V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the best plug wires for the V-Twin market? Just wondering? Are they all about the same or does someone really make a set that is superior?

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
taylor thundervolt 50

rpbrock said:
Who has the best plug wires for the V-Twin market? Just wondering? Are they all about the same or does someone really make a set that is superior?
don't knowif they're the best,but I like the 10mm wires,low resistance,hold up well and of course.............they look good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
stay away from the neon ones. ;)
I run one yellow and one orange in tribute to the Marlboro Man bike. The dyno can't tell the difference. Doing this requires ordering a set of each color and splitting them up. I'll change them out with the unused pair if they get ill but they're going on 4 years now.
Sumax 8mm colored plug wires.

·
Registered
276 Posts
rpbrock said:
I have had very good luck w/ the Harley OEM plug wires.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
No proof, but I bet you don't notice the difference. It seems plugs and plug wires, don't do much mre then spark. Dunno maybe high performance build would be different..

·
Registered
38 Posts
rpbrock said:
OEM wires, in serviceable condition, are all you need. Anything else is a waste of money. And in consideration of Delphi EFI, other wires may cause trouble codes to appear.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought. Just checking to see if there was any new technology in the wire arena over the last 10 years or so.

·
Banned
871 Posts
rpbrock said:
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought. Just checking to see if there was any new technology in the wire arena over the last 10 years or so.
Actually, I don't think there's been any new technology in about the past 30 years. :) A lot of companies say they have something "new and improved" but they usually don't perform any better than stock. They do a great job of draining your wallet, though. LOL! Same goes for spark plugs... stock is fine for just about any performance engine.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Stock black ones are faster...........

On EFI models the ion sensing knock detection can go off the path with 'sophisticated' wires.

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
I now get the wire in bulk and make my own, before that I used Screamin Eagle wires.

Since I change the plugs and wires so often (drag racing) it was cheaper for me to go the bulk route.
I had good results with the SE wires, I just didn't like making the already fat pig dealer even fatter.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
So, what's supposed to be special about the wires with the braided covering, with ground wires? Is that a sales pitch gimmick? My bike has them, although they were on when I bought it. Bike runs great but may change them soon due to some corrosion.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola (1995 FXDWG)
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Banned
871 Posts
steveusmc said:
So, what's supposed to be special about the wires with the braided covering, with ground wires? Is that a sales pitch gimmick? My bike has them, although they were on when I bought it. Bike runs great but may change them soon due to some corrosion.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola (1995 FXDWG)
USMC 1972 - 2003
More snake oil. I guess they look purty, too. :) Save your money and go with stock wires. Performance-wise, they will handle anything you throw at them.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Oh, but I saw some pretty wires next to the spray can of compression at the Auto Zone.:265:

Thorns

1 - 20 of 23 Posts