V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I'm new to the forum and on a waiting list, so not even an owner yet. But I'm trying to learn about Harleys and get some things sorted out before hand. Anyway, I've ordered an 883 Custom. The most common modification seems to be SE air filter and pipes, and rejetting the carb. My question is, for those three changes, can you actually FEEL any difference in power? I've added K&N filters to some of my cars in the past, and never felt any difference. I would like to do it if there is a real felt difference, but not if it is all psychological. I would love your opinions please.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
No, you won't feel any difference. When you change the air filter and pipes you have to rejet as your bike will be to lean to run for very long without some damage. Plus if you don't rejet when changing pipes they will blue from being lean.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry, what I should have added is that you will lose mid range power with a set of straight pipes. If you do change them get the thunderheader or something similiar. You can also try going to www.sportster.org and looking through their tech section.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RWB - Thanks for the input. But I did mention in my post that I knew about rejetting. So if you do all three of these upgrades, do you feel a difference?

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I did feel a noticable difference. I had logged almost 1000 miles on my bike in it's stock form first so I was use to the way my bike performed and afterwards I was smiling. It's most noticable when giving it hell which I occasionally do! :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
I did the stage one & got the jetting close then took it and had it dyno tuned , I got almost 9 horse out of it. definetly a noticeable change.
Larry

·
Registered
335 Posts
mostly to me it felt like the bike was finally running how it should, and damn it sounds good. but i am a little biased on the second point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'll probably do something after I've had it a while. But at least it sounds like it's worth doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is really a "no-brainer". It makes a noticeable difference (at least in my case). Aside from the healthier exhaust note the bike ran much better. I know how it feels to spend cash on something you THINK is going to be great and it turns out to be a disappointment. That is NOT the case w/paying the tax. Go to sportster.org and you will see just how often it is done. My bike became much more enjoyable after the pipe, AC, rejet thing. After that wears off you'll be looking into a 1200 conversion (just a hunch, but I bet it happens!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I found it to be quite a difference. I have V&H straightshots, SE cleaner and thunderjet kit (install the complete kit, not difficult). I have it on 2000 1200C.

For dyno numbers on different mods, check here...
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wheelman
Oh yeah. It'll make a difference you can feel. When I took off my cycle shack muffs & installed the stock ones I noticed Clyde didn't wind up as quickly & I couldnt hear any exhaust note to speak of. I ended up with the H-D "torque" accessory muffs. Got a little more snap out of acceleration w/o to much more noise. I think they may be nothing more than stock muffs w/ a hole in the baffle but I'm not sure.
Bruce

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sportster.org is the place to go my friend. Bought my wife a 2002 883 custom. She hated the vacuum cleaner sound. You don't need the thunder slider kit. To much money. All the jet sizes are on Sportster.Org. Anyways, I installed new jets, Air breather, and screamin Eagle slash down mufflers. The bike runs and sounds great now. She is happy for now. The money was well spent. Don't blame HD for the sorry Air breather, Jetting, and restrictive pipes. EPA punks are to blame. These mods don't take long to do either. Check ou Sportster.org hundreds of pics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I first tried to do just the jets as described by Maurice on sportster.org, but when I put the leatherlyke bags on, I would get a tremendous odor of raw fuel from the breather after twisting the throttle WOT. I figured I may as well try the thunderjet kit and followed the directions as stated, completely....Now, there is no raw gas odor and my throttle response is super with no carb farts and the mileage is around 50-55 per gallon. YMMV. Just another anecdotal incident I thought I would pass on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Owner of '01 883 with 800mi and my sporty will not be getting the "tax" paid. I've owned 4 BMW and another sporty and this current one is strong without carb farts etc. Completely stock expect the dress up goodies like bags and shield. I believe that each one should determine whether to 'pay the tax' and the cost benefit of such. To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to go in a muck around with a bike that runs fine. I ask, what would I gain?

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
cschlueter said:
I ask, what would I gain?
You would gain almost a 20 percent increase in horsepower and a better sounding bike IMHO. But if you are happy with your bike I'd leave it like it is also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts