V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
make sure ya check the gasket on the sending unit mount before ya fill up with 5 gallons of gas.....took the RP out with its new 5 gallon tank today (50 degrees here)...filled up the tank and IMMEDIATELY noticed fuel running out from under the dash...so...had to ride home (fortunately not too far) with gas POURING out of the sending unit hole (packed some paper towels around the dash...didnt help much)...didn't catch on fire and i replaced it with the one from my stock tank.

just a friendly reminder from your Uncle Clif :coffee:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I saw your project on the other thread and I am now looking for a tank. I saw a page on doing that conversion and I must admit I think they made a simple job difficult. Did you use grommets to rubber mount the tank? I am pretty sure I would cut and reweld the brackets. I "frisco" mounted an Ironhead tank that way and it rattled like hell most of the time.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw your project on the other thread and I am now looking for a tank. I saw a page on doing that conversion and I must admit I think they made a simple job difficult. Did you use grommets to rubber mount the tank? I am pretty sure I would cut and reweld the brackets. I "frisco" mounted an Ironhead tank that way and it rattled like hell most of the time.
the original tank wasn't rubber mounted so I really didn't see the need....I did put 1/4" plastic washers between the frame and tank mount.....rode it a short distance..it doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
@gree:

Thats the way I see it

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,764 Posts
I saw your project on the other thread and I am now looking for a tank. I saw a page on doing that conversion and I must admit I think they made a simple job difficult...
Me too. I was very pleasantly surprised at how simple Unca Cliffy made it seem. We're on easy street.

My only remaining question is if the 5 gal tank'll clear the old style FXRT gloveboxes.

joe

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll offer him $84.00 and state he surely must have had the decimal point in the wrong place!
:hystria:
I haven't checked prices on the Golan petcock...maybe its worth $760?

the guy truly is high (like drug high) most of the time :redrolf:

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
make sure ya check the gasket on the sending unit mount before ya fill up with 5 gallons of gas.....took the RP out with its new 5 gallon tank today (50 degrees here)...filled up the tank and IMMEDIATELY noticed fuel running out from under the dash...so...had to ride home (fortunately not too far) with gas POURING out of the sending unit hole (packed some paper towels around the dash...didnt help much)...didn't catch on fire and i replaced it with the one from my stock tank.

just a friendly reminder from your Uncle Clif :coffee:
make sure you replaced any and all sealing screws that hold the canopy/sending unit assy down. Those screws are good for only ONE use only, if you re use them they WILL leak like a sieve.
Tim

·
Registered
181 Posts
Add me to the list for swapping tanks, I also am in the process of setting up another tank. That sexy stretched 4.2 gal tank on OL's FXR only yields 3.2 gallons. that's 70 miles before reserve. The one I bought has the petcock at the rear so I may leave the top mounts as is. Give it the "frisco" look. The Le Pera Barebones solo should fit, send it out for additional padding, narrowing. Any one know of any cool custom dashes???

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Christmas day ride...worked perfect

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like you found a cover for the space between seat nose and dash?. Nice work Clif...
a little leather bib from a guy I know in Kansas...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts