V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am new here, and also a new HD owner. I have a well worn '98 FLHP Road King that I am getting ready to put on the road. Yesterday I was cleaning it up a bit in advance of getting a state inspection. It was very dirty and looked like it had never been cleaned. It also seemed that it could have been a former Joey Chitwood stunt cycle from all the tell tale signs of a couple drops! All in all it is in pretty good condition and was running very well. Was running. After cleaning up the engine (basic polishing etc, no pressure sprays or solvents), I have lost the front cylinder. I did remove the front spark plug wire, however I put it back (and I double checked that it was on properly). Could it be that I have inadvertently re-routed the spark plug wire and it is shorting out somewhere? Could I have loosened something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There is a thread here called "one cylinder FLHT" by Rustler. Read it.

As a side comment the plug wires on these bikes become pretty suspect after a year or two (if they are OEM wires) so it couldn't hurt to change them anyway together with the plugs.
Check the basics, compression/leakdown, spark and fuel (intake gasket leak) and take it from there.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If the bike has been sitting for a long time it is quite likely that the fuel system is gummed up, in particular the carb guts and petcock screen or injectors if the bike is EFI.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
One of my HT leads came loose under the tank and shorted out onto the top of the cylinder head.
Lost the cylinder, same thing. Can't hurt to look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I removed the plugs and found them both to be slightly fouled. The fouling on the plugs just did not seem to be sufficient to cause the problem though. I cleaned them off, filled the tank with 93 octane gas, and viola! It runs much better but it is still not 100%. I will replace the plug wires and attempt to clean the carb out this weekend. Any carb cleaning suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Good looking bike. Ideally you would disassemble the carb totally and dip it in one of those carb cleaner buckets they sell at auto stores, you don't need the 5 gallon ones, they have little 1 gallon ones or smaller for 10 bucks or so. Make absolutely sure you remove all rubber and plastic components before dipping. If the diaphragms look tired might as well replace them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
only other thing I would add to Hippo's words is to blow out any and all orifices inthe carb body with compressed air before reassembling - the solvent may loosen some grunge and it could get caught in a bleed hole or whatever the heck they are called.

·
Registered
695 Posts
614MOBILE,
Sounds like HIPPO squared you away. I just wanted to say "good looking bike" and then ask you about your seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The seat is the original police air ride version that comes stock on the FLHP. There is an air bag under the seat that is connected to an air tank under the back "luggage rack" (actaully where the police radio box attaches). I think it is pretty neat. I haven't had it on a long trip yet to determine if it is as good as I am told it is. My wife wants me to install a seat for the both of us. Since I know she won't ride with me as much as she says she will, I haven't switched the seats yet. I picked up a very nice Road King Classic stock seat for $50. All I need is the mounting hardware. I will look into obtaining one of those kits that you described. I have a lot of stuff out here (on two old Honda ATV 3-wheelers and a '60 Chevy Belair) that could use a good cleaning as well.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I bet that is a comfortable seat. Isn't there a way to keep the seat and install something else so your wife can ride too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, there are back seats that would work with it, but after seeing a bike with this arrangement, and not being to pleased with the look, I decided that I would just go with the RK Classic seat. I am not worried about comfort that much as I am a long distance bicyclist and I do many 100 mile rides throughout the season. If my butt can handle that, any motorcycle seat is like a lounge chair! I am not experienced with a bike this big so it will be a very long time before I am comfortable enough to take my honey for a ride on it. I live out in the country and the roads are perfect for riding. For now, the police seat stays.

·
Registered
695 Posts
A 100 mile trip on a bicycle? Ouch!!! There's no padding at all in those seats. Buns of Steel. Yeah you're right if you could take that, any seat would be a luxury.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
614MOBILE said:
. For now, the police seat stays.
Ya ever sell it 'cheap' gimme a hallor. :D All that shippin an all...:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts