V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any opinions on the NXT half helmets from NexL Sports Products?

I understand that they are DOT approved, and are among the lighter helmets out there, but I do not want to trade "looks" for protection. Am in CA, so the whole helmet debate is out the window... Guess out here, it boils down to DOT helmets vs. those who prefer to risk it with the novelty helmets.

Am open for any suggestions on any other half helmets out there that you would recommend...

Thanks for the the feedback!!
:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
helmets

I just bought a nextel shorty and it's great!!! Fit and finish is better than others. A little pricey, but worth it.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi all, I just bought a Harley leather covered half helmet and was overtaken by the looks rather than the feel and fit. It's too heavy, I feel like one of those bobble head sports dolls when I wear it. I guess its going on eBay and I will be looking for a lighter half helmet. I did notice in the latest J&P Cycles catalog a DOT approved half helmet that has padding 25% thinner than foam but still works. I will investigate that one too because not only does it claim to be lighter, it also looks like the outside shell is closer to the head for a less "nerdy" look.
Bill

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Biker's Choice Skid Lids are DOT approved, and do not look nerdy. @ $39.00, hard to beat.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought one a few years ago when they first came out. Nothing else in a legal helmet is similar or even close. They use materials that make it very light and strong. You don't have that "Turtle Look" .

But me and a buddy who got one both found they seem to run small so best to try one on at a dealer.

·
Registered
985 Posts
This thread has been around before.
Bottom line, try one before you buy.
I wear an XL in all brands except nexl.
I tried an XXL at a dealer, too small, too tight front to back.
If you have a perfect round head it will prob. fit.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
chops said:
If you have a perfect round head it will prob. fit.
And it won't hurt so bad whan Lucy pulls the football and ya end up flat on yer back. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm also thinking about getting a Nexl Half Helmet. I don't like my Skid Lid at all.

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
I tried the nexl helmets, and I still looked like mushroom headed fool. I guess it´s something you have to live with if you want a DOT helmet and don´t have a wide, round face. They are pretty light though.
At a closer look I thought that the Nexl helmets with designs other than flat colors looked really cheap because the designs are not painted on but decals.

I use an ACC carbon fiber helmet. It ain´t DOT, but it´ll give you more protection than the usual novelty helmets and looks ok.

Ride Safe

·
Bank Robber
959 Posts
Sponk said:
I tried the nexl helmets, and I still looked like mushroom headed fool. I guess it´s something you have to live with if you want a DOT helmet and don´t have a wide, round face. They are pretty light though.
At a closer look I thought that the Nexl helmets with designs other than flat colors looked really cheap because the designs are not painted on but decals.

I use an ACC carbon fiber helmet. It ain´t DOT, but it´ll give you more protection than the usual novelty helmets and looks ok.

Ride Safe
Ah yes, the great GAZOOO look. Also, they failed each and every DOT test in 2001 (Impact, retention, penetration and even labeling). Now they said they re-released the helmet which puts it in compliance, but who knows until it gets tested again. If you are interested in DOT compliance, you might do some more research.

http://www.friction-zone.com/HelmetTesting.pdf

This is from 2003 and says that the updgrade failed to meet compliance too.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/pdf/03-8941.pdf

Fangar

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with some of the others here. If you have a perfectly round head, you will probably like it. I bought one, but it was too tight on me in the front and back. Try one on before you buy.

Amen has the best price I have seen. Here is their link:

Amen Motorcycles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sponk said:
I tried the nexl helmets, and I still looked like mushroom headed fool. I guess it´s something you have to live
Great....I have a 6&7/8" hat sized head....Are there any DOT silm fitting 1/2 helmets out?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
They look nice and the price wouldnt be bad if I could find someone local so I could try it on. I've heard quite a few time's they fit different so would rather be safe then have another paper weight for the closet. The only place I've seen them in NJ is deals in wheels on 1& 9 but they dont stock them any more and just have a few small left and there usless to me with this melon!!
JTS

·
Registered
934 Posts
JTS1469 said:
They look nice and the price wouldnt be bad if I could find someone local so I could try it on. I've heard quite a few time's they fit different so would rather be safe then have another paper weight for the closet. The only place I've seen them in NJ is deals in wheels on 1& 9 but they dont stock them any more and just have a few small left and there usless to me with this melon!!
JTS
Here's a list of dealers:

http://www.nexlsports.com/index.php/cmd/helmet_dealers

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I think they are good...

The wife and I just bought a pair from J&P, which was cheaper than the suppliers because of shipping. We were basically lidless riders, wanted to wear lids, but our current lids were too heavy, and coulda been used as kites. So, we tried these. Very lightweight, very wind-resistant. We both like.

The fit is critical, because they lack the soft/comfort padding. There is some, enough to snug the fit, but other than than, they are purely functional. There is an optional pad on the top, but it really only makes a decent looking lid into the Gazoo-head. Doesn't improve the comfort very much at all. Also, it seems to be cooler (temp) than the other DOTs. I think because of the padding issue, head is not "crammed" into a pillow. I can wear all day and be comfortable, even without all the excess (soft) padding. The web site has instructions on how to measure your noggin for fit. Worked fine for us, and they are happy to speak with you about it on the phone.

Bottom line, now we wear DOT helmets. MUCH better than going lidless or wearing novelty helmets. If you have the safest helmet in the world, but won't wear it, it won't do you any good.

In terms of the DOT failures... I read the DOT reports. NeXL wasn't the best, but then, alot of the "namebrand" helmets didn't fair so well either. NeXL is better ON my head than another one OFF my head.

We have matching orange flames (graphics). Other than looking like we ride Goldwings (ie: matching), the graphics are good. Yes, they are decals, but they are cleared over, and I think there is painted pinstripe edgeline. I think the fit and finish is very good.

I am not a rep, nor affiliated in any way with NeXL.

·
Bank Robber
959 Posts
Bot said:
Bottom line, now we wear DOT helmets...
If you say so.

Anyway, glad you are happy with them. I almost bought one until I saw a guy wearing one. I have such a pin head, that I wouldn't have been happy. You are correct that many manufacturers that claim to be DOT, fail in testing. Very few if any fail every category.

Fangar

·
Registered
13 Posts

^
l
l
l
NexL DOT 1/2 helmet

^
l
l
l
Skid Lid DOT 1/2 helmet

I just bought a NexL DOT 1/2 helmet to replace my piece O' crap Skid Lid....I still sport the "mushroom head" look but not as bad now.

NexL sez......."The new NexL 05's Meet or exceed DOT FMVSS 218 standards for motorcycle use as of June 17, 2003"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts