V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2003 night train owners manual states on 5 speed tranny that shifting to neutral can't be done from second gear. It has to be done from first gear only. It says tranny won't permit it. Well, this is not the case with my ride. Hitting neutral from second gear is not a problem. Should this be a concern or is the owners manual just plain wrong?

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I suspect it is wrong....I can get at N from 2 also (2002 Fat Boy). My guess is maybe that going up from 1 instead leaves less chance of it popping out of N by itself so maybe they lie to us to keep us out of trouble??

Similatr thing on the sunroof on my Ford F-150 Supercrew...manual never mentions you can pop the rear of the glass up to vent air by pressing the close button again after the roof is fully closed. i suspect it sometimes sticks or hangs up and the dealers got tired of dealing with it so they just chose to not tell us about the feature.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My 2000 FLHT will not shift from 2nd to N. I believe that they changed that on the 2001 models (Could be 2002). In any case, sounds like your manual needs a revision!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are proably right logical. Just was really curious since it specifically stated tranny will not permit it. Had a leak where shaft comes out for main drivebelt. Couldnt hit nuetral from second before they worked on it. I also cant *****-foot around going into first gear now, when initially takeing off, seems more prone to a little grinding, not to bad tho!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I can never get N from first, always go past to 2. I almost always find it from 2 to N. 2001 heritage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can only hit N from 1 (2001 fatboy)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts