V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the vtf forum, but have been stalking for weeks.
I am buying a 2006 flhxi in january and would like to do a 95 build, mostly se parts to maintain some kind of warranty:
95 bb kit
se performance heads
flat top pistons
se 204 or 211 cam
sert
thunderheader
Any advice or critiques would be appreciated on this.
Also looking for a good tuner with the serts in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. Thanks again.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Welcome to the forum...there are many hear that can and will chime in to answer your question on your build.
Come on guys, be bold, tell Trucco what he needs and what he doesn't need, but first Trucco you should tell them how you ride.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
trucco said:
I am buying a 2006 flhxi in january and would like to do a 95 build, mostly se parts to maintain some kind of warranty:
95 bb kit
se performance heads
flat top pistons
se 204 or 211 cam
sert
thunderheader
Also looking for a good tuner with the serts in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. Thanks again.
Bore your cylinders, saves $150-$180 over buying new cylinders.
Port your stock heads, porting starts at $299, less than half the cost of SE heads.
Check combustion chamber sizes, 10.25:1 SE cast pistons can make up the difference of commonly over size combustion chambers, yielding around 9.8-10:1 CR.
I like the 204's over the 211's in a bigger bike, more low end torque.
SERT is a must.

BTW, thats ALL SE or Stock parts.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
trucco said:
95 bb kit
se performance heads
flat top pistons
se 204 or 211 cam
sert
thunderheader
Welcome trucco!
I had the same dilemma a few months ago with my '05 FLSTCI. I was able to talk the dealer into letting me use some aftermarket parts and use my heads and cylinders for porting and bore/hone and keep my warranty with them. This actually saved me considerable amounts of money and get a build I actually wanted. You have a resource close to you that I discovered during this process. Engines by Otto in Sugar Grove can do all the machining and porting you would want. Since he builds engines for a living, he is well versed on combinations that work. Otto is also excellent on the SERT as he was the dyno tuner at Heritage in Lisle up until he went independent about 3 yrs ago. Unfortunately, he doesn't have his own dyno yet, so he and I have been traveling to some local dynos for tuning. He plans on getting a dyno so that he can keep it in-house and convenient but that won't be for a little while yet. Maybe by the time you are ready, he'll have one installed.

What dealer are you buying the new bike from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am buying the bike from Chi town harley and I do mostly 1 up riding looking for dependable build as I use my bike for commuting and long rides.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Personally, I would x the Thunderheader as well as the HD cams.
If I wanted a 2-1, I would go with the FatCat or Python 2-1 (same as PRo-Pipe but better looking and less money). Cam selection for me would be one from Andrews or woods.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Hey Doc, i'm still with you. I said I would be. However, i'm in the "disaster mitigation/property loss recovery" business and have had little time to do much of anything besides work, with the last Hurricanes that hit.
I was just asking in another thread if you build Evo's also... Do you?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
BadTwin said:
Hey Doc, i'm still with you. I said I would be. However, i'm in the "disaster mitigation/property loss recovery" business and have had little time to do much of anything besides work, with the last Hurricanes that hit.
I was just asking in another thread if you build Evo's also... Do you?
Yes I do build EVOs....you should stay in touch!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
While I agree that some of the combinations mentioned above would be desirable, if for some reason one would be limited to a dealer SE build then IMO the SE heads with flat tops and the 211 if you can talk them into sneaking a .030" Cometic gasket in there.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Yes I do build EVOs....you should stay in touch!
My apologies Doc. If your up to it, and if it's all the same to you, than I think i'm gonna do the fxrs first. I'll email or pm you with what i'm looking for and what my budget is and if there's a way you can come up with something with-in my budget, than i'm ready to drop her off as soon as your ready. otherwise i'll probably have to wait untill after the holidays due to the outlay of money that this time of year brings.....

Sorry about the thread Hi-jacking. I agree with Hippo if your set on staying with the moco parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts