail hand grips are under the front of the speaker housing. Plently of room for a person's hand w/ gloves. I don't know if the later model grab rails changed any, but the 02's were just fine.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
TBo said:
The grab rail off my '02 Ultra fit just fine on my '06 just fine. My Tour Pak is not in the rear position. I didn't have to bend or tweek them. They bolted up perfectly and clear the speakers by a 1/2 inch or so. Only about 1/4 (or less) of the rail hand grips are under the front of the speaker housing. Plently of room for a person's hand w/ gloves. I don't know if the later model grab rails changed any, but the 02's were just fine.
Sounds to me like your tour-pak has to be in the rear position, or something else strange is going on. A picture of my grap rail installed with the tour-pak in the rear position is in this thread

http://65.38.172.84/forums/showthread.php?t=62649

·
Registered
622 Posts
Now you have me curious...:unsure: I'll have to look.. It was in whatever position the dealer set it up in... I'll pull the liner and check....

·
GottaRideS'more
278 Posts
Removable TourPack

I've got my (2006) TourPack mounted on the removable platforrm.
Not only can you position the pack one "notch" rearward as you would on the standard mounting bar, but you have two positions to mount the "mounting" bar on the removable platform so you get an extra 3/4 inch or so.

We've got plenty of room (an inch maybe) between the passenger grab rail (that I bought second-hand from the service manager at my favorite dealer for a very reasonable price) and the rear speakers.

BTW - also installed the Passenger Grab Rail Covers (PN 91668-05) which make my passengers very happy.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My tour pak is mounted in the foward position. I will check the mounting bar itself... but everything fits..
T

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have mine in the rear position, but my buddy has the grab rails on with his tour pack in the front position. Both fit fine.... both '06 Ultra Classics.

·
straightshoooter
52 Posts
08 Ultra SE Grab Rails?

Anyone try installing them on an 08 with tour pak and speakers? Any aftermarket ones out there? thx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, I did. Used HD grabrail I got from Zanotti's for $84.00. Tour pak was in the rear position so I had no problems with clearance.

Oops, just re-read your question, mine was installed on a 08 Ultra, not a 08 Ultra SE.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts