V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 94 electra glide classic, can someone please tell me the torque specs for the outter primary cover bolts. :dunno:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
mtodd said:
On a 94 electra glide classic, can someone please tell me the torque specs for the outter primary cover bolts. :dunno:
Before you get bombarded with responses, my advice is to BUY A F**KING MANUAL!!!!! You shouldn't be touching your bike with tools without one!! Your health/life could be at stake if you screw something up.

Get a H-D Factory Service manual for your year/model. Don't waste money on a Clymer, Haynes, or other worthless book. If you can afford a Harley, you can afford the proper maintenance book(s). A parts catalog is also very good to have on hand. You can find them online at several locations, and even ebay sometimes. Just do a Google search. You can also get them at your local stealership, but expect to pay a lot more, as usual. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how to F**K I dont need a manual for that, thanks anyway. I'll go get the book on my bike, thanks for your advice.
 

·
Sick Puppy
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
remember in.lbs not ft.lbs
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
459 Posts
Snug them torque wrench will get you in trouble on those bolts. If I remember correctly the factory service manual for 03 had incorrect (to high) value for those bolts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
mtodd said:
I know how to F**K I dont need a manual for that, thanks anyway. I'll go get the book on my bike, thanks for your advice.
Yeah, I think you'd have to go to a sex shop for that type of book. You might get some funny looks if you ask for one at the stealership. :roflback:

By the way, I wasn't trying to be mean. I was just preparing you for a barrage of :RTFB: answers. :) Seriously, you need to have a book or you could run into some major problems. There's a lot of little details that you have to know when working on a Harley that could come back and bite you in the a$$ if you miss them.

As marvin said, you could always just snug them down, but then you risk warping the cover. It's similiar to what happens when someone tightens the lug nuts on a car with disk brakes without using a torque wrench.... uneven torque and heat cycling will warp the rotors. I always use the recommended torque on the primary and have never had a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that you were just making a point, I didnt take it serious. I was trying to be funny I guess, kind of a "sex rock" type joke you know.
I do need to get the book before I mess with anything....your right, I agree. Im grateful for the advice.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
bonnie john said:
are you two gals related?:yikes:

LOL! I didn't even notice the name similiarity till you mentioned it. Weird! :eek:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
459 Posts
Weather you torque them or just snug them make sure the bolts are clean of any locktite and the holes are clean of locktite and oil. I don't use locktite on these bolts (don't think the manual calls for it) and have never had a problem with just snugging them. Of course you've got to have a pretty good feel for this and snug them somewhat equally. The metal gaskets can be used over and over again. I've had mine off at least 6 or 8 times without replacing the gasket and never had a leak.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
871 Posts
marvin4239 said:
Weather you torque them or just snug them make sure the bolts are clean of any locktite and the holes are clean of locktite and oil. I don't use locktite on these bolts (don't think the manual calls for it) and have never had a problem with just snugging them. Of course you've got to have a pretty good feel for this and snug them somewhat equally. The metal gaskets can be used over and over again. I've had mine off at least 6 or 8 times without replacing the gasket and never had a leak.
Hmmm..... The EVO doesn't use a metal primary cover gasket. It's paper w/ beaded silicone. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
459 Posts
Forgot we were dealing with and EVO. Didn't the early twin cams use a paper gasket? Maybe they are interchangeable? Either way I sure like the metal gasket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tell tou what TODDM if your the type to say "I TOLD YOU SO" go for it, if not you should be.
I just got off of the phone with the shop that has my bike and my $220/4 days without my bike has turned into $635/12 days without it.
It seems that the guy that I bought it from let one of his friends work on it, they left the "main shaft bearing" 3/8 of an inch out from where it was supposed to be (pressed in I guess) now I get to pay for it.
Pat your self on the back for me, I got to get me a f**king manual!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
ToddM said:
Hmmm..... The EVO doesn't use a metal primary cover gasket. It's paper w/ beaded silicone. :)
I just bought a gasket from the dealer for my 99 Evo softail and they told me that they only use the metal primary cover gaskets now. They said that the beaded silicone is the "old style". Is there any disadvantage to this "new style" metal gasket? It appears to have a rubber coating on both sides which looks like it would seal nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
It appears to have a rubber coating on both sides which looks like it would seal nicely.
I've got this style and have removed it MANY times this past year. It always reseals perfectly. It's a non-pressurized seal. Little to worry about as long as the cover-plate bolts are tightened correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
fxst1999 said:
I just bought a gasket from the dealer for my 99 Evo softail and they told me that they only use the metal primary cover gaskets now. They said that the beaded silicone is the "old style". Is there any disadvantage to this "new style" metal gasket? It appears to have a rubber coating on both sides which looks like it would seal nicely.
The only disadvantage is that it goes for about $30.00. I got an aftermarket for about 1/2 that at Fog Hollow. A major advantage is that it's much easier to install without breaking or having it sag away from the sealing surface. Also, it can be used multiple times.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top