V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference, why is one superiour, and what kinds of probs can I expect to have with my 99 FLHRCI? If I have probs, whats involved with changing it to the newer Delphi system? Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seen quite a few guys go from MM injection to carb, but going from MM to Delphi would probably be way too costly to be worth the benefits. Would be better to just trade bikes. HD now has a race tuner for the MM that should help.
PS Most of the people changing out their MM were guys that were looking for 100hp or more.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
DRIMNER1 said:
Whats the difference, why is one superiour, and what kinds of probs can I expect to have with my 99 FLHRCI? If I have probs, whats involved with changing it to the newer Delphi system? Thanks.
If it were me, I wouldn't change it over or worry about it. You can fix it many time before exceeding the cost of changing it out.

But if you want to change it over to the Delphi, you need everything. Wiring harness, intake, throttle body, injectors, sensors, ECM and most likely a SERT to make it run right. $$$$$$$$

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
If you can afford it, get a newer bike with the Delphi. I had a MM on my '98 RK and I'm one of those guys who changed out to a carb. I think the total cost was around 600 bucks or so, it wasn't hard. Took me about two days. I had nothing but problems with the MM, the Delphi is really sweet. When I bought my 2003 EGC I was still gun shy about the injection so I went with a carb'd model. No serious regrets, but knowing what I do now I would have gone with the Delphi. If you are serious about dumping the MM for a carb, email me and I will give you the parts list I used and how to convert your injected tank to a petcock. Thats the hardest part.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far. I already have a 99 FLHRCI so buying a newer bike isnt an option. I dont want to change to carb, although I see benefits to both systems...I just wanted to know why they switched, and if there were any problems with my specific injector system. It runs great for me...it has only 2200 klms.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
DRIMNER1 said:
Thanks for the replies so far. I already have a 99 FLHRCI so buying a newer bike isnt an option. I dont want to change to carb, although I see benefits to both systems...I just wanted to know why they switched, and if there were any problems with my specific injector system. It runs great for me...it has only 2200 klms.
The Delphi essentially monitors more stuff which allows it to control the fuel a little better. I think the difference is 3 sensors on the MM and 5 on the Delphi. I would have to look up the exact difference but that is the basics.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so better fuel consumption in a nutshell? if thats the case, then I don't mind the older version. My engines stock, and will remain that way, as I have no interest in increasing the hp etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
BC Germoly(sp) has a kit to convert MM to Delphi..as for the cost I am not certain. I have a 00" Ultra with the MM that I had bored out and I am getting over 100/100, so it is not necessarily a limiting factor with the right combo. I have had not problems with mine and I have over 90K on my bike. It might be something to look into if that is how you wanna go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts