V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first bike, a 2005 Softtail Deluxe last fall and got to ride just over 3,000 miles before winter. My wife has been on the back for the last 2,500. I have an opportunity on a good deal on a 2006 Road King Classic. It seems to make sense considering my wife is looking forward to spring as much as me. We are planning some long trips and the extra load capability of the FLHRC is appealing. With my limited experience do any of you see any negatives. I took the MSF course and have been very comfortable on the Deluxe. How about low speed manuvering.
Thanks
RCL

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The RK will give you (and her) a much better two up ride.
Almost as good as my Eglide :brows:

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Yep the RK will feel like a cadillac compared to the softail to you both. Just for fun I would rent an Ultra and a RG to compare also, might as well before you pull the trigger. After all you don't want to be making another trade this time next year again. :)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I bought my 1st bike last year and also put 3,000 miles on it. Does it sound like much, but I put most of them on in just 3 months and then traveled most of the last 8 months which pretty much putting a crimp into my riding.

Any way to get to your question; I have a sporty which is fun, but I rented a Road King Classic and an Electra Glide Classic on Saturday and man what a ride. I was only going to do the RKC as that was the one I was interested in but the service manager said that if I have the time to swap it for the EG and I am glad I did. I put 90 some odd miles on the RKC and 78 on the ELG (in like an hour), mostly city and back roads with a little Interstate riding. Both bikes road well and handled like dream. I was riding in high winds and still enjoyed it even though I did get blown around some. The EG was an even better ride than the King to me, it really powered through a turn. Also both bikes lean over a long way for tighter turns and it was easy to do. I took the EL to the community college campus where I went through some of the MSF exercises, I could not stay in the box, but I was really close and I ran trough them once. I did stop by the other local Harley dealer who was having a big party for their anniversary with lots of bikes and the RK did very well maneuvering in and out of the parking lot. Hopes this helps.
Rory

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 03 Heritage Classic and 06 Ultra.

Really like riding both too bad work gets in the way.

One fundamental difference you will notice is that the rider sits down "in" the Softail. That gives a lower center of gravity. Or at least a sense of one.

When I first rode the Ultra the one thing that struck me was that it seemed a bit "top heavy" but then you are sitting more on top of the bike rather than down in the frame.

Both handle extremely well and the Touring family has the standard 88 ci as opposed to the 88B of the Softails. That means the Touring line is not slinging around all that balancer [email protected] that can eat fuel and power.

Test ride and see if you like it.

I won't give up either one. The Heritage is now used for short trips (1500 miles) and the Ultra for anything above that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I did it. As of this morning I own a 06 Road King Classic. I want to thank everyone for thier advice. It helped me with the decision. It will be sad when the dealer pickes up the Deluxe though. It snowed last night and is icy so I couldn't even ride it in.
Thanks again,
RCL

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2005 softail springer and we just bought an 06 RK classic. Next time your looking at a RK check out the forks and you will notice that the steering head bearings are ahead of the forks, that explains why the short wheel base and why the darn things are so easy to ride.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
The Road King is a nice ride, however I sold mine late last year and have been puttin solo on my hot rod Dyna...She has sentimental value and goes nowhere!

I was going to buy another Electraglide Standard which I had in the past and was the best tourer for comfort and price that I could find!

Then We rode the New Street Glide bagger! Suggestions :take it out with wife and compair that ride to the King and I believe the Glide will win hands down!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I miss all the bikes I used to have and love the one I have now. I think you'll feel the same.

Good luck and ride safe

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
If you're gonna do long miles, and you're looking at a RK Classic, one of the first things you'll have to do is swap out the seat. For the rider, it's only good for a max of 200 miles (in my book) but the passenger seat isn't good for more than about an hour. By then My GF was asking if we were home yet. (I heard one gal on a friend's bike say that is was a lot like sitting on a Kotex.)

I have an '05 RK Classic, so I speak with a bit of experience. I went with a Corbin Dual Tourer, but there are a lot of good saddles out there. I also swapped out the bars for a set of stock Heritage bars. Don't look nearly as cool, but feel one helluva lot better. (I'm still looking for a set that looks as good as the original ones but fits better.) And now the GF says "Whadda ya mean, go home?!?"

I don't get time to ride much right now; working too much. But last summer on vacation I put over 3k on it in a week and loved every minute of it. Looking to combine a fishing/riding vacation this summer up to Northern Ontario; I'm figuring on around 5k miles and a lot of time fishing, too.

Good luck with your new ride! You'll be happy with it, I'm sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts