V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OverHeating Shutdown

Hello
This my first time on this web page looks great. I have a question to ask of any one who ownes a 1999 Ultra Clasic have you or any one you know had trouble with overheating?? This is the problem when the weather gets warm out and I'm stoped at a stop light or ridding at a very low speed my bike will completly shut down like somone stold the battery I have to pull over and let it set about 5 minutes and it will restart and I can continue I talked with dealer and they put the scanalyzer on but found no trouble codes I even replaced the engine heat sensor and that was not the problem any other helpfull ideas???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Put a spark plug wrench in your pocket. Next time it shuts down, get out of traffic and pull a plug (asap...real hot plug will evaperate fuel fast).
If it's wet, look for an electrical problem. If it's dry, look for fuel delivery problem. That puppy will be hot...put a shop rag in your pocket also.
Observe the volt meter when it shuts down...it might indicate a loss of electrical power. I think the gas tank cap has a one-way air valve to let air in the tank as the fuel goes out. If that valve is defective it will sure screw up a gravity fed carb.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Does it lose the headlite and the radio when it shuts down?

Sounds like it from the way you describe it.
If it does check the wiring from the regulator to the main breaker, there was a campaign to have it relocated, it has a way of chafing against the frame. The main breaker and the ignition switch are also suspect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Hippo
Yes, I lose all power to the bike radio,lights everything goes dead like the battery was disconnected I have to pull over and turn off the ignition switch and wait about 5 minutes and then turn the switch back on and I have my power back I can then restart and continue on.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Check the items above. A ECM, module or sensor breaking down from heat will not take out the whole bike. It's in the primary electrical circuit.

In addition have the battery tested, as well as all the battery cable terminals cleaned and tightened. Any condition that causes a increase in total current consumption under certain conditions is suspect (like a system voltage drop), this is why it tends to happen at lower engine speeds.

It is common not to find anything, if this is the case some have replaced the main breaker with one of a slightly higher rating, but you have to be absolutely sure there is no other issue before you do so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much of the wiring did you have to replace ? I'm getting so frustrated with this I hate to get the bike out to ride it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
See Complete Shutdown on 03 Ultra

Sounds like the problem I've been having. See the posting entitled "Complete Shutdown on 03 Ultra"....

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
At low speeds or at idle is about the only time there is any real vibration from that rubber mount motor. So check the obvious connections at the battery and chassis grounds. But you mention it happens in warm weather so my guess is the ignition switch is faulty. Combining the heat of the electrical load , ambient temps, and vibration of idle conditions it goes "open" internally and shuts off the bike.If it was a harness connection, or a fuse box concern, you might lose just the ignition or just the lights or just the radio..............
Replace the switch.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Had a similiar problem with an 02 dyna, bad ignition switch. The other thing to look at is the main breaker. If you loose everything, look at what controls everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello All
Just a little update on the overheating problem here is what I tired I bought a switch load eliminator and and installed that and it seem to cure the problem it has not shut down since,had too many lights installed I think was why I was shutting down. Thanks for the help.

dennisb4441

·
Registered
23 Posts
shut down

Had the same trouble wit my FLSTC. I'll bet my hat it is the switch! Harley says it can't be worked on but it can. Remove it, turn it over & remove the snap ring. When you pull it apart the 3 springs will fall out on the table, off in the floor & roll under your chair. But they will only go back one way. You will find A burned spot on the brass plate. sand it off, clean it with contact cleaner & reinstall. BET IT WORKS!

Jeff

·
Registered
18 Posts
HD Recall on the Main Breaker

Just coming out and not at the dealer's yet. It only addresses 2001-2003 models, but will likely extend (if I have my way). Having the same problem with my 2000 Ultra

·
Registered
18 Posts
Main Breaker Recall

Make: HARLEY DAVIDSON
Model: FLHPEI
Year: 2001
Recall Number: 04V134000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE 40 AMP MAIN CIRCUIT BREAKER CAN “OPEN” FOR REASONS OTHER THAN WHICH IT WAS DESIGNED, CAUSING AN UNEXPECTED INTERRUPTION OF ALL ELECTRICAL POWER TO THE MOTORCYCLE.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE A “QUIT WHILE RIDING” SITUATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CIRCUIT BREAKER. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH OR APRIL 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HARLEY-DAVIDSON AT 1-414-342-4680.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts