V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've searched on this topic, but I'd like some specific opinions on one issue:
are the Photochromic lens adequate for full sunlight?

There are many posts praising the quality and fit of the Panoptx glasses - and - I'm sold. I'm still trying to decide between full dark lens and the ones that change. [The price difference isn't an issue]. The vast majority of my riding is in the daylight hours, but the convenience of one pair of glasses is appealing. I just don't want a lens that isn't dark enough for bright days since that is the situation where they'll be used the most.

Thoughts/opinions/experiences?

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
I've got them. I like them. They are not as dark as true sunglasses but they take the edge off bright sun and work well for me.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I've had a pair for about 7 years now and I like them. They are not as dark as most sunglasses, so they took a bit to get used to. But once I was acclimated to that, I wouldn't use anything else. One set of glasses for day and night riding is great. In addition, I wear contacts, and have the PanOptx Cyclone model with fixed foam. They really help keep dirt out of my eyes. I do have to say they aren't the best in the rain though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have them as well for the past 2 years. They go from clear to a fairly dark in a few minutes once hit by UV light. As noted in previous posts, they are not as dark as true sunglasses, but do a good job in bright sunlight. The best part is you can use them at night (i.e., clear when the sun goes down).

·
Goooood morning, Vietnam!
391 Posts
pasto27774 said:
I have them as well for the past 2 years. They go from clear to a fairly dark in a few minutes once hit by UV light.
I'm curious about something on these. I wear glasses all the time and tried the self-darkening kind about a year ago when it was time for new glasses. I usually get 3 pairs each time: 1 for computer use, 1 for normal wear, and 1 as sunglasses. They are tri-focals, that is the reason for the 'computer' version. (OK, I'm old, leave me alone.) I thought it would be pretty nice (and less expensive) if I could get the 'normal' and 'sunglasses' pair together with the self-darkening lenses. Since most of my time needing sunglasses is while driving my service van, I was very surprised to see the lenses staying clear even on a bright day. I even left them on the dashboard of the van for a while in the sun to see if that would make them darken - it did not!! I took them back to the eye clinic and was told the lenses had to actually be hit by the sun's UV rays to make them darken. I asked about them not darkening on the dashboard and was told that automotive windshields have enough UV filtering to keep the lenses from darkening. At that point I ordered the two pairs of glasses I thought this one pair would replace. It was pretty obvious they weren't going to be of any value to me in normal use.

So, here is my question, do the ones you are talking about darken based on bright light or do they have to be actually hit by sunlight to darken?

:dunno:

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
RickinColorado said:
I've searched on this topic, but I'd like some specific opinions on one topic:

There are many posts praising the quality and fit of the Panoptx glasses - and - I'm sold. I'm still trying to decide between full dark lens or the ones that change. [The price difference isn't an issue]. The vast majority of my riding is in the daylight hours, but the convience of one pair of glasses is appealing. I just don't want a lens that isn't dark enough for bright days since that is the situation where they'll be used the most.

I've got a pair and they are not dark enough for me in full sunlight. I guess it depends on how sensitive your eyes are to sunlight. If i still have to squint with glasses on then they are not dark enough. Go to one of the dealers on a sunny day and tell them you want to walk outside with them. You should be able to get an idea if they are going to be dark enough for you.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
IndianaSteve said:
So, here is my question, do the ones you are talking about darken based on bright light or do they have to be actually hit by sunlight to darken?

Direct sunlight will make them the darkest. They will darken some with indirect sunlight but not much. If you want more technical answers then i suggest you contact the manufacturer.

·
Livin the dream
338 Posts
The only thing I dont like about mine are dark spots that come up in the lens. I dont know if it is from reflections off of the chrome or what but it drives me crazy. It didnt happen today but most of the time. Any of you guys have that problem?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Tucos said:
The only thing I dont like about mine are dark spots that come up in the lens. I dont know if it is from reflections off of the chrome or what but it drives me crazy. It didnt happen today but most of the time. Any of you guys have that problem?
Nope, can't say I've experienced that.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
RickinColorado said:

There are many posts praising the quality and fit of the Panoptx glasses - and - I'm sold. I'm still trying to decide between full dark lens and the ones that change. [The price difference isn't an issue]. The vast majority of my riding is in the daylight hours, but the convenience of one pair of glasses is appealing. I just don't want a lens that isn't dark enough for bright days since that is the situation where they'll be used the most.

I have the Panoptx Viento FX glasses with the Photochromic lenses and was not happy with them in bright sun because they just didn't get dark enough. I ended up getting a pair of WileyX shades with interchangable lenses.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found this chart on the Oakley site:

http://oakley.com/technology/lens_tints/

(sort the list by brightness under the Lens Colors section)

Bottom line is that Oakley considers any lense with a rate of transmission higher than 18% suitable for "partly cloudy" conditions rather than "sunny". The Panoptx day/nights are rated at 24% and the dawn/dusk's are 21%. Based on the Oakley scale they are well into the partly cloudy range and not really applicable for full sunny usage. I think that I'm going to go with dark lens.

·
Registered
224 Posts
IndianaSteve said:
I'm curious about something on these. I wear glasses all the time and tried the self-darkening kind about a year ago when it was time for new glasses. I usually get 3 pairs each time: 1 for computer use, 1 for normal wear, and 1 as sunglasses. They are tri-focals, that is the reason for the 'computer' version. (OK, I'm old, leave me alone.) I thought it would be pretty nice (and less expensive) if I could get the 'normal' and 'sunglasses' pair together with the self-darkening lenses. Since most of my time needing sunglasses is while driving my service van, I was very surprised to see the lenses staying clear even on a bright day. I even left them on the dashboard of the van for a while in the sun to see if that would make them darken - it did not!! I took them back to the eye clinic and was told the lenses had to actually be hit by the sun's UV rays to make them darken. I asked about them not darkening on the dashboard and was told that automotive windshields have enough UV filtering to keep the lenses from darkening. At that point I ordered the two pairs of glasses I thought this one pair would replace. It was pretty obvious they weren't going to be of any value to me in normal use.

I just got a pair of Wiley X's with bi-focal photocromic lens put in by Sportrx and thing they are the greatest thing.
But as you found out they don't darken inside a vehicle like they do when I'm on my bike and I guess it's cause the windsheild of the vehicle is blocking most of the uv rays.

Also, these lenses darken more than the regular Wiley "light transision lens".

Later,
Ray

·
Recon
839 Posts
Hd road hog glasses, it only takes a minute to change the lense to clear. i dont think they do prescriptions though. These work better for riding(fit to my face) than panoptic or wileys for me.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
The transitional lenses work some people and not for others. They just don't get dark enough for my tastes so I switched out to regular sun glasses and use the Panoptix for night riding and darker days.

Tom

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
My eyes are too sensitive to wear my Panoptix Day/Night out on a clear day. I was constantly having to change out to my 14 dollar pair of dark goggles. Once the foam developed a bit of a tear where they were not sealing well anymore I got a pair of the HD glasses with interchangeable lenses. It came with dark, yellow, and I purchased the Day/Night lenses for the overcast days. This pair of goggles seems to work best for me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think any reader can pick up a theme here... they are dark enough for some, and not for others.

I prefer a darker lense, and when wearing my Panoptx's in full summer sun, I too wish they would get a bit darker.... but.... I think you should also consider what conditions you typically do most of your riding in. In the Northwest when riding some of our better areas, there are a lot of shadows, tunnels, occasional clouds, etc. I find I appreciate that the lense isn't so dark for when I do run through an area with over hanging trees. The lenses to transition pretty quickly, but they don't change as fast as you travel through shade to full sun.
If my glasses were as dark as I like them to be when I am driving a cage, I would feel they were too dark when going through those areas (its a lot easier to lift the lenses when driving a car through those shadows).
When I am out on the East side during the summer, eventually my eyes adjust to the lense not being as dark as I would like, and the Panoptx do what they need to do

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
RickinColorado said:

I have the ones that change with the light. They work great, no problem in the bright sun, which is rare around this neck of the woods!:chopper:

·
Registered
265 Posts
IndianaSteve said:
They require UV light (sunlight) to change from clear to dark. Modern auto motive glass has at least some UV protection. That, combined with the fact that when you are insde a vehicle, your glasses are not in direct sunlight, is why they do change much, if at all.

·
---
201 Posts
Ordered a pair of Panoptix Day/Night and returned them the next day.
Left them out in full sun for over two hours and you could barely see any darkening of the lenses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts