V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,580 Posts
"Racer bearing" sorry never heard of that either. It is not possible for a bearing failure in any of the 3 assemblies to contaminate the other 2, it is possible for a failed mainshaft support bearing to cause instability of the tranny input bearings inside of the main drive gear, possibly leading to a failure of those bearings, but not contaminating this bearings, unless you can go into a lot more detail with terminology I recognize I am inclined to believe you are exaggerating. But that's OK, almost everyone that rides a Harley exaggerates and comes up with some incredibly entertaining stories

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have an 09 EG with 96" motor, 35000 miles. The only things I've done to it is because I chose to do them. I've done a stage 1 and installed a SE comp. When I took the stock comp out it was fine. I just didn't like that it was so noisy. The 96" is a good motor. I've not had any problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had 80,000 miles on my 08 Road Glide before I traded it in with no problems. the compensator would "clunk" a little, but it always started and gave me no other problems.

·
Registered
546 Posts
For some reason most humans are tuned to remember the bad. I'm certain the majority of us do not focus on it. In all my years and all the Harleys I have owned never had the problems we read about. Not to say they did not happen, it is that we read it so much we tend to remember.

If we read all the time about how long these machines can last we would probably get bored.
Usually the only people who post are those having problems, the majority don't post and say "My bike is running fine, no problems". I guess that's the way it should be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned shovelheads and evos all of my adult life. I currently have a 95 Ultra Classic and my wife rides a '89 Custom Softail. I'm 58 and my wife and I thought that this spring we would take some bike trips to the Ozarks and the Smokies so I decided to buy a newer bike. One reason was that my 95 has over 130,000 miles on it. The other was for the newer frame and upgraded technology. I ended up buying a 2010 Merlot/Sunglo Ultra Classic with 21,000 miles on it and I love the bike. Since I bought it I have spent more time on the bike websites reading reviews, problems etc with the 96 ci motors. This bike runs flawlessly, doesn't clunk, clank or bang when putting in gear or shifting. Doesn't seem to run that hot either. It's completely stock except for a pair of Rush slip ons. Granted, I bought it just before winter set in, so I've only ridden it about 300 miles. My question is, with all I've read about compensator problems, overheating, throttle sensor trouble, etc on the 96 cubic inch, is there anyone out there with a high mileage, stock 96 cubic inch that hasn't had any problems??
I have close to 40k on a 96 2007 and besides exhaust not stock all original. Awesome no issues still no oil burn, when in Sturgis everyone was shutting down because of heat on the slow ride a few years back (in town) this baby ran flawless. Have also a 103 may cam the 96 to give it a little more move. But doesn't really need it. NO other issues besides oil change runs completely stock. And she runs throttle on most of the time.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Eventually you are going to have to fix something on your bike if you keep it for a long time. My 2004 FLHT has 175,000 mi. upgraded to 95in at 1000,000 mi. Gear drive instead of cam chains, so I have no worries on the one major probem earlier 88's have. Keep it maintained, fix problems when they occur and your bike will run a very long time.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts