V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FEAR.the killer of dreams
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 RK with 43K and I recently noticed the date codes on my front and rear tires. Although they both have very decent tread depth, they were manufactured in 2001 (rear) and 2003 (front). Either the previous owner didn't ride much in the last few years (which I doubt) OR he bought some tires that sat in storage for a while. My questions is should I replace the tires because of their age or are they just fine safety wise?

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Inspect the tires for sidwall crackes. If there are any replace the tires. If there are none ride on them untill they are worn out.

·
Infrequent Poster
1,662 Posts
Or do like Bert Munro did when trying to get his bike past tech inspection in the movie "The World's fastest Indian". Apply a nice layer of shoe polish to cover up the small cracks and make them look new.

Seriously though, probably best to put on some new shoes since you have to do battle with cagers etc. and need all the advantages you can get!

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input... HD told me to replace them as soon as he noticed the raised white letters indicating older manufactured tires - even though they looked nearly new. Go figure, right?
I had Metzlers on my Vmax and might go with those on my bagger but am still reading the debates on that topic...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
DenverRK said:
Thanks for the input... HD told me to replace them as soon as he noticed the raised white letters indicating older manufactured tires - even though they looked nearly new. Go figure, right?
I had Metzlers on my Vmax and might go with those on my bagger but am still reading the debates on that topic...
Lots of folks have had positive experiences with Metzlers. :yes:

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I think I posted in another thread today how much I love my new Metzeler 880s. Great handling and grip. I obviously don't yet have a clue about how long the tread will last. If the life isn't quite what Dunlops are, that's okay...an excellent trade-off if there is reduced tread life. I'd put 'em on again in a second....wish I'd done it sooner.

T113

·
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice... Thanks!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
trooper113 said:
I think I posted in another thread today how much I love my new Metzeler 880s. Great handling and grip. I obviously don't yet have a clue about how long the tread will last. If the life isn't quite what Dunlops are, that's okay...an excellent trade-off if there is reduced tread life. I'd put 'em on again in a second....wish I'd done it sooner.

T113
They last as long or longer if you give them enough air.
They like a little more air pressure than the Dungflops.
I love the Metz on my EG. ~!Awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts