V-Twin Forum banner

Once again...engine "air note" or "chirping" noise

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  brwk 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this up once again since a few of you out there heard the same thing. No answers yet and the "chirping" sound is still there. I was told that the sound I was hearing was an "air" note sound. Ok, that's nice but I still want louder pipes than the Touring slipons and when I put anything on that's free-flowing...you REALLY hear the chirping (air note). 02 FLHTCUI, 8,900 miles.
Any answers out there??? Any body else hear this noise???
Thanks,
Brian

#3 ·
I had a chirping noise on my 2000 road glide that was becoming quite agravating. It turned out to be the rubber muffler supports under the saddle bags. You can try spraying silicone lubricant on them and see if the chirping stops, if it does replace them. I hope this is what your hearing as it is an easy and inexpensive fix, good luck.

thealien

#4 ·
Brian:

The term "air note" is a new one on me. I've been around a long time and never heard that term. Now chirping, I can understand.

When and under what conditions do you hear this sound?

Are you saying when you install louder mufflers, the sound gets louder?

The chirping sound most people hear happens when de-accelerating and is a result of a loose rear belt.

#5 ·
Just to give you a little support Bryan I have a 02 FLHT that makes that same sound just in the lower rpm range under light throttle.
I have yet to determine whats making that"churping"but I do know it's coming out the exaust. (VH slip ons)

The only "air note" I ever heard came from me,and I blamed that on my dog.:D Sorry I had to throw that in there for ED Y :p

#6 ·
For crying out loud Brian, your bike must have caught it from mine in Sturgis! LOL

I've been to two dealers and haven't had the satisfaction of them being able to hear it although it's completely annoying to me.

Straydog - it's not the front brake, I already tried that.

thealein, I'm gonna give that a try in the AM, I'll post the results.

SIN, my "chirping" is happening at the same time as yours, light throttle all gears between 2000 and 3000 rpm, more pronounced before the engine is warmed up.

Too many of us are experiencing this noise or "chirping" or "chain in a dog dish (I like that one!) for there not to be something going on across the board.

Cold Rider

#8 ·
I have 9,900 miles on my 02 FLHRCI (scream'n eagle exhuast and air kit). I have the chirping sound too which has only been around for the last few thousand miles. I also have the dog chain swirling around in a dish sound which has been around so long I can't remember when it started. At one point around 5,000 miles ago, I had a loud chirping sound that came from my rear rubber exhuast mounts, but that went away. It must have fixed itself. I lso had some noise from the front brake shoes for a while, but that went away. This new chirping sound sounds more like it's coming from the front of the bike like a squeaky wheel. Next week is my 10,000 mile service in which the dealer will charge $302 plus tax. Since they are suppose to go thru the whole bike and spend 4.5 hours labor to tighten everything, lube everything, and even do the steering head bearings, I will let you know if any these of these annoying sounds are gone afterwards. If I take the windshield off i don't hear anything but the wind and my exhaust notes---kind of hard to do on an FLHT though. I would not worry about these sounds too much as long as the regular scheduled maintenance is performed. I would not have gotten the Scream'n Eagle exhaust if I had a chance to hear it ahead of time. It's not quite loud enough to drown out all these little noises.

I test rode a brand new Indian chief with the new 100 cu inch motor earlier this summer. It squeaked and chirped a whole lot more and it was brand new.

#9 ·
Thanks for all of your replies.
Definitly the noise is coming from the engine and out through the exhaust. I also had the V&H slipons and took them off due to the chirping noise was too loud and put the Touring muffs on (non-free flowing muffs which muffle the chirping noise). Up to 2000-2500 rpms it is annoying and mine is the same, when it warms up, the noise is less. I was told by my shop that all FLHxxxxs do it and the FLHTCUIs are the worse due to the upper and lower fairings just love to bounce the noise up to your ears. Someone once told me that it was the new umbrella valves????? I bet if I put on SE heads that the noise would go away. Hey CR...could you loan me the cash???
Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.