V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in either vtwin or american iron mag that on the 2007 96 engines Harley would reprogram the engine so when the engine heat gets to hot it drops to firing on only the front cylinder and just draws air on the rear and if you didn't like it they would put it back to stock. They said its for urban driving,police, lots of ide time etc.

Why would someone not want that option right from the factory?. That way no matter where you go if its need its there, if not then it won't activate.

Am I missing something.

Thank you

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
?????????????

wildey said:
I read in either vtwin or american iron mag that on the 2007 96 engines Harley would reprogram the engine so when the engine heat gets to hot it drops to firing on only the front cylinder and just draws air on the rear and if you didn't like it they would put it back to stock. They said its for urban driving,police, lots of ide time etc.

Why would someone not want that option right from the factory?. That way no matter where you go if its need its there, if not then it won't activate.

Am I missing something.

Thank you
If it is a heat thing, a proper professional tune will knock it down dramatically.
In no way, shape, or form, would I even consider that type of set-up on any piece of equipment that I own. Not even my lawnmower.
That must be a real sweetheart climbing a hill, or when your passing another vehicle on a two lane, with oncoming traffic!! Holy crow, what else is next!!

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
I hear ya

I'd think so too. I know I would want it. I suppose some folks would not like the sound and vibration of it running on one cylinder when/if it wnet in to that mode. I'd think it was a sign that the motor was hot and protecting itself. Again, I'm with you gimme the technology.

As for hillside's comment. I wonder if a good tuner will be worth the money if you have a completely stock bike. :hmmm:

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Heat

jerry34208 said:
I'd think so too. I know I would want it. I suppose some folks would not like the sound and vibration of it running on one cylinder when/if it wnet in to that mode. I'd think it was a sign that the motor was hot and protecting itself. Again, I'm with you gimme the technology.

As for hillside's comment. I wonder if a good tuner will be worth the money if you have a completely stock bike. :hmmm:
In Fla, I'd contact Doc. He'll get it running very good.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
That must be a real sweetheart climbing a hill, or when your passing another vehicle on a two lane, with oncoming traffic!! Holy crow, what else is next!!

My understanding is that the heat management system does not kick in unless the bike is at an idle.

·
OLDBOY
784 Posts
Maxum96 said:
My understanding is that the heat management system does not kick in unless the bike is at an idle.
The heat management option does not kick in unless; the temp is at a predetermined level, the bike is at 0 mph, and either in Neutral or the clutch engaged. As soon as the clutch is released or the bike is moving the HM program resorts back to normal operation.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Heat

Greglal said:
The heat management option does not kick in unless; the temp is at a predetermined level, the bike is at 0 mph, and either in Neutral or the clutch engaged. As soon as the clutch is released or the bike is moving the HM program resorts back to normal operation.
That's a horse of a different color then. I stand corrected on that.
But one would still think, that the Moco in their all knowing wisdom, could come up with a better plan than that, in order to squeak through EPA and still have less heat issues, in the air-cooled engine environment. I see related problems on the horizon with it. Maybe wrong.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im sorry I didn't explain it as well at the other person here. It sounds like a good system for being stuck in traffic

Would this system work on the 2008 too

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had my Dealer install this down load on my 07 FLHTCU last month and it do`s work some! It will startle you the first time but you get used to it. The service Manager stated that I would be better off getting a dual exh or a 2 into 1 sys with the sert. I told him that if this is the way HD wants them to run then I will run it till it blows or melts! That is what the warranty is for. I will let them repair it each time some thing goes wrong due to heat and or improper tuning from the manufacturor! I will not pay more money to make this run the way I feel the Top of the Line Touring bike should run! Ed

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I forgot to ask. didn't the evos and other older engines do that too? Just seems like since there would be no combustion/ignition that a lot of heat would be eliminated and if it fires right back up soon as the throttle or the bike moves seems like it would be a good thing.

Im just wondering if anyone else has done it and whats their opinion also.

Thanks

·
Not FNG anymore
183 Posts
wildey said:
Oh I forgot to ask. didn't the evos and other older engines do that too? Just seems like since there would be no combustion/ignition that a lot of heat would be eliminated and if it fires right back up soon as the throttle or the bike moves seems like it would be a good thing.

Im just wondering if anyone else has done it and whats their opinion also.

Thanks
I had this option on my 07' Ultra. The problem is the front cyl tells the ECU when to shut off the rear cyl. By the time this happened the rear cyl was over 400 degrees. It come on when the front cyl is about 360 and with my rear cyl running 80 to 100 degrees hotter then the front you can see why I went to DTT FI system.

·
To Many Places, No Time
31 Posts
Stage 1, Syn Oil, and oil cooler is the best answer.

Spend the $600-$1000 and do it right.
On my 07 RK Classic the oil cooler was first, helped a lot but still running pretty hot. Went to Synthetic fluids next, more help, still hot.
The next was an SE A/C, Supertrapp SE slip ons and the HD stage 1 download. That did it.
The bike has run flawlessly ever since.
I also installed the IDS, another vast improvement.
The bike is as good as it gets now without dyno tuning and more mods, I'll leave it alone until the warranty runs out.~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that all makes sense. The last time I did a stage one with the download my bike ran like crap. Surging, poping ect, thats what made me do the sert.

So with the 08s (still waiting for it) will the SE slipons, AC and download still work and will it run without all the surging ect??

The last time I just got caught up in spending so much money, angry at my dealers for tons of problems and pulled the motor and replaced with a zippers and everything just kept getting worse.

This time I just want a good running bike. Buying from dealers downstate with a better reputation hoping all will go well.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
If it is a heat thing, a proper professional tune will knock it down dramatically.
In no way, shape, or form, would I even consider that type of set-up on any piece of equipment that I own. Not even my lawnmower.
Hillside,

I think you may have missed the way this works. At least as far as I (the uneducated) have read about this anti over heating feature is that the ECU shuts down the rear cylinder only at idle to aid in cooling. The moment you give it some juice both cylinders get busy. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Oh, BTW good advice on going to see Doc. It's all in his hands as we speak. As for me, I'm looking for a second job, ha ha.

·
Registered
203 Posts
jerry34208 said:
Hillside,

I think you may have missed the way this works. At least as far as I (the uneducated) have read about this anti over heating feature is that the ECU shuts down the rear cylinder only at idle to aid in cooling. The moment you give it some juice both cylinders get busy. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.
Sounds like a huge piece of crap to me. Anything that, on its own, disables half of my engine, reeks of engineering design defect. I really hope all this is just internet myth. I sure don't want to have anything to do with it on my '08 Ultra Classic. I don't see any need for it.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
racklefratz said:
Sounds like a huge piece of crap to me. Anything that, on its own, disables half of my engine, reeks of engineering design defect. I really hope all this is just internet myth. I sure don't want to have anything to do with it on my '08 Ultra Classic. I don't see any need for it.
Well I got my 08 Ultra and its not a myth. It even states that option in your owners manual.

I decided not to have that option enabled. Instead I am going to take my Hog to Otto and have it tuned by him.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Question. If you have a stock bike tuned but no other goodies added do you get much or any more power or should the objective in that case be to get a better running engine?
(just curious, mine is not stock)

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jerry34208 said:
Question. If you have a stock bike tuned but no other goodies added do you get much or any more power or should the objective in that case be to get a better running engine?
(just curious, mine is not stock)
Well the benefits are the same, stock or modified. I will get more power, maybe only 5-10 hp and torque. But I will get a much better running engine which will also run a lot cooler as it won't be running so lean, which will also give more longer life to my motor

So its well worth it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts