V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good ones? Just looking for info for a guy from another board.

Thanks!

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool Randy! Thanks!

A guy in the Deuce Owner's forum was stranded with a dealer pushing him to do a stroker 106"........ No clue how they landed on that idea, but I'm sure either of the two you mentioned will take care of him.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
KingofCubes said:
Latus and Baisley are both in Oregon.
Ditto that,see Mike Stegman if you go to Latus.
Mike worked for Baisley many years ago then had his own indy speed shop before Latus bought him out and Latus uses Baisley heads and other products on many of their builds (including mine:thumbsup: )

Q&A forum hosted by Mike @ Latus
http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/mbbs2/category-view.asp

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Y2K!

The guy is on the right track with Latus.

He had someone else out there give him a crazy quote. They wanted $1,000 for head porting, and they were going with a KB 9.25 piston. All while claiming at least 100 horse from a 95". That's a lot of porting and power for such a low comp piston.......... Unless of course they were going with a tiny chamber. Crazy stuff!

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
Stop by Latus and chat with Mike Stegman. He will answer all of your questions and give you all of the time you need. I'm sure there are others, but Latus is the only HD performance shop I know of.

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rocker!

He is supposed to let me know what he ends up with.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
oh1deuce said:
Thanks Y2K!

He had someone else out there give him a crazy quote. They wanted $1,000 for head porting, and they were going with a KB 9.25 piston. All while claiming at least 100 horse from a 95". That's a lot of porting and power for such a low comp piston.......... Unless of course they were going with a tiny chamber. Crazy stuff!
I think my Baisley heads were less than $700 exchange at Latus.
We went with SE cast 10.25:1 pistons in my 95" build and .030 Cometic head gaskets for a compression ratio of about 9.7:1.
Cams are S&S gear drive 570's,with the Mikuni HSR42 carb,SE breather,stock header with Hooker slip ons and Dynatech programmable ignition it made 105hp/115tq on the dyno at the rear wheel.
I have since switched to Rhinehart true duals and an SE CV 44 carb.
Still made 105hp,torque dropped to 110lbs but it runs better overall especially at high altitudes and I picked up 4 mpg on average.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
oh1deuce said:
Thanks Y2K!

Just because you use a 9.25 piston doesn't mean you can't pump up the c/r. Just by using a .030 gasket you are just about 9.5:1, take .020 or .030 off of the heads and you have 10:1 or better. The nice thing about a KB piston is that the reliefs are bigger, to work with larger valves. You still have to check for clearence, but they work better than SEs and can be tighter in the cylinder due to the alloy they are made from.

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no doubt that you are absolutely correct on all points.

What size would the chambers end up being to get to the 10.1 range with a 9.25 piston?

Also, would you want huge valves on a 10.1 build?

I keep trying to learn some of this sh!t based on logic. Maybe I'm a$$ out on that angle.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Y2K said:
I think my Baisley heads were less than $700 exchange at Latus.
We went with SE cast 10.25:1 pistons in my 95" build and .030 Cometic head gaskets for a compression ratio of about 9.7:1.
Cams are S&S gear drive 570's,with the Mikuni HSR42 carb,SE breather,stock header with Hooker slip ons and Dynatech programmable ignition it made 105hp/115tq on the dyno at the rear wheel.
I have since switched to Rhinehart true duals and an SE CV 44 carb.
Still made 105hp,torque dropped to 110lbs but it runs better overall especially at high altitudes and I picked up 4 mpg on average.
Yup. Some amazing numbers from that dyno...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts