V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was picking up some parts at one of the local dealers today and the parts guy told me I could have ordered them from them online and saved 15%. He went on to say that the MoCo was banning online discounts from dealers in about 6 months.

Anybody hear this?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I was picking up some parts at one of the local dealers today and the parts guy told me I could have ordered them from them online and saved 15%. He went on to say that the MoCo was banning online discounts from dealers in about 6 months.

Anybody hear this?
Haven't heard this, but I'm curious why the MoCo would give a rat's ass about this when they don't give a rat's ass about how dealerships that are poorly operated piss everyone off. Doesn't really matter though since there's always ways around it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've heard rumors of this before. Always from dealers who refuse to match the price of the online dealer. I for one would really hate for there to be any truth to it. IMO, MSRP is exactly what it says Mfg SUGGESTED retail price. If you own a business and choose to work on a lower profit margin and rely on increased volume that comes with lower prices, who should have the right to tell you to stop doing business this way. I hope it's just an ugly rumor. I love getting my parts from Zanotti at a substantial savings over my local dealer.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
from M&M Cycles (mom and pop)

Dear friends.

Due to a new policy from Harley that prevents the sale of Genuine Harley Davidson parts to independent dealers, such as ourselves, we are no longer offering Genuine Harley items. All current orders will be shipped, but I cannot accept any new orders for genuine Harley items.

We will still be offering the finest in aftermarket parts at our usual discounts of up to 20% daily, shipping worldwide and will leave the Harley part numbers in our database for reference only. Please include model and year in all quote request and I will convert them to aftermarket parts for you wherever possible.

I know many of you will be upset, but please understand, Harley is doing what they think is best for their dealers and their company.

I also read somewhere, can't find the reference, HD Dealers will not be able to sell HD parts discount over the internet as of Jan.1.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You do realize what this all means don't you. More money, more money, more money. What's wrong with a little healthy competition? :spank:

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
anyone paying MSRP ain't doing their homework.
@gree:

I don't know how MOCO intends to prevent dealers from doing business in a manner that suits the dealer. I do know at the dealers meeting last year dealerships were told to stop advertising discounts on the web, but I know it didn't stop the discounts from taking place, they just were not advertised.

Usually when I have heard the rumor of discontinued discounts it is from a dealer that refuses to deal. Of course that dealer usually is wondering why his customers are going elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
20,903 Posts
The MC can only suggest the retail price. Any effort to enforce the price is restraint of trade. They get away with it on new scooter sales by rolling the who thing into the dealer level financing/floorplaning, but I doubt they can make that work for parts.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@gree:

Usually when I have heard the rumor of discontinued discounts it is from a dealer that refuses to deal. Of course that dealer usually is wondering why his customers are going elsewhere.
I agree. But this info came from a dealer who IS giving 15% off online orders. They even told me since I live in an adjoining state, I have the choice of having the parts shipped to me (for a fee) or I can pick them up in person but I'd have to pay sales tax.

My guess is the discounts will remain but they will be more word of mouth as somebody mentioned.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The MC can only suggest the retail price. Any effort to enforce the price is restraint of trade. They get away with it on new scooter sales by rolling the who thing into the dealer level financing/floorplaning, but I doubt they can make that work for parts.
Not certain this is correct. Many companies, Bose Acoustics being one example, set minimum prices for their products and restrict retailers from discounting unless prior authorization is approved.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I live in Texas and buy parts from Northern states, one to prevent from paying local sales tax and B they are much cheaper than my local stealership... Tri County Harley is a good example of a good place to buy parts and accessories.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Not certain this is correct. Many companies, Bose Acoustics being one example, set minimum prices for their products and restrict retailers from discounting unless prior authorization is approved.
The local dealer that I trade at keeps hinting that MC will find the "discounting" dealers and penalize them, of course this again is a dealer where the owner is vehemently opposed to giving anyone a discount. Funny thing is I have worked at companies where this dealer has traded and he always insists on a discount.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
I live in Texas and buy parts from Northern states, one to prevent from paying local sales tax and B they are much cheaper than my local stealership... Tri County Harley is a good example of a good place to buy parts and accessories.

Unfortunately, that is coming to and end soon enough.

The current law says you are supposed to make a copy of the receipt and send it in to your local government, along with the tax due if you had bought the item locally. Hardly anyone does.

I am sure that after the next election, no matter who wins, there will be new federal laws requiring taxes be paid online, at the time of purchase when shopping online.

·
Super Moderator
20,903 Posts
They can tie it to inventory financing, or they can make ROI part of you franchise agreement, but they can not tell you what to sell your property for, even if they made the property. I suspect that Bose probably makes you sign a price support agreement in return for discounting. And even that is illegal in some states.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Unfortunately, that is coming to and end soon enough.

The current law says you are supposed to make a copy of the receipt and send it in to your local government, along with the tax due if you had bought the item locally. Hardly anyone does.

I am sure that after the next election, no matter who wins, there will be new federal laws requiring taxes be paid online, at the time of purchase when shopping online.
So your saying that if I actually went to Ohio and bought something over there then drove back to Texas I would have to pay Texas sales tax?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
They can tie it to inventory financing, or they can make ROI part of you franchise agreement, but they can not tell you what to sell your property for, even if they made the property. I suspect that Bose probably makes you sign a price support agreement in return for discounting. And even that is illegal in some states.
Drag Specialties enforces minimum pricing, or at least did. There is a bike shop in CA that gets their product from Drag and sells to military through AAFES. I questioned them once as to why their discounted pricing through AAFES was sometimes higher than pricing from other online vendors and was told because Drag would not allow them to price lower. Something to do with volume I suspect.

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
Well, I live in Canada, and for MANY years I have been buying all my parts - mostly from Zanotti (Prices over here are almost double). I always have them delivered to a "Mail Centre" in Michigan, then pick them up when they arrive. I placed a $700 order with Zanotti last week. The next day, I was sent an e-mail advising me the HD MoCo has a "new policy", which came into effect August 1st. The Policy advises that any HD merchandise which may be delivered to a country other than the U.S., is prohibited, and the Dealer(s) will be financially penalized if caught doing so. My order was therfore cancelled by them. Although it was being mailed to a U.S. address, my Mastercard was attached to a Canadian address. I tried Paypal as well, but the same thing happenned. Kind of a bummer, as now I was "forced" to purchase only in Canada.

Well, I guess it pays to have a friend in Michigan. Now I simply get him to purchase it for me, then pick it up. I guess that "where there's a will, there's a way". Not sure why the MoCo is doing all these "policy" changes?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
So your saying that if I actually went to Ohio and bought something over there then drove back to Texas I would have to pay Texas sales tax?
With some states, technically yes depending on their taxing regulations. NY is like this since NY is big on confiscation of income. For the most part they don't care where you got it and if the tax rate where you bought it is lower than NY they want the difference. NY gets a tax chubbie anytime a new potential revenue stream is discovered.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
There is at least a few threads like this every year for a long time now. I just ordered some stuff from Hales HD at 20% off MSRP. I've been doing it for years. This is just another roomer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts