V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done a few trips in my time, but I thought I would draw on the experience here at HD Forum. Ride a 03 Ultra Classic and will be riding it to Bike Week from Tennessee. What tools do you all suggest packing. Haven't had any problems with the scoot and don't expect any, BUT, to be on the safeside without taking the whole tool box, what do you suggest.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
First on the list should be lots of money :D How about the tool kit that came with the bike? I think that might be enough. Flash light, hammer, Knife, Duct tape. I know there are many more things to bring along, now, if you are towing a trailer, you could bring much much more stuffffff ;) I hope you like your bike, cause I love mine :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I believe the touring bikes continue to come with a small tool pack, which will handle most minor issues.

I carry a cell phone and towing company card for real mechanical emergencies. With my limited mechanical abilities, those are good choices for me. And I suspect a few other members. I also know where the H/D dealerships are on the way so I can drop in if I'm having problems.

These things being said, I'd save the space on the bike. You might buy some goodies down there at Bike Week and you'll appreciate the space so you can get 'em home.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Markcuda, PasadenaJim
Thanks guys for the advise. I have the tool kit that stays in the bike all the time. Light-check; Hammer-well check; Cell phone-check. If you will check my reply to the guy hauling hsi RK you'll see kinda why I'm asking. Again thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a quick run down of the tool bag. All this experience is gained from touring on a 26 yr old shovel for a few years before I bought my 01' FLHT. Set of wrenches from 3/8 to 3/4 plus 10 mm. How many of you guys know that your battary uses 10mm fasteners? A multiuse type screwdriver. A set of allen wrenches. A channel lock, vice grip and needle nose plyers . 12 volt test light. A fold up set of torx bits . Plus extra spark plugs, worm gear clamps, fuses & length of 12 ga wire.

·
Banned
999 Posts
tire inflator and plug kit. bikerpunx tool list is fine but
instead of just a 10mm wrench get a 8mm x10mm open end wrench. the 8mm fits 5/16 sae.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice. Got my list made. Hope to see some of you in Daytona.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Wow, if you pack all this stuff, you wont have any room to buy things ;) I wonder if a persom can replace that 10mm with a American bolt, like a 7/16, or would the threads be differant :confused: Would the threads be also Metric?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I carry most of the stuff listed plus the emergency drive belt replacement kit p/n 40112-97 for Ultras and a couple of spark plugs.
Oh also a fish tank siphon for gas - that's for the other guy - helped this poor bastard last fall - out of gas on his brand new FLHRCI and couldn't find the reserve petcock when he ran out !!!!!!! Hope he ain't still looking for it!!.
If you got too much stuff - leave the wifey behind!

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
" and couldn't find the reserve petcock when he ran out !!!!!!! " Now that is just to damn funny and a little sad ;) The new owner must not have done any reading up on the bike, like in the owners manual ;) I am all for leaving the OL at home :eek:

·
Banned
999 Posts
Markcuda said:
Wow, if you pack all this stuff, you wont have any room to buy things ;) I wonder if a persom can replace that 10mm with a American bolt, like a 7/16, or would the threads be differant :confused: Would the threads be also Metric?
if you buy stuff, take it to a [email protected] place. easier than toting it. you can even send your dirty laundry home.

it's funny if you're gone for a couple weeks you can buy cheap t shirts and underwear for less than it costs to wash em at a laundromat if you factor in all the little costs associated with that task.

answer to second question. no you can not replace a metric bolt with a SAE one unless you dont mind stripping the threads.

·
Registered
458 Posts
helped this poor bastard last fall - out of gas on his brand new FLHRCI and couldn't find the reserve petcock when he ran out !!!!!!! Hope he ain't still looking for it!!.

Hes lucky he got it running again. I know one guy that ran ont of gas on his new bagger and burnt up the fuel pump.
I try to fill mine before the light comes on, I use the light as meening its on reserve. On mine its about 3/4 of a gal. left.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ditto on the tire plug kit and a small can of fix a flat or a CO2 canister with adapter to fill the tire. I have used all of these products on the north shore of Lake Superior and I would still be there if I hadn't packed them. Long push back to VA.

shooter

·
Registered
5 Posts
remember this pack light because you don't want the bike to break down because you are lugging around your snap on tool chest

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Packing

I'm with you on packing, seems that one little thing you didn't think you'd use is the one item you need. Just put bigger wheels on you SnapOn tool chest and drag it behind. Ha!

The one item, like the lawn mower gas pump, that I carry but have never used myself is a Pac-Jac. It however has been utilized by 3 other guys to change anything from a tire to a brake rotor. Also had a friend use it to jack up a trailer to change the tire. He has one of those WHORE (we haul our rides everywhere) bikes. :) Hey, the jack is a little spendy but well worth the $$$$ if you NEED it. A fellow was selling them on eBay not too long ago for $85.00. Think I paid $110.00.

Pac-Jac

One thing I learned touring with Corvettes over the years. Share the parts, tools. Somebody carry a jack, somebody else carry the tire stuff, and so on.....so on......

Ride safe !!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.