V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a friend who the dealer talked into the big bore "kit"...which comes with SE 203 cams and also CONvinced him to buy the CNC ported HTCC heads and pistons.

So he's running a 10.5 compression ratio with the 203's...definately NOT a good idea for starter and engine health. He had to have some considerable SERT tuning to dial it in so it wouldn't ping.

So He's thinking about a gear drive cam now and doesn't need anymore power (his currently dyno's with 94hp/104 lb-ft) and he doesn't really want to go with an extreme lift cam requiring roller rockers.

Ok...so other than having HTCC heads vs. my Branch heads, our bikes and riding styles are basically the same....So would the Andrews TW-55G that I like so well, work equally well in his built bagger?

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SEDELUXE05 said:
seahag he should run rollers with those heads. are they the cnc heads ? also when i was discussing my engine with steve he recomended the tw5g. i know you said that he does not want any thing with to much lift but the spring pack on those heads are pretty tight. if he wants to wait about a month i will give him a se251 out of my bike.
So what is it you don't like about the 251 that has you changing it out? That is one of the cams he is considering if he doesn't switch to gear drive.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
If he is going all SE then The 257 would work well in there, I have a used set??? I like the 257 for that set up over any other se cam, In fact with a little tweaking I think the 257 would be a great gear drive cam HMMMMM maybe a GMR cam in the future. HA AH Alike I have time for that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, I guess I can't include dyno graphs as a picture since I'm not a paying member --- at least I haven't been able to figure out how to paste a picture into a reply.
Anyway, I find it interesting that many seem to dislike the SE251, especially with the CNC HTCC heads. I had a 95" build with those heads and a TW8 cam before I went to my present 107" motor. The 95" made 110 Tq and 121 Hp, and Tq was over 100 by 2600 RPM. The guy that built my 95" and 107" had a 95" with the CNC HTCC heads with a SE251 cam. His motor made about the same Tq at the low end, but his continued to make Hp out past 7100 rpm, I know for a fact the motor made over 125 Hp. OBTW, he also used the much mailigned Holley 2 bbl carb and manifold. I suppose all of this only shows that it's not just what parts are used, but how they are combined and tuned --- not bad results for those "crappy and overpriced" SE parts. Both my 95" and 107" (129 Tq/125Hp) have been posted over on HTT, would be more than glad to post them here if I could figure out how to do it without paying for the "privilege" of doing so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
"id be more than happy to post them for you if you send them to me. im very interested in seeing them"

And how would I go about doing that?

"obtw comparing se cams to woods cams is like comparing apples to oranges"

Not always. The guy who built my motors found that the TW8 and the SE251 would produce very similar power with all other things being equal. The slightly wider LSA of the 251 will tend to soften the initial part of the curve very slightly, but it will carry the Tq out further than the TW8. Wood cams are known for building power early --- high lift, short duration, and tight LSA's will do that. Nothing wrong with it, if you are looking for "instant gratification" and maximum "butt-o-meter" feel, they do that well. They may not actually be the fastest in a real race, even Mr. Wood admits he doesn't produce "race" cams, he produces cams that the majority of the street riders seem to like and that they will buy --- sounds like good business practice to me.

I'm in the camp (along with the guy who built my motors) that camshafts by themselves are not the "silver bullets" that most seem to think they are. Using the right cam with the right heads, intake, and exhaust is what makes or breaks a build. For my 107", my guy went with custom pistons, cam, intake manifold, and custom exhaust to give me the motor I asked for. Getting the kind of power he did from a 10:1 107" with a 5800-6000 rpm redline is no easy feat --- wish I could take credit for it, all I did was say what I wanted and dish out the cash to make it happen!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dyno sheets sent, if my ISP has gotten over it's hiccups, you should have them. Post them if you wish, I don't really care one way or the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts