V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned shovelheads and evos all of my adult life. I currently have a 95 Ultra Classic and my wife rides a '89 Custom Softail. I'm 58 and my wife and I thought that this spring we would take some bike trips to the Ozarks and the Smokies so I decided to buy a newer bike. One reason was that my 95 has over 130,000 miles on it. The other was for the newer frame and upgraded technology. I ended up buying a 2010 Merlot/Sunglo Ultra Classic with 21,000 miles on it and I love the bike. Since I bought it I have spent more time on the bike websites reading reviews, problems etc with the 96 ci motors. This bike runs flawlessly, doesn't clunk, clank or bang when putting in gear or shifting. Doesn't seem to run that hot either. It's completely stock except for a pair of Rush slip ons. Granted, I bought it just before winter set in, so I've only ridden it about 300 miles. My question is, with all I've read about compensator problems, overheating, throttle sensor trouble, etc on the 96 cubic inch, is there anyone out there with a high mileage, stock 96 cubic inch that hasn't had any problems??

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I know or have met several with over 50,000 and a few with approaching 100,000 with no problems except a few put in SE comps. My 08 has been pretty much perfect, just a broken handlebar switch. The extra torque is welcome over the 88 but I don't push the bagger hard enough to put in 103 pistons and just a cam and tune made it perfect.

·
Registered
852 Posts
44K and the bike runs fine.
('07 UGC)
Stage One (SE mufflers/SE A/C) and Power Commander 3 is all I've done.
Needed a new horn and primary gasket but under warranty.
Replaced the compensator a couple of years ago.

I do my own oil changes.

Gone all over the country and will continue to do so.
Love the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I have over 104,000 miles on my '08 Ultra and have had no issues other than replacing the compensator with a SE version a couple years ago.

This was my first Harley and was told by some that about 40,000 miles was all I could expect out of the motor before needing a major overhaul.

Either they were wrong or I was extremely lucky.

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
I have over 104,000 miles on my '08 Ultra and have had no issues other than replacing the compensator with a SE version a couple years ago.

This was my first Harley and was told by some that about 40,000 miles was all I could expect out of the motor before needing a major overhaul.

Either they were wrong or I was extremely lucky.
For some reason most humans are tuned to remember the bad. I'm certain the majority of us do not focus on it. In all my years and all the Harleys I have owned never had the problems we read about. Not to say they did not happen, it is that we read it so much we tend to remember.

If we read all the time about how long these machines can last we would probably get bored.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
You've got one of the newer comps so I wouldn't be concerned at all. I would not be afraid to ride that bike across the country. There is a very good chance it'll go another 100k miles without any major issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey "Miles to Go"
You mentioned to 95Ultra that he "has one of the newer comps." What years are those newer comps? I ride an 08 Rocker and am still trying to learn about it as I've only had it for about 5 months now.
Thanks....Colt.45

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've never had any major engine or tranny problems with any Harley I've owned. Mostly been stuff like voltage regulators, batteries. Had a 1978 Electraglide (AMF) that the starter stuck in the on position while running one time. That was a headache. This being my first twin cam, I just wondered what kind of luck others were having with them. I love the smoothness of this bike over my 95 Ultra Classic, although I am keeping the old Evo. Also, I'm starting to like this twin cam's fuel injection a lot too. First bike I've owned that had it. Hit the starter and vroom, she's ready to go. I love the paint job on this bike. Merlot/Sunglo Cherry I think. Anyway it's the two tone custom Harley paint. Lot's of metalflake in the sun. Changes colors. I gave 15k for it, probably could have found one a little cheaper, but this one was close to home and the bike seems to be in mint condition. I'll try to post a picture.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Hey "Miles to Go"
You mentioned to 95Ultra that he "has one of the newer comps." What years are those newer comps? I ride an 08 Rocker and am still trying to learn about it as I've only had it for about 5 months now.
Thanks....Colt.45
I'm not that familiar with the Rocker model. Maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i have a 2010 UC with 64000+ on it. 96" motor. i had to have to inner primary bearing replaced at 34xxx. service center caught it before it shredded into oil pump and transmission. that is the only problem and that was covered under ESP. the best upgrades i have done for the money is 1 progressive monotubes on front and 440 shocks on rear. 2 sent seat to mean city cycles and had my sundowner redone for long distance riding. 3 replaced all lights with LED's. the engine has plenty of get up and go so there been no reason to bust into it.
also i run perrelli night dragons as the best tire for all weather and ride. dunlop 407/408's are the longest mileage tire. i am very happy all the way around.
patrick

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 08 Ultra Classic has all the power I need, I'm into comfort not speed. I bought the bike used and had lots of cosmetic parts that needed changing, previous owner was rough on it that way. I purchased it with 52K miles on it, engine/transmission running great. I've logged over 15k in miles since I got it one year ago and no troubles at all. Good strong motor, but like anything mechanical it needs to be properly maintained. My buddy traded his in with over 150K miles on it, just did the required maintenance. If you maintain them, they will run.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts