V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading endless discussions about exhaust mods, but I still don't feel like my question is completely answered. So, here it is.

I have an '03 Deuce coming. I am having SE air cleaner and breather, along with dynojet kit installed. I am considering SE II slip-fit mufflers (Part #80344-00). I am wondering what you guys have to say about this exhaust. What are your opinions regarding sound and horsepower changes? If you don't like the SE pipes, what do you recommend? Thanks for any info you can give me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am not sure about the Horsepower as I has SE II put on my bike straight away. I do not mind the looks but they are pretty quiet so I am looking to change, my riding buddies have all sorts of pipes that sound much better. I am looking at Supertrapp Mean Mothers or V&H Bigshots, I am not sure if these will give me any increase HP or Torque over my current set up, looking for answers as well

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I am having this same type of set up out on my 2003 Heritage when I hit the 1000 mile mark. Like you, I am going with the SE II slip ons, SE air cleaner and Yost power tube. The Yost power tube was highly recommended over the SE kit. My dealer told me to expect a significant jump in HP, torque and throttle response. I think he said it was good for around 12 hp (??) and he will dyno the bike before and after.

One other note was that these bikes all come from HD running lean. This change would correct that and he said the bike would run better all the way around including starting, etc...

I decided to let him do the work because of the dyno. He will include plots of the before and after results.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the SE slip ons with the SE air cleaner mod , RPM module and dealer burn on ecm. 02 flhtci. pipes got louder after about a thousand miles. still not as loud as some of my freinds but cant easily listen to radio at highway speeds. runs and pulls good.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I also have the screamin eagle stuff. The ecm flash and the breather kit. I am very pleased with my setup. It will never be a top dog street performer, no matter how much money i drop in it. E.P.A. limits noise to about 80 decibles, I think. The screamin eagles II are rated at about 89 db, so when your cruise'n there not load. But when you do get on it, they'll talk to ya. My performance gain was only 8 horse on a real hot day. Now I have buddies with the Vance and Hinds and another bud with a 1200 sporty with the short drag pipes. I do not ride behind them, its horrible. You need to ask yourself if your look'n to make noise or to make more torque and lower rpm's. I know alot of manufacturers say they inprove hp, but where. Is it in the rpm range you'll be using the most. In town I'm not out pushing it up to fifty-five hundred R's very much.
My best advice would be to listen to other exhausts. Its like buying a stereo in a way. What ever sounds good to you, go with.

It will be music to your ears

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, but I just started reading this forum. I just bought an '01 Road King. It's fuel injected and has a stock exhaust. So I have some questions about exhausts for mine as well. Anyway, I had a '00 Heritage Softail w/carb. The first thing I did was the Stage I kit, thunderslide for the carb and SE IIs. The SEs had a nice sound, but I wanted something a little louder. After a couple of months, I replaced the SEs with Python IIIs, not the slip ons, but complete exhaust. Nice sound and my riding pals thought so as well. Only problem is that the complete Python system (including heatshields) is pretty expensive. I think that they make slip-ons too, but I'm not sure. I don't know if the difference in the sound between the SEs and the Pythons was worth the money. The SEs are still in my attic if your still looking for a set, but I don't think that they'll fit your bike.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a FI Deuce and put on the SE II slip-ons. They were not loud enough, so I took them apart, and knocked the baffle further over, so now they are 60% open instead of 15% open as they come. They are deep and just loud enough to bark a little. I just punched a 2" dowel through to move the baffle over.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Options Please...

These are my thoughts and my process for my new 2003 Electra Glide Classic.

I did the 1550 upgrade right after my 1600 km service. You CAN NOT GO WRONG with the Screaming Eagle Stage 1 or Stage 2 upgrade from the start. GOOD CHOICE!!

If you can afford the 1550 DO IT!

As for pipes... Thought about Samson, talked to everybody including people here, over all opinion was DON'T DO IT!

Thought about COBRA'S... But not on a Decker.

Thought about HARD CHROME - Love these PIPES. No blueing, awsome sound, excellect looks, unfortunately nothing for a Decker. FOR A DEUCE -EXCELLENT CHOICE! (Would be mine)

However I went for Vance & Hines because of their excellent reputation. Quality and service. They have a great selection of Decker pipes. I went with the Turn Downs which look like an Eagles Tallon.

As far as performance, any aftermarket pipe will give you atleast 10% better HP when combined with a better breather - SE or other wise. I should have gone with the Hypercharger or Twin Velocity, but then what would I have to do over the winter months.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts