V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know I have this ol shovel that I have had for 17 years. Now that I got a new heritage Classic, which is a cadillac compared to the shovel. A Shovel and a Pan can be a beautiful piece of machinery when its all dolled up. In all the harleys that have been made a shovel still brings a lump in the ol' throat when I see one thundering down the road. Pans are second and TC's are third. I guess I still go for the nestalga. What about you guys?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Interesting subject, ArchAngel.

I happen to think, like most of us I'm sure, that all Harleys are works of art.

Though I've never owned one I'd have to rank the Pan first, followed by the shovel.

You failed to mention the Knucklehead & Evo, both worthy of consideration.

A friend of mine rides an '82 FLH, a beatiful shovelhead.One of his favorite sayings is the infamous "it doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory".

I think all old iron is great, it's a testament to the Motor Company to see these classic scooters still being ridden!!
guido

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So true there bro. Nowadays the mechanics down at the dealerships are young kids who don't know the insides of a pan or shovel. All they know how to work on are TC's . Or you take your old sled to a dealership and they tell you that they don't work on anything before Evo's. so you have to wrench on it yourself or take it to someone who works out of their garage which is okay because they don't charge you the $64.00 an hour labor charge.

Arch

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I like the shovels, in particular done to original condition (look at the 68 in my photo album), fun to ride around and smell the roses, and you can keep them running forever. It will have 0 miles soon, it's at 199300 something now.

Thing is these days you get run over at anything less then 85 on the highway, and you need something that can run there all day long.

I can easily see going back to an EVO style engine not too far down the road.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I love my 79 shovel, which is not stock. I prefer to put my mark on things, give them some personality. I also like pans and Knuckles although I've probably been brainwashed by the old man since that's all he talks about. I love to look at them they are unique and getting harder and harder to come across. They're nice to see stock, but I much prefer to see peoples take on them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
HIPPO said:
I can easily see going back to an EVO style engine not too far down the road.
HIPPO,
Hmmm...now you got my curiosity up as to why you would state this. I thought you were of the opinion that the TC88 was a much better motor than the EVO, and smoother at higher speeds on the highway? Care to elaborate?:confused:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
120" and 131" modified Merch engines are proven technology. With all the new regulations it's going to be very expensive to build the TC's past 110 or so HP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Personaly I LOVE old Harleys and like my favorite shirt reads SEE NO EVO....HEAR NO EVO....RIDE NO EVO. I have rode the same bike now for 15 years at would never think of owning anything but her.My old 72 Shovelhead. Like someone said earlier most of the new Harley owners arent into the oil leaks and the tinkering it takes to keep a classic running and dependable.I hated seening the company go to the OHC models the took the simplicty away from the best machine in the world.But as long as there is some of us old die hards the good old rides will still be going down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts