V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around for an online mapping site that lets the user (me) pick which roads I want to travel, rather than show me the fastest/most senic/directest route available.

I know Harley's website has a ride planner, but it really doesn't let me pick which road I want to travel, only points that I can input to try to keep me on my intended path.

Does anyone know of such a website or mapping program where I can input my own routes and roads?

I have all the paper maps I need for my intended trips, I just like to have an online plan that shows mileage and maybe some interesting places to stop.

thanks
darrell

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well, I don't know where to look online, but I have a Garmin Quest GPS that does what it sounds like you are looking for.

You can plan your routes on your computer, and download them to the Quest...

It has like 5 million "points of interest" stored on the software, so you can pick hotels, parks, restaurants, ect for your trip. You can zoom in and out on your maps and use the mouse to click on the roads you want to travel, and it will give you the mileage between the points you select...

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Microsoft Streets and Trips - not onliine but readily available. Has helped us plan out many rides. Waiting to stop spending money on the bikes so we can buy a GPS that I can download routes into.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Harley Ride Planner lets you choose your roads. Once you pick your points you can modify the route. You have to be a certain zoom level. I think anything in Blue. Just have to add new flags on roads you want. Then recalculate route. Works well once technique is learned.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Yup....HD ride planner does it. Been modifying my rides through their planner tool since they started it on their site.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used H-D ride planner and the flags for trying to re-route my trip, but when the trip is all back roads and over 1000 miles, the 25 flags they give you to retrace the route end up getting used real quick.

Looks like I'll be getting a maps program to try and trace it all out.

So, with that said, does anyone have a preference for computer mapping programs? MS Trips seems like a good one, but has anyone had experience with any DeLorme programs? Their State paper (book) maps are just about the best I've found and wondered if their computer program is just as good.

Thanks for all the help,
darrell

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't use an online planner, but it looks like I should look at the Harley planner.

I use Road Atlas 2006 from DeLorme. It has all the planning features and points of interest you need. They have a series of associated products. There is a pocket PC version so you can download your trip to the pocket PC and they have an add-on GPS for a laptop or pocket PC.

One thing that would improve Road Atlas is if it had a feature to click on a road it did not choose and allow you to say, "use this road instead." What you must do is insert "via" points on the road you want to force the program to plan the trip via the road you want.

The program will show you points where you will need gas based on the size of your tank, mileage, and warning level. It will also show you overnight stops based on hours per day or miles per day.

I think the program is week in its reporting capabilities. You can print directions, but the list can get very long. I'd like to see some summaries, such as just showing gas and over-night stops.

I haven't used the planned trip on my laptop yet, but if you have a GPS attached it will show you where you are and talk to you about making turns.

Other than as a customer, I'm not associated with the company.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FXD-Tim said:
One thing that would improve Road Atlas is if it had a feature to click on a road it did not choose and allow you to say, "use this road instead." What you must do is insert "via" points on the road you want to force the program to plan the trip via the road you want.
That's just what I'm looking for. I know how to get to where i want to be, I just want mileage, maybe gas stops, and lodging would all be nice. But mainly I want to be able to see each turn and about what mileage I need to make it at.

Now that you say DeLorme doesn't allow this, or that it's not real convienent, I guess I'll keep on looking. Thanks for that info, Tim.

darrell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts