V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I got a barebones, stock 2007 Street Bob (aside from the forward controls). I am going to admit this is my FIRST HD, and I have had a season riding it now. It is winter here now, and the bike, sadly, is in permanent park mode.

When I first bought the bike, I was told a very wise statement..."buying a HD is just the downpayment on the accessories!" After weeks and weeks of searching online and through HD catalouges, that statement couldn't be more true.

I know opinions are like a$$holes and everyone has one, and sometimes they stink. But my question is, when it comes to aftermarket, is it just better to go with HD manufactured accessories, or... wait for it... go for other manufacturers, like (ONLY for example), Kuryakyn.

I been checking out one site in particular called Cruiser Customizing, and they seem to be almost biased about this brand, even in the tip of the week vids (which I think are great in elimating some guess work when it comes to certain projects I know I want to tackle) they seem to focus on this brand.

I know this is a loaded question, but in a world like HD, which I love, do I want to look at accessories not made by HD themselves?

Thanks in advance for the feedback, good or bad.

EB
:cya:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
First off, welcome, and very nice Bob you got there! I had one, and loved it!

As far as mods are concerned, I like the HD parts - yes, they are more expensive, although I don't think they are all that more $$$, plus they are engineered to work well with the bike.

My suggestions on initial mods - do a stage 1 - upgrade your air filter and pipes - this will require either a flash of the ECU or you will need to get a tuner which will allow you to really dial in the performance of your bike.

I like the forwards on the Bob - I wish I would have done that to my bike.

Anyway, good luck on the mods!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@HarleyLance - I too am glad I went with the street bob... I had my heart set on a bagger (between the RK or the SG), but for a first HD, I am enjoying how nimble this bike it, and how much jam it has!

yes, those are mods I definately have been looking long and hard at. The V&H big radius 2 in 2, thinking black, and new air intake. I was looking at the V&H ECU module, do you have a recommendation for a different upgrade when it comes to reprogramming the air/fuel mixture?

I guess in my post I was thinking along the lines of chrome (or black) accessories, etc., front turn signal relocation, onto the triple tree etc. Using HD MO parts, or something like the Kuryakyn. I have found other websites (and ebay) to locate HDMO parts and compare pricing with.

Thanks again.
EB

·
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!
5,761 Posts
Hi there.

Customizing is, well something of a personal choice. The best I can suggest are a couple outline guides to follow.....too help you get in the end what you want it to look like.

1) I suggest before you spend your money, do you research and plain it out first.
If you can draw (Or have a friend that can, or your good with photo shop) do that first so the end result will all flow together.

2) Avoid themes....skulls, Live to ride, flame chrome ....it all looks great on the first guys bike, very dated by the 1000 bike and poserish in the end. Too my eye, a bike should reflect your idea of a bike, not the guy who made the catalog or the theme.

3) If you like it, and it works for you, then it's all good..........regardless of what anyone else (Including me) says.

4) Try to remember, adding custom items is like salt to a soup, a little it good, too much, and well, I think you get the point.

5) Always remember and never forget, opinions are like a noise, they all smell to some degree and it's up to you to pick it for yourself. And never let your friends pick it for you.

Good luck, and do post some pictures as you go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice looking Bob. To me, esp on a "bobber" type bike, less is more. The whole bobber thing was to take parts OFF a dresser and make it lighter, faster, cooler.

That being said, nothing cheapens a bike like cheap azz accessories. If you are going to get something, make sure it is well made, fits the bike and look that you are wanting.

HDs are like Leggos....

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
As far as getting HD or aftermarket, I think it really depends on what you are buying.

rkc

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
@HarleyLance - I too am glad I went with the street bob... I had my heart set on a bagger (between the RK or the SG), but for a first HD, I am enjoying how nimble this bike it, and how much jam it has!

yes, those are mods I definately have been looking long and hard at. The V&H big radius 2 in 2, thinking black, and new air intake. I was looking at the V&H ECU module, do you have a recommendation for a different upgrade when it comes to reprogramming the air/fuel mixture?

I guess in my post I was thinking along the lines of chrome (or black) accessories, etc., front turn signal relocation, onto the triple tree etc. Using HD MO parts, or something like the Kuryakyn. I have found other websites (and ebay) to locate HDMO parts and compare pricing with.

Thanks again.
EB
For my Bob, I went with the HD Heavy Breather air cleaner, SE slip ons, and initially just had the dealer do the ECU download for that combo, so no tuner initially. Since I used all HD parts, the download was pretty good, and I got great performance out of that package. At 1000 miles, I had the SE Super Tuner installed and had the Bob dynoed, which helped a bit more, and having the tuner was needed if I wanted to go further with engine mods, such as upgrading the cams, etc.

I kind of went with mostly chrome, with flashes of black - I had the horn cover blacked out, and upgraded the stock shocks to Progressive 412's in black. I thought it looked real good. The great thing with the Bob is that either chromed or blacked out it looks superb, and it doesn't take much to really make it stand out from the rest since bobbers are pretty spare intentionally. Man, I wish I still had that bike!!! :cool:

It will look great with whatever choices you make - have fun!!!

·
Sua Sponte
442 Posts
Depends on how anal you are, and what you can afford. There's some good after market stuff out there, and like HD parts it's made over seas too. You can run anything you want to buy by the people here and get both pos. and neg. feed back, You have to filter that yourself. It's a Harley, Now make it yours.

·
Banned
164 Posts
I have spent Tens of Thousands x 2 or 5 Dollars "customizing" bikes with HD and aftermarket, I should own stock in KURY. Should have sold my stock in HD. Here is where I am at Now. The most RARE and collectable Motorcycles are BONE STOCK. I Collect, Buy and Sell vintage motorcycles.
Value is in originality. You can add on tic tacks, the same crap that anyone with a credit card can buy. Go to Daytona and you will see the same old same old, Nothing unique!
Ride the bike, keep it clean and maintained. If you NEED something to make the ride better, safer, more comfortable, do it. It is after all about the ride, NOT about how it looks in the garage. Believe me , been there done that.
Back in the 60s and 70s we made our stuff. We couldn't just go to a book. LOOK at what was produced, true custom, one off hand made. That is custom.
Short story long, keep it simple, make it real, watch the road, what you can't see or feel from the seat is useless, or just for show. Man I have seen too many skulls and flames and splash, LTR it makes me sick. The first thing I do when I buy a bike is take all that crap off and throw it away. Basic Chrome is cool, stock parts good, all original priceless.
Check out the market ebay and CL ... an original stock Honda, Kawi or Yami sells for over twice what a cobbled custom brings. Every dollar you spend trying to make your bike "special" is a waste. 1000 other people bought the same sht.
I like custom bikes, respect the fabrication and the art. If you are just bolting on book bought parts, dude sorry. Make your bike your own, a true custom paint job is worth more than a thousand dollars worth of bolt on. Just saying. Old man POV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have spent Tens of Thousands x 2 or 5 Dollars "customizing" bikes with HD and aftermarket, I should own stock in KURY. Should have sold my stock in HD. Here is where I am at Now. The most RARE and collectable Motorcycles are BONE STOCK. I Collect, Buy and Sell vintage motorcycles.
Value is in originality. You can add on tic tacks, the same crap that anyone with a credit card can buy. Go to Daytona and you will see the same old same old, Nothing unique!
Ride the bike, keep it clean and maintained. If you NEED something to make the ride better, safer, more comfortable, do it. It is after all about the ride, NOT about how it looks in the garage. Believe me , been there done that.
Back in the 60s and 70s we made our stuff. We couldn't just go to a book. LOOK at what was produced, true custom, one off hand made. That is custom.
Short story long, keep it simple, make it real, watch the road, what you can't see or feel from the seat is useless, or just for show. Man I have seen too many skulls and flames and splash, LTR it makes me sick. The first thing I do when I buy a bike is take all that crap off and throw it away. Basic Chrome is cool, stock parts good, all original priceless.
Check out the market ebay and CL ... an original stock Honda, Kawi or Yami sells for over twice what a cobbled custom brings. Every dollar you spend trying to make your bike "special" is a waste. 1000 other people bought the same sht.
I like custom bikes, respect the fabrication and the art. If you are just bolting on book bought parts, dude sorry. Make your bike your own, a true custom paint job is worth more than a thousand dollars worth of bolt on. Just saying. Old man POV.
@gree: perfect advice

·
Registered
582 Posts
Keep in mind like you said it is your bike and what you like is what you like. That my friend will not impress everybody but F uck them It's yours and only you will ride it. I have an 07 Bob with V/N Big Radius check it out on the link below. Good luck too.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
It is winter here now, and the bike, sadly, is in permanent park mode.
Welcome, customizing your bike is individual. Some like bolt ons, some like to create their own stuff, some like to have a pro do everything.

My dyna has been constantly changed since I bought it in 97. It is on its 3rd set of pipes and third seat. Lots of other stuff has been changed over the years. I have some one of custom changes I did myself.

You will find your own way, just do what you like a f*k the rest.

btw, I'm from Calgary too, but I don't believe in winter. I ride through the winter every chance I get. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts