V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this was addressed once before in a prior post of mine, but it wasn't the sole topic, so it did not get much attention. I placed my order for my TW-6 cam Monday and should get it by Friday. When I originally spoke to Bob Woods he highly reccomended it with the TW-6. I have to say many folks I have talked to suggested not, that it was really just a tuning device and that it was definitely not needed for the TW-6. King of Cubes and others said "run it straight up." So now that I've ordered the cams, and will start installing them as soon as this weekend, I'm having second thoughts on whether or not I should gone with the advanced key? The concept of moving the power band back 400 rpm sounds like a good one, but I don't want to introduce something else that isn't required or even helpful. It certainly isn't a cost issue at $50 with the order of the cam. Thanks for any input!

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cams

JagmanR said:
I realize this was addressed once before in a prior post of mine, but it wasn't the sole topic, so it did not get much attention. I placed my order for my TW-6 cam Monday and should get it by Friday. When I originally spoke to Bob Woods he highly reccomended it with the TW-6. I have to say many folks I have talked to suggested not, that it was really just a tuning device and that it was definitely not needed for the TW-6. King of Cubes and others said "run it straight up." So now that I've ordered the cams, and will start installing them as soon as this weekend, I'm having second thoughts on whether or not I should gone with the advanced key? The concept of moving the power band back 400 rpm sounds like a good one, but I don't want to introduce something else that isn't required or even helpful. It certainly isn't a cost issue at $50 with the order of the cam. Thanks for any input!
Being a stocking dealer( and his largest account worldwide, in 2004 and 2005) of those cams for years, and with way over a decade of experience with his grinds,in all forms of applications, we run those "straight up" with any our various levels of cylinder head work.
Without the added mechanical compression to correctly support that cam, via the heads/pistons, then the cam set can benefit from an advance key to boot it up faster, if that is what your looking to do.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
It is easy to get too high of a c/r for this engine when you advance the cam from an intake closing of 38 degrees to 34 degrees.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
As you know, thats a favorite cam for us here. Straight up is nice with a +2 if you want it to bite a bit quicker. The +4 gets to be a bit too much with that cam timing.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hillsidecycle.com said:
Being a stocking dealer( and his largest account worldwide, in 2004 and 2005) of those cams for years, and with way over a decade of experience with his grinds,in all forms of applications, we run those "straight up" with any our various levels of cylinder head work.
Without the added mechanical compression to correctly support that cam, via the heads/pistons, then the cam set can benefit from an advance key to boot it up faster, if that is what your looking to do.
I think I mis-tagged the quote earlier...you were the one who liked these cams "straight up." Thanks for the further feedback. I'm running SE Heads and 95" Flat Tops with a Fatcat at 10-1CR. Sounds like I'm good without the advance. They are going in Saturday...along with the pipe!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul...I had the same thoughts on the CR issue and the timing decrease.

Rock....thanks buddy. I'm going with the straight cam. I'm pretty excited to get a Woods cam back in a bike. The old 5G on the Fatboy was fun. Looking forward to a bit different flavor with the lower lift, greater duration etc.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Squeeze

JagmanR said:
Paul...I had the same thoughts on the CR issue and the timing decrease.

Rock....thanks buddy. I'm going with the straight cam. I'm pretty excited to get a Woods cam back in a bike. The old 5G on the Fatboy was fun. Looking forward to a bit different flavor with the lower lift, greater duration etc.
In light of the squeeze on the build, straight up would be it.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
With the large selection of cams out there finding one with the correct timing is not hard. The key does have it's place. But if you are altering the cam to fit the build then maybe a cam with different specs would be the better way to go. Bob makes a wide selection of cams.

We will use the key set in a build that the owner is doing in stages, and the head work is not done and you need to make the engine think the cam is smaller than it really is. Example a 88 inch motor stock compression and a 26 andrews cam. A +2 key will make it run extremely well, then when the customer is ready to go 95 heads, he can pull the key and he is raedy to go.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HDWRENCH said:
With the large selection of cams out there finding one with the correct timing is not hard. The key does have it's place. But if you are altering the cam to fit the build then maybe a cam with different specs would be the better way to go. Bob makes a wide selection of cams.

We will use the key set in a build that the owner is doing in stages, and the head work is not done and you need to make the engine think the cam is smaller than it really is. Example a 88 inch motor stock compression and a 26 andrews cam. A +2 key will make it run extremely well, then when the customer is ready to go 95 heads, he can pull the key and he is raedy to go.
Thanks...That makes perfect sense to me, and not the case with me with 95" motor and SE Heads at 10-1. I just wonder why Bob pushes that product so hard with his TW-6 cams.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SEDELUXE said:
Jag i know you stated you were going to run the cam streight up, but i have a question: why did you want the power so low with the 4* advance. a lot of people say wel they never ride in the upper rpm range any way but you would be surprised on how fast a worked engine will rev. weather or not you dont ride in the upper rpm range imo you still need a little on top just in case you never know. i know when im taking off from a stop there are times i just have to gun it and im up in that rpm range where no one rides.
Deluxe...also totally agree with you. I didn't necessarily want the power that low, it was what Bob Wood highly reccomended when I discussed cams with him. I have used his TW 5G on another bike (very different cam with .575 lift and shorter duration), and I love his cams, but it's the first time I the advance gear was so highly reccomended. What I DON'T want thought is a cam that comes on at 3000 RPM. I need at minimum 2500 power and ideally below...the TW 6 is promoted as "strong power off idle through redline" so not sure where the advance gear advice fits either. Also will be putting a Fatcat back on my bike Monday along with these cams, and from having one in the past, I know how much smoother and faster reving these pipes make the motor, so your point makes even more sense.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll actuallly be installing the TW6 along with my Fatcat Monday, but since we're talking about those cams again, I have another question;

You know my 5G's were gear drive and fairly high lift. They had a little valve train noise and definitely had gear whine, (which bothered me more than the valve train noise), but I never really considered them to be obnoxious in any form. I was doing some reading regarding the TW6 as I get ready to install, and of course the topic of noise comes up again. Some have said "quiet as stock" others say "loud as hell but worth it". So for these Wood Cams, TW-6 chain drive vs gear and not 6HG, .510 vs .590 lift, is there still reason the cams will be noisier than say any other mild bolt in with a .510 lift and 240 duration? They're going in either way, I was just hoping that since I didn't go the high lilft and gear route that the infamous Wood noise would not be part of the package.

I'm hoping to see some nice power improvements from the current SE 203's!

Thanks all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts