V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a cam change on my 09' Fatboy.
Already have a stage1, other than that engine is stock. I'm looking at the S&S 551c cams. I called them (S&S) and discussed my bikes mods and my riding style. Obviously, they suggested the 551c. I would really like opinions on other riders that have this setup.
I ride solo 100% of the time. I'm at the idle to 4500 rpm range. Won't be doing any other mods.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
the 551 is great in the bike/engine they were designed for.. a heavy bike,, think ultra classic or trike,, with a bone stock engine.. goes flat around 4500...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any other suggestions for my bike and type of riding?
But why would S&S suggest the 551. We talked at length and he said the 551 was ideal for me. Man, I'm confused.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Confused because of the 511 is for a heavier bike comment.
I went ahead and ordered the 511. After install I'll put some miles on her and report back.
Don your right, they told me what cam I needed, there should be no confusion. I took your advise.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I've run 551c going on 3 years now in a FXDL (Stage I and Rush 2n1) and absolutely love it. Really ramps up the low to mid range and unless you are heavy handed leaves you with reasonable mileage as well. 41-43 mpg @ 70-80 mph highway, 32-35 mpg around town if you hammer it all the time, 37-39 mpg if not. I can't say that it flattens out to bad on the top end, it is better than stock OEM by a long shot. Valley Racing, Beecher, IL did the dyno work and I beleive that can make or break the results on any install. Lugging is a big loser, if you operate in the low end of the range it will give you power but you will pay for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is one awesome cam!
Torque for days. When I get on it hard from a stop, it feels like the front wheel is coming off the ground. The bike is noticeably louder now. I'm running Rinehart slip ons. The idle "lope" is really nice. You can definitely tell its cammed up.

I called V&H to send me the correct map for this cam to use with my Fuelpac3. Got hold of tech support and like 5 minutes later it was mapped! It runs cool and there is no hesitation or any flat spots. Decel pop is non-existant. From idle to 4500rpm it pulls and pulls, then mellows out but still performs.

I ride solo 100% of the time. I didn't want a race bike, I just wanted a fun to ride bike that sounded really good. This cam delivered in spades! Very happy, and did all the work myself.

Parts used:
S&S 551 cam and kit. Came with gaskets and Torrington bearings.
Fueling lifters
Fueling cam tensioner shoes
S&S solid pushrods
Fueling cam bolts and hardened washers made by ARP
Also installed "Rock Outs" for the rocker arm shaft bolts.

Bought the Heartland cam bearing tool to remove and install cam bearings. Worked like a champ and was right at $100 from Amazon.
Bike is an 09' Fatboy 96ci. The inside stock cam chain tensioner shoe looked perfect, the outer shoe was worn maybe 10%. The bike has 20,000 miles on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts