V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to 88b twin cam i loved my evo 80 inch it was so fast and reliable i had it for 15 years and bought new i beat the death out of it for 15 years and when i sold it it ran just same way as i bought it with absolutely no problems!!!!!!! i just bought a 20 year old night train with 88b 2002 twin cam thinking ...no need for homework as i have still a 1963 xlch 900 that has never been rebuilt and still rides wheelies with a little smoke in between shifts.(leaded valve guides) cannot handle unleaded fuel no lubrication without brain damiging lead.
with that said i ride harleys very hard and wide open most of the time.
i made a mistake and bought a 2002 twin cam 88b softail= sorry freight train or if you wish night train it looked cool and with no research???? but a HARLEY DAVIDSON i was comfortable and did never need research.
you buy throw drag pipes on it and go beat the hell out of it(RIGHT) .....wrong this twin cam is no EVO.
luckily i did get a 2002 witch has timken leftside bearing but i did do a whole S&S cam tray S&S 510g (GEAR DRIVE) for bullet proofing.
i thought i was good and i have been snoting on it know for 1500 miles.
i will add this i had vance and hines big shots early version from 2004 and with new 510g cams there was no new hp or torque
added after higher lift cams....... what all young hd people think is cool.
what another mistake.......and it seems the whole world is running this crap...vance and hines makes great *** bike headers but after this they cannot make dual pipes for a HARLEY that work if you are a yuppie there great LOLOLOLO fake bikers or just to rich and stupid.(thats right i said yuppies are stupid and rich with no fricken clue about Harleys.
so back to what harley davidson has done for the yuppies it is called mass production.....why HD did this was GREEDY for the new fake bikers when i bought my 91 softail that was the last time you could just buy off showroom floor........after that harley made you wait a year then 3 years witch really started a problem.
thats when you had non motorcyclists ordering a harley for dealer price and when 3 years was up they took the bike and sold it for sometimes tripple the price to yuppies.
know it is even worse harley is mass producing and it started with the SWILL CAM (twin cam) 88 and even though it has 8 more inches it is slower than an 80 inch evo. 88b twin even slower as harley ruined the HD VIBRATOR and turned it into a *** bike with smoothness on all FXST models (softails) with the 88B twin cam i own one and i hate that all the milwaukee vibration is gone i can actually see in my review mirrors now BIG DEAL HAHA WHAT A JOKE only yuppies care what is going on behind them.
OK now i am really sorry to all you well off get rich quick R U B, S (RICH URBAN YUPPIES).
so in short the twin cam needs gear drive cams S&S crank and timkin bearings iam not going to waste time on where you need this as if you read this far you allready know!!!. if you dont sell your harley twin cam now.
from 2000 to 2002 twin cams had hot steel forged cranks (this is good and more costly) so in short a 2002 twin cam crank is bullet proof with the left side timkin bearings.
so from 1999 to 2002 crank shafts were good but you still need to spend 2000.00 on S&S cam tray kit......ps if you want to do a big bore do not get 510g cams they are only good for stock bore or up to a 9.7 to 1 compression ratio.
i say this because once you do cam tray full install your stuck with cams that will not let you go with a big bore kit larger than 97 inches.
i just want to say sorry to all you young HD LOVERS i do not mean to use the word yuppie but i use this word instead of new bee.
ps any harley made after 2002 is EPA REGULATED for engine noise this is a pure harley lie engine parts are not nosie my engine has all gear drive know and there is no difference.
THIS BY NO MEANS IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE TWIN CAM OR MILWAUKEE 8.
I CANNOT EXSPRESS THE HOME WORK YOU NEED TO DO BEFORE YOU BUY A HARLEY IF YOU DONT AND RIDE IT HARD IT MAY BLOW UP OR IT MIGHT NOT THAT IS SCARY WHEN YOU SPEND THIS MUCH MONEY.
p.s some go just after you buy them very rare.
P.S some go after 30.000.
ps some go forever.
all in all mass production and assembly cost cut at harley davidson has ruined this company.
they will be gone someday.
thank god as willie g would roll in his grave.
if you want a cool harley and want respect buy a shovelhead.
let me say this is a very old problem from 1999 to 2006. after this not much has changed still to this day cams are chain driven and crank shafts are quickliy made and are weak.
but if you do your home work first you can have a bullet proof harley with work after you buy it......first and for
most gear driven cams after all harley used gear drive since the 50's until 1999 evo.
just want to say i do not mean to offend anyone iam just really pissed that a piece of american history has been turned into someting you should buy at walmart.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Nice lookin' dogs.
Having a little trouble deciphering your complaint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
simply put iam worried i will soon spin my crank i ride this bike very hard as with all my harleys in the past i did not research the twin cam but on a good note s&s full cam chest kit 510g installed just worried about crank now iam sure i will blow it up soon but i hope not it is a 2002 and should have timkin on left side but how cam
n find out for sure i rev very high while riding i just love the sound ps i do run straight pipes still the bike flys

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your motor is stock with just cams, You won't have enough power to spin the crank. My builder welds the cranks. But not till over 120 HP. If you want power, buy a welded stroker crank and go 124ci. As far as an 80 inch evo being faster than an 88 inch twin cam. Not normal if both are stock.

·
Super Moderator
21,606 Posts
If your motor is stock with just cams, You won't have enough power to spin the crank. My builder welds the cranks. But not till over 120 HP. If you want power, buy a welded stroker crank and go 124ci. As far as an 80 inch evo being faster than an 88 inch twin cam. Not normal if both are stock.

So then why do cranks in stock motors scissor?

Its not about power, its about the purchase of the pin in the wheel. And many are not tight enough. There is also the issue of some wheels being softer than the spec because of the process used to harden them. A soft wheel will loosen on the pin just from heat cycling.

The best money you can spend on a twin cam is a crank upgrade. And welding the pin is just a band aid. The materials used are substandard. At minimum the pin has to be replaced. And at what that whole deal costs, you might as well upgrade to a quality aftermarket crank and rod set.

·
Registered
17,688 Posts
Having a little trouble deciphering your complaint.
I gave up about halfway through after developing a headache.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts