V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a week in Lauderdale on my VROD with Screamin' Eagles. Everybody in the forum says they're "too quiet". Well, let me tell you, I was at one of those sidewalk cafes with the bike parked along side 6 or 7 other Harley's. When two of them left, the guys started them up similtaneously, while applying throttle.
All I saw was plates and food flying everywhere. The bikes were so loud it scared the crap out of everybody. I think one old lady had a heart attack, while two old war vets jumped behind the hedge taking shelter - they must have thought the war started again.
When they left everybody was cursing those f'ing bikers.
Is it really necessary for the bikes to be that loud? Let's not give bikers a bad name with exhausts that only satisfy our own need to sound like we're hot sh1t. Owning a Harley in itself is enough of a statement. We don't need to burst eardrums to get the message across.

G

·
I'm with you brother, but it's an uphill battle. A little roar is great fun, so [email protected] loud it hurts is not. But, lots of guys love 'em that way - the louder the better.

It's a common belief that 'loud pipes save lives', but if you've ever spent any time inside a minivan full of kids, you know that there ain't no way the driver will hear a bike before he sees it ...

Personally, I think all loud pipes do is cause bikers to go deaf and local goverments to draft anti-motorcycle laws ...

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Rule I learned a long time ago.......

.... Ride Yer Own Ride ......

·
Registered
254 Posts
OK here we go. Those guys may have been a$$holes, maybe for the moment, maybe for there entire lives. Like anything else something that serves a purpose will be abused. My pipes are loud. Are they always loud? Only when I need them to be loud, like when the donut eating, cellphone stuck to their skull commuter suddenly discovers they're coming up on the car in front of them way to fast and throws on the one blink directional and comes over into my lane, my pipes get REEAL loud. Then the pissy look on their face when they hit the brakes and pull back into their lane and have to roll the window up because they can't hear on the phone.
Those people were rightly offended, I don't know if I truly believe the old guys were having flashbacks diving for cover but, whatever, you were there, I wasn't. But I do know this if someone ever smears my a$$ to the pavement they may say "I never saw him" but they will NEVER say I didn't hear him. That's all I'm done.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I dig my straight pipes!!!
And they only seem loud when you are in a downtown area with lots of buildings. And if you use some common courtesy when you start your bike, it shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rocko,
No, the old guys didn't really jump for cover but the bikes were pretty loud. I like the sound of a serious harley as much as anybody but after these guys left the tone changed from people looking over the bikes in envy to thinking all bikers are inconsiderate a$$holes.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
bermuda said:
Rocko,
No, the old guys didn't really jump for cover but the bikes were pretty loud. I like the sound of a serious harley as much as anybody but after these guys left the tone changed from people looking over the bikes in envy to thinking all bikers are inconsiderate a$$holes.

Well WTF does that tell you about the people you are talking about? Why give a Rats Ass what they think?

I don't need anyone looking at my scoot "in envy". So long as they keep their fuckin hands to themselves life is good.

Now come on, think about what you are saying. This is not the first time these folks ever saw scooters. If these guys implanted such a huge impression by pulling away loud, then fuk what they think.

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Owning a Harley in itself is enough of a statement.
Maybe for some, but I could care less what kind of (if any) statement my bike makes. I ride it cuz I like it, and i like it loud. I try and be courteous to my neighbors when coming/leaving my house, but I like loud pipes on the road. Some people won't like that, but F'em. Lots of people don't like people in SUV's cause they eat so much gas,....lots of people don't like sports cars cause they're too "fast and dangerous". Basically, you can't please everybody, so I don't worry about it.

·
Banned
490 Posts
Hearing protection..

Boismier said:
Personally, I think all loud pipes do is cause bikers to go deaf
Actually, loud pipes have very little to do with hearing loss among bikers. The biggest single source of damaging sound is wind blast. Even riders wearing full-face helmets will experience approx. 85-95 db. at 70 - 80 mph. Riders without helmets experience even more. Exposure to sound levels greater than 85 db. for periods of an hour or more can and do cause permanent, irreversible hearing loss. Additionally, exposure to loud sound levels for extended periods of time increases fatigue and can add to disorientation among riders.

One solution is inexpensive disposable foam earplugs, available at just about any hardware store or place where they sell firearms. Earplugs like these usually give you 25- 35 db. of noise reduction, while still allowing you to hear emergency vehicles siren and the sound of other vehicles passing you. Unfortunately, some states (including California) make it illegal to wear such devices. Extremely ridiculous, given the rationale behind the mandatory helmet laws they have enacted. I believe that custom-fit, reusable ear-plugs ARE legal in most states. These require fitting at a doctors office, and usually cost between $85 and $120.

If you've ever come back from a ride and experienced "ringing in your ears" (tinnitus), you HAVE done damage to your hearing.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
To quote " The Hottest Band In The Wooooorrrrrrrllllllllllllld ......... Kiiiissssssssssssssssss"

"We like it loud, we like it loud,
we like it louder than hell, yeah"

"shout it out loud" on Destroyer

·
Registered
603 Posts
Loud pipes. Peer pressure is tough sometimes. I'm still trying to find someone who thinks that I need louder pipes to agree to pay for them.

JMS

·
Registered
515 Posts
I maybe apart of the minority. I don't care for obnoxiosly load exhaust. But that is okay, you don't have to ride with me and I don't have to ride behind you.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I like mine loud others quiet, particularly if it annoys ME. (however, I use my horn when someone starts changing lanes in front of me etal.....)I have air hones which scare/startle the "f "out of most people. Its more fun because i can controll it).

greg

·
Registered
458 Posts
I like somewhat loud pipes, but not the wide open 2.25 drag pipes and some of the wide open samson's. You might think you sound realy good on them, but have you ever heard them from a mile or two off??
Last weekend we were at a roadside park along the river taking a break when we heard a bike coming up the road, first thought it was a old junk car but the way he was coming you could tell it was a bike.
He might have thought he was cool but everyone where I was sitting were making fun of the piece of shi*.
Now I run wild pig on the bagger and there far from quiet, but they aren't
over loud and sound like a old farm truck coming up the road.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I like being loud enough to be heard from inside the car next to me. Reasons being obvious.

I wonder what people think when they here a Harley coming, then see a crotch rocket blow past them...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts