V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering... I've never ridden a Harley before, but I've ridden dirt bikes and a few crotch-rockets. I am kinda stuck between a V-Rod and a Dyna-glide Low Rider. Which do you guys think would be better seeing as how I have limited riding experience? I like the idea of the V-Rod's speed, but I don't know how it will compare to anything else I've ridden.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hard to say, and depends what you want to do with it.

The Rod is a fast TT bike (tavern to tavern) but sucks on the highway. It sort of has the accelleration of a middle weight sport bike (a little more then a 600 but not even close to a liter bike) without the brakes and the handling. I suspect the maintenance and repair costs will be exorbitant if someone ever puts significant miles on one.

The Dyna is more of an all around bike, slow and very forgiving like all traditional Harleys, that could be used for touring in a pinch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info :)

JimmyK said:
Why not see about renting?

Well, there are two problems with renting, the first is that I didn't even know you could rent a Harley... and the second is that I don't have a motorcycle license yet. I rode the sport bikes in College (in Iowa) and we didn't have to have licences (at least I don't think so.. we prolly were supposed to have them.)

Anyone around Chicago on here that knows about renting Harleys??

---John

·
Registered
629 Posts
Go to a dealership and sit on them all.

Then test ride the ones you like.

Then buy it.

That is how I got mine:D I bought mine on a permit. In most states, you can take a safety course that will count as your test. A safety course is good either way.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The VRod has some problems for new riders, mainly that you can get in more trouble with it and yet not have the brakes or handling of a "cafe" style racer that you mentioned you rode in college. Please, as mentioned before, it's not very comfortable on the road.

My hunch is that Harley will have a "Road Type" bike with the VRod engine either this year or next but that does not help you for now...

So, I would go with anything other Dyna Glide, perahps the Sport model if you like to lay it low on the twisties....

Good luck either way!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
BTW, anyone else notice my grammer mistakes in that last post? Damn, I hate Mondays :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts