V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I'm heading back to Baghdad, different location and company this time. I'm retired Navy and going as a contractor so it is completely by choice. I'll be back every 90 days for a 10-14 days R&R. I'm thinking of using fuel stabilizer but am unsure on a battery tender/trickle charger. Any thoughts?

Tks,
RB
A proud supplier of ex-managers to mental health clinics.

·
Banned
871 Posts
RatBastard said:
It looks like I'm heading back to Baghdad, different location and company this time. I'm retired Navy and going as a contractor so it is completely by choice. I'll be back every 90 days for a 10-14 days R&R. I'm thinking of using fuel stabilizer but am unsure on a battery tender/trickle charger. Any thoughts?

Tks,
RB
A proud supplier of ex-managers to mental health clinics.
It wouldn't hurt to leave the battery tender on. But, if you are only gone 90 days at a time, just make sure it's fully charged and disconnect it. Keep it in a cool (not cold) place and it should be fine when you get back and fire it up.

Good luck in Iraq. I just had a friend return a few months ago after spending 364 days there with the Army. Other than getting shot at a few times, he said it wasn't that bad. Lots of good things going on... at least a lot more than the liberal media bozos want to report. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you leave the battery connected, be sure and put a jiffy stand caddy under the stand. That will prevent the battery from discharging.

It's probably the cheapest thing you can buy at a Harley store.

·
Banned
871 Posts
Gary_L said:
If you leave the battery connected, be sure and put a jiffy stand caddy under the stand. That will prevent the battery from discharging.

It's probably the cheapest thing you can buy at a Harley store.
What the heck is a jiffy stand caddy? Never heard of it. Even Google turned up zero results. Sounds like more snake oil from the MoCo to seperate customers from their money.

If it's supposed to keep the bike from "grounding" to the floor, then it's definitely snake oil. :roflback: Never heard of that happening, ever!

Maybe if your floor is steel or copper and is connected to an earth ground, and the battery's positive cable is shorted to the frame. If you are really worried about that happening, then any old piece of wood will do the same thing and won't cost ya a penny. :whatever:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
871 Posts
RatBastard said:
Thanks for the jiffy stand coaster idea. I got one for Xmas. It looks like the R&R policy has changed from every 90 days to every 6 months, so I may be gone longer. Here is a link for the coaster: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441845975&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309065658&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309065658&bmUID=1141701320014&bmLocale=en_US

Tks,
RB
Ya gotta be kidding me! $5.95 for something that could be replaced by a small rock or piece of wood? :confused: :roflback: Sure, that thing looks "cute", but geez. If the ground is soft, I'll use my helmet if nothing else is lying around (but there usually is) where I park. I just turn it upside down and put it under the stand. Works in a pinch, unless I need something to sit on. :) Wow! I guess helmets do have a purpose besides giving you a sore neck. :D

I guess it's just my old school way of thinking.... why buy something that you can get for free?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts