V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this once before, but I'm days from taking delivery. Haven't in 20 years - last bike I rode was on a 70 something Yamaha 350. Rode dirt, rode nothing bigger than 500cc.

Wanted a Harley & fell in lust with the Vrod. BUT.. it is a lot of HP, more than I have ever ridden. My plan is to take it easy - backroads, practice in the parking lot, etc. Get to know the bikes abilities & knock the rust off at the same.

My question is should I consider something else (like a Duece, Night Train) or follow thru with the Vrod?

·
Registered
335 Posts
i know its easier said then done but nothing says you need to open it up. ride easy and within your abilities on any given day. take a safety course, be careful, have fun and enjoy your ride.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Take the VROD, you have ordered it and waited this long for it. Definately take the MSF course. You will feel ALOT better about yourself and your new toy.

Hell, you only live once!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
dcinpa,

my riding back ground was much like yours, dirtbikes along time ago.

I took the MSF course in April and got my RK in May.

You plan is good, just go slow, take your time and be overly cautious with traffic (especially intersections) for awhile.

Good luck, you can do it. Remember to have FUN!

Regards,

wyodude

·
Registered
544 Posts
I in about the same boat you are, I was out of biking for about 12 years. The last time I rode I rode a 900cc, a little larger but still a long time ago. Can't say it too much take the basic rider training course it's a real good course and will help you relax a bit.

I’d still recommend going trough with the V-Rod it a very well mannered bike. But don't think it's slow, it has a progressive throttle, meaning at less throttle it very well behaved but open her up and she halls butt and is documented 11.3 in the quarter mile. Just take it easy, I ride mine very easily but I know it's there when and if I want it.

Enjoy, the only thing that bothered me but I am getting used to it now is due to the V-Rod not weighing a lot the front wheel being solid does get push around by big trucks and strong gusts of wind. That is the only thing I have noticed.

It good to respect your bike regardless of what ever one you get you still need to get used to it again. Just take it easy and enjoy riding again it’s just as much if not more fun as you remember.

Dave

·
Registered
906 Posts
Go with the V-Rod, like alot of cruisers you sit in a relaxed position so it's easy to just kick back and enjoy the ride, and if you wanna shred some asphalt, that's an option as well! It's light, sits low, and is a technological triumph.
If you are like a lot of us V-Rod owners you will find yourself going out to the garage a few times a day to try and convince yourself you really own one! :)

Go have a gander at the VRSCA forum, there are some great people in there and all willing to help!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
As almost everyone else is saying, Go with the V-Rod, pratice in the parking lots (something all new bike owners should do, no matter how long they have been riding since all bikes handle alittle differently) and don't dig into those extra ponies till you are ready :eek:

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
When I went to buy bike back in 2002, I was talking to sales guy about a 1200 because I hadn't ridden in almost 20 years. He said principles of riding 1200 & bigger bikes are same, just different weights. Tried to talk me into a Road King but I went with Dyna(which I traded for RK in 4 months).

So go for your V-Rod and take your time.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Vrod crash bars

Quicksilver,

You are dead on about the crash bars. 2 weeks ago my shiny new Vrod was delivered on a bright, sunny Saturday afternoon. After sitting on it in the garage about 50 times, I plan to take it to a parking lot which is about 1/4 mile from my house the next morning at 6:00 a.m. Well, after not sleeping the entire night, I down a mug of coffee and set out on my "first date" with my hot, sexy, baby! After stalling 23 times trying to get out of 1st, I finally get into gear and get rolling, the juices are flowing, wind in my face, truck up my butt, but hey, I'm doin it. Get to the parking lot, and proceed to practice, practice, practice. I'm having a blast, cause it feels oh-so good. I'm able to get to second base, I mean 2nd gear, and the fun really starts... I'm turnin, braking, shifitn' all the things the MSA manual says to do. Hey, I'm the bad @#s king of the parking lot, and then - kaboom -- I downshift from 2nd to 1st a little too fast and before I know it - the king is sliding at 15 mph with his baby on top of him!!! I hit the ground and all impact goes to my shoulder(lotta fun). My elbow now has a 3 inch round patch of skin missing and I struggle to free my ankle from underneath her . Man, if she had enough -- she should of just told me she was tired!!! . I call my wife who comes to save me from this nasty girl. Translation, she helps me lift the bike up off the ground!! Anyway, the weight of the bike bends the left foot peg and frame piece that it is attached to. Now I am in real pain, I hurt my baby!! The dealer picks it up and recommends the crash bar - if I would of had it, I'd of not hurt my baby, or my wallet - the damage cost $450.00! Anyway, that was my "first time". Yes, I forgot to mention, before this I had never rode any bike before, I was a virgin - but not anymore!

MakoS

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
MakoS,

Well at least it happened while you were practicing and not out on the open road with other cars. Hope you heal up and get back on that scooter....remember there are two kinds of bikers: Those that have been down, and those who have yet to go down.

dp

·
Registered
15 Posts
dprice,

Thanks -

Ankle still screwed up a little, but the bike is ready today and I'll be on it this weekend!!. I actually rode it home that day - it was real exciting shifting with a bent shifter!! But you are right, - it could of been a lot worse. Hey, I don't think I'll make that mistake again real soon!!!

MakoS

·
Registered
18 Posts
dcinpa, I just got my V Rod, 4 days ago, and after a shaky beginning, I finally am riding it around town, and I love it!! I cannot stay off of it!! I went out three different times last night, for 70 mile trips, totalling 210 miles!! I rest for a while, and back I go again. So Smooth!! I haven't ridden since 1985, and I took a mini Safety course, and rode around the neighborhood until I got comfy with starting off in first gear from a stop. What sucked is everyone in my family wanted a ride on the back, regardless of how shitty I drove!! Not a very smart family!!:)
I love this bike, and knew I would from the get go. GET ONE, you will love it!! I am at 308 miles so far, still breaking her in gently, started with 23 miles....will get the rest today...........Good luck!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
dcinpa, Same deal for me, no riding since the 60's, and I was only a Passenger! I got into it in 2000 with a Honda Rebel (400 miles) then moved up to a Yamaha V Star (2000 miles) and now have the '03 VRod which I LOVE. I'm 55 years old and a WOMAN!!! The VRod is well behaved but ready to rock. The Safety Course helps with the confidence big time. GO FOR IT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You say you haven't been on a bike in 20 years. I think I would start with something a little smaller and easier to handle. Look for a clean used Sportster, or a 650 or 750 Japper.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Been away for anytime or want to brush up on your skills, try the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. It truly is a very good course, helps you to become better familiar with good habits and who knows you may learn something new.

Dave

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I guess this is one of those subjects that has been beaten to death over the years. Maybe it's time for a FAQ?

The V-Rod is a very nice machine, no doubt about that. Although I have never piloted one myself I can't imagine that it is more difficult to control than any other bike. In fact, riding most any type motorcycle is a pretty simple and straight forward affair, the problem is riding it safely and staying alive in the long run. While I can certainly understand the desire to go out and buy a hot bike such as the V-Rod I have to question the wisdom of doing so if you have never ridden a motorcycle before. One reason is that you are putting a real expensive piece of machinery on the line when there is a pretty good chance that you will either drop it or have some small accident while learning to ride it. I certainly agree that an MSF course is a must if you plan to get your riding career off to a safe start, but don't think that a course like this can teach you all there is to know about riding. It will take years of practice and experience to acquire the skills that may save your life one day. Sometimes, no amount of experience can prepare you for the potential hazards that awaits you on the road. Riding a motorcycle is a calculated risk, the only time it is safe is when you park. What I'm trying to say here is that a big powerful bike such as the V-Rod may tempt you to do things that you are not ready for. It's easy to get carried away when you rush down the road with a group of friends or have one too many beers at the local tavern before heading home at night. If the V-Rod is what you want, go for it. I started riding 50cc and 100cc bikes before moving up to 750s and 1000cc. I have crashed and I have learned. I am glad that I have come this far without injuries of any kind, and I am glad that the bikes I have crashed were cheap to fix and repair. On an expensive Harley decked out in chrome and custom paint I prefer to keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts