V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to swap out my sliders and was wondering what parts I should replace. I'm thinking since I don't have 5k on the bike yet maybe just the oil seals should do it (provided I don't screw up anything else taking the old ones off).

Also of thinking of going with the SE fork oil, but don't know if it will be too stiff for the weight of a Super Glide. Also going to a 21" front wheel, if that makes a difference.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
You need something to drive the seals into the new sliders. Get a service manual if you dont have one already. Job looks pretty simple and I'm gonna do the same thing this spring. Would appreciate if you let me know how it goes.

also, I think there are three grades of SE fork oil.. something like A, B and C. Get the medium grade.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about that seal tool. Without seeing it I suspect it isn't much more than a cylinder machined to fit. Probably have something around here that would suffice. I have a service manual.

I could just take them to the dealer, but they want $100 to change them, quoting 1.5 hours if I bring them the forks. Not sure what's involved that would take this long. Looks to me like both of them could be done in less than an hour, especially if you know what you're doing. I would think the dealer should know what they are doing... right?

Actually, I'm starting to think they could almost be done without taking the forks off, but may be wrong about that.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
jrehm said:
Actually, I'm starting to think they could almost be done without taking the forks off, but may be wrong about that.
I was thinking the same thing, but then you probably need to have the forks off to drive the seals in. (Unless you can come up with a tool that can be removed from the fork without needing to slide it off the end.. ) .. I was thinking a person could use the right size of PCV pipe and make a tool. Not sure if it would work, but wouldn't cost much to try it.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
JamieWG said:
I was thinking the same thing, but then you probably need to have the forks off to drive the seals in. (Unless you can come up with a tool that can be removed from the fork without needing to slide it off the end.. ) .. I was thinking a person could use the right size of PCV pipe and make a tool. Not sure if it would work, but wouldn't cost much to try it.
You can get fork seal drivers from Race Tech that are two piece and different sizes for different forks.

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to pick up the seals tomorrow (or today depending on where you are). Once I see those I can figure something out. A PCV coupler or something similar just might do it. I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
jrehm said:
A PCV coupler or something similar just might do it. I'll let you know.
:lurker:

The size of the seals is not a standard size PVC pipe. I tried to find something that would work but ended up buying the 2 piece driver.
IMHO, money well spent. With the 2 piece driver, you can replace the lower sliders and install new seals without taking the fork tubes out of the triple trees.

You will need an 8mm allen head socket(I think it is a 8, maybe a 6?) and an impact driver to loosen the bolt that hold the sliders on to the fork tubes. It will be tight and there is no way to hold the damper tube inside the fork tube from turning.

I would buy the seal installer and use new seals. I also would replace the upper and lower bushings in the forks while I have them apart.

Make sure the tubes and seal installer are spotless and use lots of WD40 or you will scratch the fork tubes.

It is an easy job that most could handle at home.

Brad

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might take them to the indy up the road and have them just smack in the seals or something. Wouldn't mind buying the tool, but 70 bucks seems a bit steep for something I may only use once or twice. If I can't find something that fits, I'll make something.

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just picked up the new seals. They are about the same thing as an inner wheel bearing seal on a car, so doesn't look like a big deal to find something that will fit to drive them in. Of course, the actual tool would be best, but if one is careful I think they shouldn't be too difficult to install without a purpose made tool.

However, I'm in a bit of a quandry. While at the dealer I was looking at the '06 Dyna and fell in love with the 49mm forks. Talking to them I found that I could put the 49mm on my '05 with a triple tree change. I don't know the cost in doing this, but I'm betting it's quite a chunk of change so it's probably not gonna happen or won't happen for quite some time. They sure look nice though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts