V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's Sunday, and my wife took the boys to see Ice Age 2. I get on the bike and go for a ride. Up PCH, to Malibu Canyon, over to Mulholland Drive, and then to the Rock Store. It's a a typical day at the Rock Store, wall to wall bikes, old ones, new ones, Japanese bikes, German Bikes, Italian Bikes, and home made bikes. During my visits there I have seen Jay, Arnold, Sylvester, Peter, and all the other celebs you see making news in the tabloids. I have seen accidents, fall downs, and CHiPs writing tickets. I have seen muscle cars, collector cars, and exotic cars. I've even seen Jays jet powered car and motorcycle.

Today I saw a street legal Formula 1 race car pull up. Here it is.

The driver pulled up wearing a full face helmet. I started laughing when I saw this. After he parked and climbed out, the crowd started gathering and asking questions. I said to the driver, "Hey buddy, did you get lost during the Long Beach Gran Prix or what"? Then I asked him, "Where does the kids car seat go, how big is the trunk, can I fit my golf clubs in it"?, followed by "What do you say to the valet guy at the restaurant"? "I should have asked him how well it does with parking lot speed bumps. He said it was "street legal", and that it got 14mpgs. He also said it made 450hp, which was a lot considering the thing weighs only 1,400lbs. You too could own one for just $95,000. I just shook my head and walked away.

Later I rode over to Neptunes Net out on the LA/Ventura border for some seafood. Wouldn't you know it, he showed up there as well.
Another day in LA!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Ya'll are cruel.

I think it's cool as hell and would love to own one. It'd be safer than a sport bike.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
How can anyone criticize anyone else for spending $95,000 on a street legal race car when you, others and me spend $15-20,000 on a motorcycle, which, all things being equal in the large sceme of things, is just as useless?

·
Registered
31 Posts
95 FXST said:
How can anyone criticize anyone else for spending $95,000 on a street legal race car when you, others and me spend $15-20,000 on a motorcycle, which, all things being equal in the large sceme of things, is just as useless?

I agree...some guy spends his hard working money on what HE WANTS and some one takes pics of it and then writes ****...surely there is something else better to do......

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
95 FXST said:
I feel so dirty, not! Presently, considering my tools, welding equipment, literature collection, motorcycles and other peripheral expenses and the extra building to house it all. I've got more than 75K wrapped up in my little hobbies. I say my hat's off to the fellow with the Gran Prix car. God bless him and all the others who do what they want while they can still move!

My 2 cents on that topic. Heh heh. :boxin:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think its pretty cool too, I'm sure its a real head turner wherever he goes.... I also was thinking, just before typing this, "boy, I bet the chicks love it". Only problem with that, is he can't pick any of them up for a ride.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
95 FXST said:
And that is exactly why he went to the Rock Store and Neptunes Net. That is where you will find people who have interests and money to support a veheicle like that. Those places are a magnet for Ferrari's and Lambos. For me, well I just never in my life expected to see someting like that pull up. An original Shelby Cobra, yes. A mint Bugatti Roadster, yes. A Formula 1 racing car, .....that caught me off guard.

As for being useless, well my Ultra has more storage space, a seat for a passanger, and a stereo, not to mention other comfort amenities. On my way home, I stopped off at the grocery store and picked up a steaks, salads and veggies for dinner. That guy in the F-1 has would have to set the shopping bag on his lap in the cockpit and drive home like that.

So while I have dumped an obscene amount of money into my bike, I know I can do more things with my Ultra than that F-1. In fact I'd rather ride my Ultra in the rain that that thing. Imagine all four of those wheels spewing up water.

As I always say whenever I see a bike I consider unattractive:
"As long as the owner is happy, that's all that matters".

·
Registered
454 Posts
Heck

Looks like fun to me! Guys on this site spend big buck building power into their engines so they, too, presumably break the speed laws from time to time. That said, for $95K and with 450hp, that's not really an F1 car is it? Regardless, I'm sure it goes like the devil.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Paniolo said:
So while I have dumped an obscene amount of money into my bike, I know I can do more things with my Ultra than that F-1. In fact I'd rather ride my Ultra in the rain that that thing. Imagine all four of those wheels spewing up water.

And yet, how pics of your Ultra did he take?

hehe, sorry, couldn't resist.

Surely, you aren't going to justify to us the Ultra as a "grocery gitter"?! We may be dumb, but that is hard sell, even to us dummies.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
fxdwg2005 said:
I think its pretty cool too, I'm sure its a real head turner wherever he goes.... I also was thinking, just before typing this, "boy, I bet the chicks love it". Only problem with that, is he can't pick any of them up for a ride.

I can think of one place for her to ride... Same way I fit 12 people in the cab of my pickup in highschool... four across, three high.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bot said:
And yet, how pics of your Ultra did he take?

hehe, sorry, couldn't resist.

Surely, you aren't going to justify to us the Ultra as a "grocery gitter"?! We may be dumb, but that is hard sell, even to us dummies.
He didn't take any pics of my bike. It was one of hundreds of Harleys out there. And with gas at $3.00 a gallon, I do find myself running a lot of errands on the bike. In Los Angeles, how can I not?

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
OrangeTJ said:
Looks like fun to me! Guys on this site spend big buck building power into their engines so they, too, presumably break the speed laws from time to time. That said, for $95K and with 450hp, that's not really an F1 car is it? Regardless, I'm sure it goes like the devil.

I always thought they pumped close to 800 hp. You know, 0-100 in under 4 seconds

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Paniolo said:
And that is exactly why he went to the Rock Store and Neptunes Net. That is where you will find people who have interests and money to support a veheicle like that. Those places are a magnet for Ferrari's and Lambos. For me, well I just never in my life expected to see someting like that pull up. An original Shelby Cobra, yes. A mint Bugatti Roadster, yes. A Formula 1 racing car, .....that caught me off guard.

As for being useless, well my Ultra has more storage space, a seat for a passanger, and a stereo, not to mention other comfort amenities. On my way home, I stopped off at the grocery store and picked up a steaks, salads and veggies for dinner. That guy in the F-1 has would have to set the shopping bag on his lap in the cockpit and drive home like that.

I know the Rock Store very well and the kind of vehicles seen there.
I doubt thge guy had a V-10 capable of 20,000 RPM's. Probably a Chevy crate motor. I would imagine it would cause quite a commotion on the 405.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
from how you described those spots to stop...it doesn't seem out of character (vehicles or people)

Personally , i'd rather find an out of the way diner or coffee shop

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
he's just another nut like all of us...more money than brains and wants a little exitement in his life...but something i've allways wondered is why anyone would wear a full face helmet on a bike or especially a car!!!:huh:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Y2K King said:
he's just another nut like all of us...more money than brains and wants a little exitement in his life...but something i've allways wondered is why anyone would wear a full face helmet on a bike or especially a car!!!:huh:
Uhhhh......safety?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Antonio Pendejo said:
I see stuff like this and I think "Whatta douchebag". Speed limit is still 65 on the SoCal freeways.
Just because the guy has a very unique, impractical, powerful and expensive car, how does that make him a "Whatta douchebag"?:huh:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts