V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 87 evo that I just rebuilt. It was fine for the first few "short" trips but after a 30 min ride I noticed that it was leaking oil from the crank and cam seals. It has all new oil lines that are un restricted. They are all routed correctly. I have the right filter, the breather gear is timed right and only air is coming out of the vent. And it does have the correct cam cover and gasket. Its an plder bottom breather but has breathing heads. It has the non breather rocker boxes so its a bottom breather only. Does anyone have any idea why it would start leaking from 2 brand new seals? And no the seals were not installed dry:confused: Any help or advice would be awesome! Thanks guys....

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I had the same problem. After installing a oil pressure guage, I found I had too much oil pressure at idle (used one of the higher pressure springs). I was rideing before it was good and warm (near hot) that would being down the pressure to about 20 lbs at idle. made no changes other than a longer warm up, and stopped blowing both of those seals.
Probley something else is causing my/your problem, but after two sets of seals, the third set has not leaked, and all where put in the same way. Just my exspirance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it sounds like the same problem. I also has crazy high oil pressure until it gets hot. My oil pump doesnt seem to be scavenging like it should either. Its a new pump. (s&s hvhp) But even a longer warm up dont seem to help me. . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts