1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
77 Posts
3.3 gallons will only get you about 125 miles. That is the size of my original tank on my 2001. I bought a tank from Fat Tanks, 5.5 gallons. I can cruise over 250 miles between fill ups. If I had to do it over again I would get a FXD tank and have the rear bracket welded on. It hold 4.4 gallons but looks better.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got the 3.9 gallon (stretch tank to replace stock 3.3 gal) and I go to reserve almost same time my husband does with 3.3 gal stock tank. Of course I have more reserve than he does. In any case, I don't think people usually buy the stretch tank for the purpose of getting more miles between gas stops (to tell the truth I don't care how often I have to stop... I only do 60-80 miles between stops anyway).

You know I just noticed you said 125 miles. We can go 145 before switching to reserve, and then another about 30 miles after that on the reserve. When we went to CO the altitude caused bad gas mileage so it was about 135 when we went to reserve... never been down to 125 tho on a 3.3.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Just curious as to were you got your tank. That will be the first major mod I do to my 2002 883 Custom.

thanks,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KrustyTC said:
Just curious as to were you got your tank. That will be the first major mod I do to my 2002 883 Custom.

thanks,
KrustyTC
J&P, they didnt make they are just a distributor. You dont want this tank. See http://209.151.86.249/forums/showth...=&threadid=2399 according to J&P every tank of this design has a bad fitting cap. They have another tank except it has twist in caps and a dash for the speedo. I am gonna go with that one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tank

rwb said:
3.3 gallons will only get you about 125 miles. That is the size of my original tank on my 2001. I bought a tank from Fat Tanks, 5.5 gallons. I can cruise over 250 miles between fill ups. If I had to do it over again I would get a FXD tank and have the rear bracket welded on. It hold 4.4 gallons but looks better.

Hey Sporty...where did you get your tank?

Freddie

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I apreciate the heads up. Thanks. Don't they also offer this tank without the flush mount cap? I used the Kuryakhan flush mount screw in caps on a fat bob style tank I had on my Honda VLX (bike I sold to get the Sportster) and they worked out pretty good. They weren't exactly flush mounted either but still looked really good.

I'll probably end up with a smooth top stretched tank with screw in caps. There are a bunch of sites out there that have them.

thanks again,
KrustyTC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts