V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling the head off my motor(valve spring and cam change) and by accident lifted the cylinder off the case. once seated back down I noticed a little oil had gotten on the base gasket and pushed out when I re seated the barrel. I am running cometic base gaskets and am wondering if the base gaskets are going to start leaking now once the motor is running. I cant really change it out without re honing the cyls so I'm hoping I can just run it as is. Anyone been through this??

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Clean and change the gaskets. Dont worry about ring seal. It's a myth they won't seal if you pull the cyls.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Normally any time you pull a head you need to pull the cylinders and replace all the gaskets, and run a hone and replace the rings, that's just the way it is. You might get lucky and not have any leaks, but is it really worth it to do all that work just to have to take it apart again.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Lift the cyl high enough to remove the clip and pull the pin. Leave the piston in the cyl. This way the rings won't be disturbed.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Depends on the build Ron. On some short skirt pistons, the oil ring wraps around the wrist pin bore.

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Depends on the build Ron. On some short skirt pistons, the oil ring wraps around the wrist pin bore.
BINGO! thats my problem. The oil ring has a ring land you install like a ring that goes aroung the bottom grove. For support at the the rist pin hole. I might have to try and pull the pistons. Then re install them and see what happens.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It will be fine. You don't have to worry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts