V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a pair of chrome passenger board covers as a gift. Destructions say drill 5/32 hole for the self tappers- in the Uk i can only go with Metric in mm should I go slightly larger or smaller....

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
Size doesn't matter.

:sofa:

·
Enjoy The Silence
158 Posts
Drill the hole slightly smaller so that there is still metal for the threads to grab.

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
5/32 = 3.97mm
I would start with the closest metric size under first. Maybe try
running the bit thru a couple times if you need to before going to the
next size.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
a 5/32" drill = .156

a 4 mm drill = .157____ .001 is not going to matter

a 3.9 mm drill is .153____ if you have this size available, you can use it

use a new drill bit...if you use one that has been sharpened & one cutting edge is longer than the other, it will drill a slightly bigger hole.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
make sure the hole is drilled strait though.....if the drill is tilted up/down or side to side the hole will be drilled a little crooked....You will not be able to tell until the screw is in and its tilted....just a little pointer that may be obvious but forgotten......tx

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Be careful, the holes will strip easily. I stripped one and had to go to the hardware store and get their chrome offering of the next size up. The quality of the chrome was actually better. I am glad I had to do that.

YB

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

I'll go with the 4mm. Thanks for the advice, Ive not done much with metalwork and self tappers for about 20 years! I remember now, too tight = stripped thread.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Can always drill the hole bigger, and go with bigger screws. So start small.

Mine cam ewioth the covers, so not complete sure of the appilcation though, if you need to worry about space.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
just a little advice though. I put a set on my road King last week. ensure you put a little oil on the self tapping screw. it goes in much easier, believe me. I tried one without it. NO GO!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts