V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the trinkets that H-D makes and lists in their now 1 inch thick "wish book", there is one missing!!!

The most useful but simple would a small stainless steel (or chromed steel) plate that can be added and used to place the state inspection sticker on. I've always hated having to stick it to the front fork.

Guess I'll just have to go and invent it myself.

Hey MoCo... you listening???

:p :D :p

·
Registered
906 Posts
Actually there are several options out there for this type of thing.

Months ago there was a link here that pointed to the site where you could purchase it.

The plate is also useful for military members, so you don't have to stick the DOD stickers on the forks themselvs. You just put them on the plate, and the plate is easily installed.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
They are sold by lots of aftermarket suppliers, Drag Specialities, Custom Chrome, J&P Cycles, etc. Just look.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....or you can do as I have done......make your own. With some of the newer flexible plastics or with a small piece of sheet metal you can custom make your own. I don't leave mind on unless I'm headed on base (Ret), but the metal can be plated for semi-permenant mount.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Cut you one out of an old street sign. Easy to do with jig saw. The signs are aluminum, so you can polish it up to look about as good as chrome.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I got mine from an independent shop for about $4.00. It's not technically legal where it's mounted, but I've never had any problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In PA, is is illegal to have a "removable" plate for inspection stickers. I have never heard of anyone getting busted for this, and see a lot of customs with one. Why give 'em a reason....

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for all the replies. I do a lot of fab / machine work myself such to invent and make one is pretty much a "no-brainer". My initial point in bringing this whole thing up was a sarcastic one to H-D in that they seem to have "missed the boat" on yet another easy way they could charge another hundred dollars for whole alotta nothing. Oh well.

Most states have laws that require stickers to be on a permanent part of the vehicle but I haven't had any problem with doing pretty much the same thing on my semi. It's all in the persception... ya gotta remember (& keep in mind) that everything is eventually bolted to everything.

;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I got my plate at the local dealer ... Lot of the shops here have them .. think it was like 10 bucks for a chrome one ...

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Mass inspections stickers are on the license plate. Pretty fucken ingenious, huh?:D

·
Registered
985 Posts
what inspection sticker? where? why?

·
Registered
575 Posts
fourhour said:
Mass inspections stickers are on the license plate. Pretty fucken ingenious, huh?:D
I was wondering about that just the other day.... stick it on the license plate... and cars too... why not...

·
Registered
875 Posts
Here in mississippi we keep em in our wallet

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Misguided said:

Thats cool.

Is that just for motorcycles?

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's interesting, so they can pull you over just to check your inspection? I think ours has to be visible...

I don't need another thing to keep in the wallet... :D

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Misguided said:
Back in the days when the sticker was the same style as that of a car, we used to keep them inside our helmets. I know, What's a helmet?:D Some of you folks got it made!:mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts