V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, I just took my 883 for a spin and she's pinging. I put a 1200 kit on her 10:1, along with cams and smoothed out the heads. Today was a test run and she's mean, but I noticed severe pinging at take off and some under load at at slower speed w/higher gears. I drained the tank a put super in her and played with the timing, she still does it. Can anyone tell me if I need to change the jets it has a 170/42 in it now, a friend gave me a 190 and 200 , if I need new jets can I use the 190 with a stock slow jet? Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok, I did some online reading , I know nothing about carbs, but i was wrong, I pulled the jets out and I have a 45 slow jet and a 160 main. My altitude is neutral. I believe from reding my slow jet is the problem. Also my friends jets are smaller, maybe from a aftermarket jet kit? Anyway the question still remains is it the main or the slow or both? Thanks Wango, we will figure it out..good thing I didn't hit it with the juice right of the bat huh........

·
Banned
55 Posts
Hope this helps

I have the S/E air cleaner with 1200 conversion and non restrictive pipes.

I live in memphis and the 45/175 works great.

2002 883/1200 with 10.0 to 1 stock heads.

Sounds like you are close.

look at the plug color also, sounds like you may need a little more jet

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My take off sound is massive detonation, wide open throttle feels good, my plugs looks light tan, but my experience tells me i have a bad detonation problem

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Give us more info on the work you did. Fact is you may have ended up with more than 10:1 . All it would take is a high deck and some tight 883 head castings. You also need to check for leaness with plug reading, Its verry possible you have a air leak and are way too lean so check that too. The last thing is iginiton. You may end up doing somthing there and if all elese is OK your only choice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
ping a ling

hello again, my money is on the cams....if it s n2 it will be trouble....do a compression test and see if it comes out at 185 lbs. rememebr to hold throttle wide open while you crank it over. If its the cams and its too late and you have no money to change them , then mods to the voes circuit must be done to keep the timing from advancing too quickly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Think your main jet should be at least 175 (go to 180 if airbox and muflers have been changed for performance ones).

Also have a look at www.sportster.org and make search in archieves for pinging. Tons of good advises and tips.

Hope it helps. Olivier

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Newhere, I just finished doing a similar rebuild. Hippo and Short Block Charlie did the heads, with a 9.6 : 1 CR, Wiseco pistons, SE bolt in cams, SE air filter, SE ignition,Cycle Shack Slip ons, reworked CV w/ Yost power tube. 180 main jet, 45 slow jet. Plugs are tan in color. I'm thinking the 10:1 CR has something to do with your pinging. Are you still running the stock ignition? Just curious.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes the ignition is stock and I have air cleaner/filter and pipes on it. It has bolt in se cams. I just tried to do a compression test but my tester plug size is too large.

I put a 180 main jet in, and noticed an air leak. I believe its either the intake or the front cylinder head gasket. I tried to determine with some brake clean, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. Looks like I will have to get another comp. tester. I'm guessing that my small jets ran lean and blew the head gasket, who knows. Off to the store again. Any more pointers? Thanks again people!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update, I couldn't find a compression tester that fits the small plug. I found my air leak at the round seal that seals the carb to the intake. The bike with 180/45 runs much better, but I still noticed"small"pinging at take off, I looked into adjusting the voes and found it to be my answer. After adjusting the VOES I was able to run more timing also. Thanks all, I had multiple problems and everyone was helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts