V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with John up at Zanotti's:thumbsup: . Going to do the 3.37 gear change. 40269-85A comp. spr. and 37846-99A clutch basket. The question is, should there be any surprises or is this pretty much a straight forward easy change? How much of a pain in the a$$ is it dealing with the clutch hub, as far as removeing the clutch and reinstalling it in the new hub? Thanks for the inputs.~!Awesome!

Tim

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
06 Nighttrain said:
Just got off the phone with John up at Zanotti's:thumbsup: . Going to do the 3.37 gear change. 40269-85A comp. spr. and 37846-99A clutch basket. The question is, should there be any surprises or is this pretty much a straight forward easy change? How much of a pain in the a$$ is it dealing with the clutch hub, as far as removeing the clutch and reinstalling it in the new hub? Thanks for the inputs.~!Awesome!

Tim
Straight forward as can be. Don't forget the gasket. You might need an air wrench to ge the comp nut off and when you put it back on, tighten the comp nut to the new spec.

The book talks about ensuring the sprockets are aligned and I started to get worried about it. A wrench told me you can use a straight edge between the two sprockets and actually see if they're misaligned. Mine were not and so I didn't have to mess with shims. I don't know of anyone who has had to shim either, FYI.

·
Arse Hole and Good at it
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:cheers: thanks, I already have the gaskets and fluid, :whisper: went to local shop for that. Man cant wait to feel the difference after the change :wootdnc: . Thanks again.

Tim

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I went though Zanotti's too. Great price and quick delivery. The 3.37 is a nice difference. I won't say it's quite night and day, but I feel like I'm in the sweet spot of the power band a lot more often. You find yourself clicking through the gears like you're on a sport bike. Enjoy!

Waiting for the warm weather in Jersey,
Chris

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
. You might need an air wrench to ge the comp nut off .
Manual says not to, only as last resort, also written on side of engine no sharp blows.

Biggest problem I had was finding 1.25" 6pnt, 1/2 drive socket. Pretty sure the engine comp nut is 1.25". Wanted a 6 pnt. 1 3/16 is the biggest easy to find 1/2 drive socket. Ended up getting impack socket.

A 3/4 breaker bar at sears is $70. 3/4 ratchet at fleet farm is $40.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
You'll have to press the clutch hub bearing out of the old one and into the new basket. My dealer did it for a pizza for the tech's lunch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts