V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For reference I own an early '84 Softail. Haven't ridden it in years and now I'm going to spend some time and maybe some dollars getting it road worthy again.

There's some issues that aren't technical but are something I want to talk about.

Yesterday I tried to kick it over and it wouldn't budge. That got me worried that since it lives out in the weather it froze the engine. The engine was nearly new when the last time I rode it, it had a fresh bottom up rebuild with all sorts of new go better parts. But I had nothing but troubles with the new electronic single fire ignition. Then life got in the way and here we are.

Now I'm semi retired and getting interested in it again. So back to the lockup issue...

I knew (or hoped I knew) what it was. But just to be sure I pulled the plugs the squirted some Deep Creep into both cylinders and waited for a while. I tried standing on the kicker again and no movement. Not good.

I stood a little heavier on the kicker, like with my full 330lbs and nothing. The I started bouncing and I felt it give a little...it was what thought it was after all. It wasn't froze it was hydraulic locked from oil seeping into the breather compartment. About a half revolution, and a half a quart of oil puked out the breather and it spun like it had ice on the cylinder walls. I was relieved.

Next up...take the S&S B off and clean it up good and get a new throttle shaft in it. I don't think my drill press is accurate enough so the machine shop in our little small town will likely be the first folks I call on to do that. I'll let them do the bore and fit the shaft to the bushings. I don't have the technology in my shop to do those things.

I'm not quick at getting to anything so don't expect a lot more on this very soon. It's getting cold out up here in Iowa and I work outside in the dirt. Kinda thinking on buying one of those potable garages to put it in for a place out of the wind anyway. I bought one a few years ago and it barely lasted a year, but the frame is still standing. A good new cover for it is right at $1000. Not sure I want to spring for that since it's likely a waste of more money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like you have a good start on it.

I lived up in northern Illinois for a while and winter set me back too. I like it where the warm breeze blows a whole lot better.

I'll ride along on this one to hear the responses on your portable garage. I've thought about it myself but everything that I hear is consistent with your experience. The covering doesn't last. Maybe blue tarp the old framework.

I know working on things out in the driveway is old , real old. When I do finally get down on the ground it takes a gin pole to.get me back up on my feet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have a good start on it.

I lived up in northern Illinois for a while and winter set me back too. I like it where the warm breeze blows a whole lot better.

I'll ride along on this one to hear the responses on your portable garage. I've thought about it myself but everything that I hear is consistent with your experience. The covering doesn't last. Maybe blue tarp the old framework.

I know working on things out in the driveway is old , real old. When I do finally get down on the ground it takes a gin pole to.get me back up on my feet.
I need one of those gin poles too to get me back up from the ground.

There's one major problem with re-tarping the frame I have now; it was originally intended to hold hay and as such it's out in the middle of the paddock on a concrete slab that was the floor of an old drive through corn crib. I anchored it down with SS wedge anchors, two in each leg shoe. So the problem would be moving it. And anchoring it down to dirt. It took me and two teenage boys all day to put the frame together and get the cover over it...maybe it would have only taken me a few hours by myself but they were fun to watch screwing everything they touched up. Hopefully they learned some lessons about not knowing everything.

Anyway - it's a 13'x20' frame which would be ideal for working on the bike and my lawn tractor.

FWIW It's a Shelterlogic garage-in-a-box. The standard replacement cover is about $380 delivered but that's the quality that didn't make it quite one year before. The next step up has a 10 year warranty and costs about $1000. That's just shy of twice the cost of a new garage with the original weight cover. It's just obviously a waste of money no matter how it's looked at.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just spitballin here but if apprearance isnt a strong consideration, a take off box from a truck makes a decent storage-workshop. You can find them pretty cheap off of wrecked or worn out trucks. Most of them are about 8 ft wide up to 24 ft long and have a roll up door and a wood floor.
It will definately get you out of the weather.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you'd ever see the literal dump I live in? An old box like that would be an improvement around here....Good idea...

I would guess they aren't too inexpensive but looking doesn't cost much..(y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Or maybe a C-can. One of those ocean going shipping containers. Delivery to a rural location might be more than the container though.

I know I'd sure like to have one. I'd put it right between my house and the neighbors. That way I couldn't hear their gripes about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good idea! This is one of those head bang against a wall moments...why didn't I think of that? We used semi trailers for storage at the construction company I worked at...but it never occurred to me that I could use them here...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or maybe a C-can. One of those ocean going shipping containers. Delivery to a rural location might be more than the container though.

I know I'd sure like to have one. I'd put it right between my house and the neighbors. That way I couldn't hear their gripes about it.
That is why I love not having neighbors! I've lived on this acreage since mid 1988 and I only know two of my neighbors within a mile of me (out of 11). That works for me! My closest neighbor, just over a quarter mile away can't be seen anyway. I've met him a few times but never his wife.

·
Premium Member
1947 FL 1972 XLCH 1989 FLST
55 Posts
It occurs to me that you live in an area where they do ice-fishing, are not the houses moved around on skids and some are quite large with two doors, one you walk in with the beer another to crawl out of. Could only guess at the cost, best price maybe during the thaw.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not so much around here. That would be up in Minniesoota. The ice fishing around these parts is iffy for a built unit...mostly tents around here.

I did however consider one of those tents. They have them with some insulation it appears. The problem is finding one with a large enough door and plenty of room inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need one of those gin poles too to get me back up from the ground.

There's one major problem with re-tarping the frame I have now; it was originally intended to hold hay and as such it's out in the middle of the paddock on a concrete slab that was the floor of an old drive through corn crib. I anchored it down with SS wedge anchors, two in each leg shoe. So the problem would be moving it. And anchoring it down to dirt. It took me and two teenage boys all day to put the frame together and get the cover over it...maybe it would have only taken me a few hours by myself but they were fun to watch screwing everything they touched up. Hopefully they learned some lessons about not knowing everything.

Anyway - it's a 13'x20' frame which would be ideal for working on the bike and my lawn tractor.

FWIW It's a Shelterlogic garage-in-a-box. The standard replacement cover is about $380 delivered but that's the quality that didn't make it quite one year before. The next step up has a 10 year warranty and costs about $1000. That's just shy of twice the cost of a new garage with the original weight cover. It's just obviously a waste of money no matter how it's looked at.
I have a Speedway Shelter for my ‘96 FatBoy. It’s been through three NJ winters including nor’easters. I have the touring model for a little extra space. Definitely recommend if you don’t have a garage. Around $500. PS - I now have a plywood platform under the rubber mat.
Plant Plant community Tarpaulin Tent Window
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
For reference I own an early '84 Softail. Haven't ridden it in years and now I'm going to spend some time and maybe some dollars getting it road worthy again.

There's some issues that aren't technical but are something I want to talk about.

Yesterday I tried to kick it over and it wouldn't budge. That got me worried that since it lives out in the weather it froze the engine. The engine was nearly new when the last time I rode it, it had a fresh bottom up rebuild with all sorts of new go better parts. But I had nothing but troubles with the new electronic single fire ignition. Then life got in the way and here we are.

Now I'm semi retired and getting interested in it again. So back to the lockup issue...

I knew (or hoped I knew) what it was. But just to be sure I pulled the plugs the squirted some Deep Creep into both cylinders and waited for a while. I tried standing on the kicker again and no movement. Not good.

I stood a little heavier on the kicker, like with my full 330lbs and nothing. The I started bouncing and I felt it give a little...it was what thought it was after all. It wasn't froze it was hydraulic locked from oil seeping into the breather compartment. About a half revolution, and a half a quart of oil puked out the breather and it spun like it had ice on the cylinder walls. I was relieved.

Next up...take the S&S B off and clean it up good and get a new throttle shaft in it. I don't think my drill press is accurate enough so the machine shop in our little small town will likely be the first folks I call on to do that. I'll let them do the bore and fit the shaft to the bushings. I don't have the technology in my shop to do those things.

I'm not quick at getting to anything so don't expect a lot more on this very soon. It's getting cold out up here in Iowa and I work outside in the dirt. Kinda thinking on buying one of those potable garages to put it in for a place out of the wind anyway. I bought one a few years ago and it barely lasted a year, but the frame is still standing. A good new cover for it is right at $1000. Not sure I want to spring for that since it's likely a waste of more money.
If your bike has been sitting for years, you had better drain the old gas out of it and replace with new before attempting to start, otherwise you are just asking for problems. Old gas turns into varnish which can cause problems with your fuel delivery system. I imagine it also changes the octane level.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a Speedway Shelter for my ‘96 FatBoy. It’s been through three NJ winters including nor’easters. I have the touring model for a little extra space. Definitely recommend if you don’t have a garage. Around $500. PS - I now have a plywood platform under the rubber mat. View attachment 271425 View attachment 271426
I've never seen something like that. Pretty cool!

The rubber floor is imperative. I do some 1840's fur trade era reenacting and I have a sheet of roofing rubber as a floor in my canvas lodge (wall tent). That along with the wood stove makes it very comfortable living.

I could use that canvas tent for the bike shelter because it's a 12'x14'. But reality says that I use that tent for camping in so it wouldn't be feasible. Of course, it's only about a thousand dollars and canvas will last for decades if it's allowed to dry thoroughly after it gets wet. And 12'x14' would be adequate for the bike and be able to work on it...

Until right now I haven't even thought of that seriously. The gears are starting to heat up....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts