V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started riding in 1966 with a used Vespa from another college guy. I quickly went to a new 305 Yamaha which was a big bike on campus (IU) in those days. I traded for a new 650 BSA in '67. It went through 3 sets of pistons which I found out much later was due to a double firing distributor and it was burning a hole thru the piston. After losing the 3rd set of pistons while riding to New Orleans for Spring Break (fortunately only 20 miles out of town (Bloomington, IN); I went straight to the Harley dealer and bought a brand new '68 Sportster (XLCH). That was the 4th and best bike I had; no problems for the 10 years I owned it. Back then, it was the first Harley on campus. Later that year Fonda's "Easy Rider" came out and the next year there was a Sporter featured on a new show called "then came bronson". Harley sales shot up after that year and AMF bought them soon after.

In those days, I rode it every day rain or shine, mud or flood and zero degree weather with snow. Had to keep both feet on the ground when riding up the hills of Bloomington with 2 to 4 ft of snow on the ground (rodes plowed of course).

I chopped my beloved bike 3 years later. New front wheel 21 inch on a springer front end. New 6 bend handle bars; double rectangular head lights; 38 mm Miukunni carb and drag pipes; king & queen seet with tall sissy bar. I re-painted while it was apart. (see my signature avatar)

I cried when I sold it.

I ordered a new deuce in 2002, but had to use the money to do a build out on my office, so . . . . I'm still a side walk commando.

Now, I'm selling all my toys for one last hurrah with a new Fat Boy and plan to ride until I am no longer able.

I'll post a picture from those days when I figure out how to do it.

Thanks for your interest,
Joe

·
Registered
817 Posts
Another good story, Welcome in., Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts