V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the oil and wonder if i can get the orings for the oil plugs and the ring for the derby cover. I don't know the part#s and wonder if these could be had via the internet/ebay. Want to save a trip to the dealer. Also, I have read posts with concerns of inner bearing failures. I have an 06 custom with 13k good mi.; made 2 trips to Sturgis without diff. I had to sign the paper at purchase stating they would take my bike at 15k, tear down the trans, and inspect the bearing. Later, I received a letter via HD saying the bearing was going to be ok and that service was not needed. So what gives..? My trans sounds normal and bike is unmodified. I use 140syn in the gearbox and mobil 1 10-30 in the primary. Tahnks!!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The answer is yes or at any indy's shop. If you change your own oil, keep the reciepts for oil and filter and put the milage on them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
lesrrt said:
I want to change the oil and wonder if i can get the orings for the oil plugs and the ring for the derby cover. I don't know the part#s and wonder if these could be had via the internet/ebay. Want to save a trip to the dealer. Also, I have read posts with concerns of inner bearing failures. I have an 06 custom with 13k good mi.; made 2 trips to Sturgis without diff. I had to sign the paper at purchase stating they would take my bike at 15k, tear down the trans, and inspect the bearing. Later, I received a letter via HD saying the bearing was going to be ok and that service was not needed. So what gives..? My trans sounds normal and bike is unmodified. I use 140syn in the gearbox and mobil 1 10-30 in the primary. Tahnks!!

They just want to see how a new part wears with usage. After they've seen enough they don't need to see anymore.

The part number is 17369-06 for the derby o-ring and three small ones.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks 198!

The primary o ring is larger that the two smaller ones for the drain plugs. Is that # for the primary oring or for the drain plug orings..? Oh BTW, I submitted my 1st Sturgis ride in 06 to the Iron Butt. still haven't heard anything. Did the Saddle Sore 1000 in 18hr; made it to Sturgis in 40 Thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
lesrrt said:
The primary o ring is larger that the two smaller ones for the drain plugs. Is that # for the primary oring or for the drain plug orings..? Oh BTW, I submitted my 1st Sturgis ride in 06 to the Iron Butt. still haven't heard anything. Did the Saddle Sore 1000 in 18hr; made it to Sturgis in 40 Thanks!
When you buy the o-ring for the clutch inspection cover it comes with three small o-rings in the same package for the three drain plugs.

·
Banned
124 Posts
I am sitting on 2 gasket kits i had bought that has the clutch inspection gaskit along with the 2 orings included since i bought the bike 2 yrs ago waste of money.the orginals are just fine hd is trying to get you to part with more money to but them gaskits everytime grrr.
If you really need a new oring go to your local hardware dept and match em up with theres in the plumbing and buy a bag for a buck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts