V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know, I made my first year today, the 14th. Looking back, it's been a busy year, got a lot done. Stuff that would've never been done had I stuck to drinking. Like painting the house exterior, finishing my '69 Firebird restoration, getting my '64 El Camino restoration underway full swing (again), etc. Seems like every time I'd try to do something, as soon as the beer was opened, the work ground to a halt fairly quickly. I've been reading a lot of the other threads, and I know everyone has their opinions, but I'm still doing it my way, and it's working. Went to the bar after work yesterday for a co-worker's birthday, and had a couple of iced teas. Left early, came home and did some work around the house. Go into work early for a big job, and one of the guys who was supposed to be there wasn't. Last I saw him, he was at the bar, puttin' down a shot glass. The guy that took his place slept 'til noon, luckily for him the job afforded him the time. Just watching these guys, how disfunctional they can be, despite the fact they hardly think it's bad thing, reaffirms why I don't need nor want to drink anymore. I enjoy a lot more time with my kids, and just maybe my daughters will forget all the year I spent with a beer in my hand. It's too late for my son, and I hope he doesn't feel he needs to follow in my footsteps when he comes of age.

BTW, here's a pic of my Firebird. ;) It's got a 462" Pontiac, th400 trans, 3.36:1 posi rear, and 4 wheel disc brakes. Fun car. The El Camino is getting a 468" BBC, Super T-10 4-speed, 9" Ford rear, and 4 wheel discs.

Enough about me. You guys keep up the good fight. {salute(

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Happy Birthday my friend, great looking ride too.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
VERY well said. Sounds like you have the right mind set for a life of sobriety. Always be on the watch though.
Look at what you have accomplished, I bet you have accomplished a lot more with family and friends than you even know.
It might not be to late for your Son.

Congratulations on one year.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Congratulations!!!! It's amazing how much time you have on your hands to spend elsewhere when you aren't worried about booze....That's a SWEET Firebird. My high school days were '68-'72......couldn't afford a real muscle car then and sure can't afford one now.. :)

I did have a sweet '65 Mustang, 289 HiPerformance, 3-speed, great exhaust. Convertible, dark green, GT wheels. Man, I would love to have another one. Of course it wouldn't keep up with the MOPARS or other big blocks but was sure fun...carrying the cheerleaders on Pep Rally Fridays before the football games (in their little short outfits.....lordy. lordy)

Sorry to carry on....aint it great to be clean & sober...and think about the really good stuff? :thumbsup:

(I'll hit my 60 day mark this coming Friday)

It will be 2 years before you know....but be sure and treat yourself to the finest meal you can find in town...and momma too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words, guys. :)

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Congratulations Cameano ...just keep doin' what you need to do to keep yer life in order...it don't matter in this life how you got what you now have...just that you keep it!!!

·
Sick Puppy
1,703 Posts
Congrats~!Awesome!

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
That great, congratulations Cameano!

Nice bird too, giddy up.

·
OWOF
1,077 Posts
Happy Birthday, brother! I look around at the woman I married, the house I am in, the bikes in the garage, etc., and know that none of it would be here if I had not gotten sober.

·
Registered
650 Posts
congrats!!! Like all things, remember, it's not the destination, it's the ride!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bluzmn59 said:
Happy Birthday, brother! I look around at the woman I married, the house I am in, the bikes in the garage, etc., and know that none of it would be here if I had not gotten sober.
Very well spoken. :thanks:

Funny thing is, the stuff I spoke about earlier, with the mostly functional drunks I work with, was addresses by a supervisor in a meeting yesterday morning. It was basically laid out that the green bottle flu will not be tolerated, and is no excuse for not showing up to work anymore. There are a select few who do this, and charge off sick leave to make their paycheck. They've been put on notice that the company is now monitoring sick leave, and will be addressing the abuses to the system on a case by case basis. :spank:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations Darren it was a year for me Aug 19 quit smoking the same time. I ride my 90 FXRS every chance I get because I'd rather die while im living then live while im dieing.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
steve#1 said:
Congratulations Darren it was a year for me Aug 19 quit smoking the same time. I ride my 90 FXRS every chance I get because I'd rather die while im living then live while im dieing.
Congrats to you too Steve!!! Ain't life good sober!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
steve#1 said:
Congrats on your double anniversary, Steve! :thumbsup: Feels good, don't it? :yes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts